What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical fiction. Man worked transferring lumber shipped on a boat, he stole some it and was sentenced to a distant place doing hard labor at a work camp(?). He staked claim to a little island or land, traveled by boat on the river. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments Im looking for a book about a man who had a job transferring lumber shipped on a boat. He stole some of it and put it in his own boat. He was sentenced to a far off place where he had to do hard labor, work camp or something. His family went with. I think he staked claim to a little island or some land, he traveled by boat on the river. I LOVED it and would love to read it again. Thank you so so much. There was also friend of his who had an indian or similar partner which was frowned upon and was maybe killed in the end. Thank you!!!!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments hope i find this book

message 3: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
The Secret River, maybe?

message 4: by Kris (last edited Jan 22, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Karen, I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to edit it using the desktop website (not the mobile app).

Andria's suggestion of The Secret River by Kate Grenville matches your description.

Some Goodreads reviewers say, "...an historical novel about a London convict and his wife who are sent to Australia after the convict is caught stealing a patron's lumber. The descriptions of his life in London paint a grim picture of poverty and hardship. When caught stealing, a boatman is sent with his young wife and child to Australia." | "Over time, Thornhill achieves the status of an emancipated convict and settles on a stretch of land on the Hawkesbury River." | "He is sentenced to the penal colony of New South Wales. His wife and son go with him to Australia... After they arrive in Syndey they find a way to make it 50 miles north and William claims 100 acres as his."

Here is the Google Books preview - https://books.google.com/books?id=s8P...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Karen, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret River (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kate Grenville (other topics)