Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > February Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our February group read and discussion (beginning February 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories every other month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate months. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our February discussion topic. Altered Carbon has already been selected as our January Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Thursday, January 4, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) A Shadow in Summer by the amazing Daniel Abraham

message 3: by Andrea (last edited Dec 30, 2017 08:50AM) (new)

Andrea | 2509 comments I'm going to toss Mistress of Dragons by Margaret Weis to see what kind of response it gets.

message 4: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments Well, the Long Price Quartet has been on my to-read for awhile, so I won't nominate a competitor.

I enjoyed Weis & Hickman's Death Gate Cycle and read the first few of their Dragonlance books. I'd be interested to see what Weis does in a different setting (though if this one wins the poll, it may take a while for me to acquire a dead tree version).

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

alarm clock   Reminder: Today, Thursday, is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our February group read and discussion.

Tanya (Novel Paperbacks) | 26 comments I am going to nominate Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I've never gotten to his work yet but I am determined to read it this year.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hillary wrote: "Well, the Long Price Quartet has been on my to-read for awhile, so I won't nominate a competitor...."

Ditto. I've read Abraham's other series (Dagger & Coin, Expanse, even his urban fantasy Dark Sun's Daughter)) and have been looking for a chance to read his A Shadow in Summer.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for February is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice. Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that these are nominations for our February discussion topic. Altered Carbon has already been selected as our January Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Thursday, January 11.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 10, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

alarm clock   Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today, Thursday, is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our February group read and discussion.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 12, 2018 07:03AM) (new)

Announcement banner

The poll didn't produce a decisive choice, so I've created a runoff poll between the two top nominees, A Shadow in Summer & Mistborn, The Final Empire.

As always, please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

The runoff poll will be open until Friday, January 19.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

alarm clock   Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the two above nominees with the group, today, Friday, is the final day to vote for one for our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our February group read and discussion.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our Contemporary Fantasy Novel for February's discussion is...

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Mistborn, The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

The discussion will begin February 21.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Commentary: These runoff polls are getting weird, and apparently ineffectual. In our original poll here, Mistborn The Final Empire led A Shadow in Summer 7 to 6 (with three votes for other titles), but in the runoff Mistborn won 6 to 5. I.e., Fewer people voted for both titles in the runoff poll than in the original, and nobody who voted for one of the other titles in the original poll made a second choice of one of the leaders.

The same thing happened with our last classic poll; A Wrinkle in Time drew fewer votes in the runoff round than in the original, with 4 people who voted for the top two choices in the original poll not voting in the runoff and nobody who voted for The Forgotten Beasts of Eld making a 2nd choice.

I'm beginning to suspect runoff polls are pointless.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2509 comments Can't explain why the people who didn't vote for the book the first time didn't vote the second time, but I can explain why someone who didn't vote for the forerunners didn't vote the second time.

For me, I didn't have a preference between the two books, and I wasn't sure if I'd read them so I didn't take my Mistress of Dragons vote and apply it to one of the others. After all there's a rule not to vote if you aren't going to participate.

I may still read Mistborn just because everyone is going so crazy over Sanderson so maybe I should find out what all the fuss is all about :) But Cosmere is a big thing to get into and I'm already got 26 or so books planned out for Pern among others!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) G33z3r wrote: "I'm beginning to suspect runoff polls are pointless. "

They're probably worthwhile if voting ends in a tie.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.