MCLS Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Challenge Has Been Posted!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Dec 28, 2017 01:29PM) (new)

Patricia (patriciau) | 168 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who participated in the category survey. There were 45 responses, and the resulting top 25 categories are now listed in the group as our challenge for 2018.

The format will stay the same. I will do a random drawing at the end of each month and award a $25 Amazon gift card to the lucky winner.

Please make sure your first and last name are both visible to the group. If I don't know who you are, you won't be eligible to win the monthly drawing.

If you would like a fancy paper copy of the list, I've posted a PDF in the MCLS Director's section of the eportal under Professional Reading.

Happy Reading!

Patty

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Dana (cinthied) | 22 comments Love the categories, excited to begin! Thanks for doing this again.

message 3: by Mary Jo (new)

Mary Jo | 32 comments I'm excited Newbery and Caldecott winners are included! Yay for children's literature! Mary Jo

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Premo | 23 comments Another great challenge! Question: will there be new bookshelves for 2018, or should we create them as we go? Happy New Year!

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Diane wrote: "Another great challenge! Question: will there be new bookshelves for 2018, or should we create them as we go? Happy New Year!"

Add the categories as you go.

Patty

message 6: by Mary Jo (last edited Jan 02, 2018 09:06PM) (new)

Mary Jo | 32 comments Caldecott winner--The Hello, Goodbye Window, by Norton Juster, illustrated by Chris Raschka. Mary Jo Smith

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire Talbot | 17 comments When I signed in I was told to add a shelf - I did, but it shows on my personal Goodreads? How do I add my books to get credit here? Sorry to be thick -
Claire

message 8: by Patricia (new)

You have to go to the Group Bookshelf and add a book, then select the shelf you want. I added shelves for all the topics last night.

Patty

message 9: by Bob (new)

Bob | 3 comments If you go to add a book to get credit and it turns out it was added before (last year), how do you get credit?

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Start a discussion topic and list it there.

message 11: by Mary Jo (new)

Mary Jo | 32 comments One word title--Moonglow, by Michael Chabon. Fabulous. Mary Jo

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne Brown | 12 comments I just finished my challenge with my last book, "Winter" by Marissa Meyer, last night! Here is my complete list:

100 Pages or Less - We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Also Song Title - Into the Woods by Robert Lupine and Steven Sondheim
Author With Same Initials - The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
Book/Movie Combo - The Ugly Duckling and Other Stories by Hans Christian Anderson (contained The Little Mermaid and The Snow Queen Stories)
Caldecott Winner - Make Way For Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Character with Special Needs - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
English Translation - The Snowman by Jo Nesbo
First Name in Title - Cress by Mariss Meyer
1st in a Trilogy or Series - Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce
Gorgeous Cover - The Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
Great Depression - The Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon
Green Cover - Can She Bake A Cherry Pie? American Women and the Kitchen in the Twentieth Century by Mary Drake McFeely
LGBTQ+ Character - Forward by Abby Wambach
Makes You Believe in Magic - In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce
Makes You Cry - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Memoir - Home: A Memoir of My Early Years by Julie Andrews Edwards
Newberry Award Winner - The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
One Word Title - Winter by Marissa Meyer
Set in the 1920s - The Diviners by Libba Bray
Set in the Place You Were Born - These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
Someone Else Picked for You - Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Started But Never Finished - Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Ugly Cover - The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace
Wanted to Read in 2017 - The Children of Men by P.D. James
Written Before You Were Born - The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie

Patti thanks again for organizing this! I had a lot of fun with these categories =)

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Anna,

Congratulations on completing the challenge!!

Patty