Obsessed with True Crime discussion

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
This topic is about I'll Be Gone in the Dark
True Crime Published 2018 > I'll Be Gone in the Dark

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Dec 28, 2017 01:11PM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3358 comments Mod
One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
Expected publication: February 27th 2018 by Harper

Fishface | 12083 comments WHICH Golden State Killer? California has had more than its share of those...

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "WHICH Golden State Killer? California has had more than its share of those..."

You'll have to read the book ***laughs evilly as she runs away***

message 4: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

"A masterful true crime account of the Golden State Killer—the elusive serial rapist turned murderer who terrorized California for over a decade—from Michelle McNamara, the gifted journalist who died tragically while investigating the case.

"You’ll be silent forever, and I’ll be gone in the dark."

For more than ten years, a mysterious and violent predator committed fifty sexual assaults in Northern California before moving south, where he perpetrated ten sadistic murders. Then he disappeared, eluding capture by multiple police forces and some of the best detectives in the area.

Three decades later, Michelle McNamara, a true crime journalist who created the popular website TrueCrimeDiary.com, was determined to find the violent psychopath she called "the Golden State Killer." Michelle pored over police reports, interviewed victims, and embedded herself in the online communities that were as obsessed with the case as she was.

At the time of the crimes, the Golden State Killer was between the ages of eighteen and thirty, Caucasian, and athletic—capable of vaulting tall fences. He always wore a mask. After choosing a victim—he favored suburban couples—he often entered their home when no one was there, studying family pictures, mastering the layout. He attacked while they slept, using a flashlight to awaken and blind them. Though they could not recognize him, his victims recalled his voice: a guttural whisper through clenched teeth, abrupt and threatening.

I’ll Be Gone in the Dark—the masterpiece McNamara was writing at the time of her sudden death—offers an atmospheric snapshot of a moment in American history and a chilling account of a criminal mastermind and the wreckage he left behind. It is also a portrait of a woman’s obsession and her unflagging pursuit of the truth. Framed by an introduction by Gillian Flynn and an afterword by her husband, Patton Oswalt, the book was completed by Michelle’s lead researcher and a close colleague. Utterly original and compelling, it is destined to become a true crime classic—and may at last unmask the Golden State Killer."

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments My husband just ordered this for me and I'm ecstatic!! Has anyone read it yet?

message 6: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Ashleigh wrote: "My husband just ordered this for me and I'm ecstatic!! Has anyone read it yet?"

I haven't, let us know what you think!

Sheryl | 46 comments Yes, and it's excellent. I so wish she had lived to finish it herself. I broke down and had to get a Kindle version of it!

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments I've heard a lot of people say that where she left off and the others picked up writing doesn't flow together very well. But I'm still excited to read it!

Erin  | 374 comments I just finished it and loved it. Had Michelle McNamara lived I think she would have solved the case. The amount of work she put in was staggering. This was the rare TC book that genuinely made me feel ill at ease.

Olivia Newton Somehow reading about the part about how the boys discovered the body of Kathleen Lombardo gripped me to no end, especially when McNamara wrote in the last section about the man/neighbor who asked, "What's going on here." How I wish that case was solved. To me, it seemed so nearing to being solved. If only the boys could ID the man or if their parents knew who the neighbor was...

Erin  | 374 comments An arrest has been made in the case. Press conference at 3 pm EST.

Erin  | 374 comments Joseph James DeAngelo 72 year old former police officer was arrested early this morning.

Sheryl | 46 comments Just heard about this --amazed and excited:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/arti...

Erin  | 374 comments Me too! My first thought was "Michelle, you did it".

Sheryl | 46 comments Erin wrote: "Me too! My first thought was "Michelle, you did it"."

YES!!!!!!!!!

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments You guys I'm almost in tears!! This is incredible!!! I can't believe he was an ex-cop. I still haven't started reading her book, but this makes me want to drop everything and binge read it immediately.

Erin  | 374 comments Drop everything and READ IT!! Ashleigh.
I knew he would be in law enforcement.

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments I'm so emotional. lol I believe with everything in my heart, Michelle's hard work and dedication is why this is being solved. So incredible.

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments You mentioned a press conference, Erin. Do you know where I can catch it? I'm on the east coast.

Erin  | 374 comments Ashleigh wrote: "You mentioned a press conference, Erin. Do you know where I can catch it? I'm on the east coast."

I know that HLN is airing it at 3pm Eastern Standard Time.

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Watching the press conference & I'm a little frustrated because the sheriff won't state what made them look at Joseph James Deangelo. I know there are some things he's not at liberty to discuss and comment on, but would that information be something he couldn't talk about? I'm really curious how they came upon him. They keep bringing up DNA in answer to those questions. But I'm assuming the DNA is how they are linking him to the crimes, not how they actually found him. And since I haven't read Michelle's novel, does anyone know if she mentioned Deangelo at all in her novel? I know the sheriff said I'll Be Gone In The Dark did not lead to the arrest, but I've read several posts on forums that say she talked about Deangelo in her book.

Erin  | 374 comments Yeah I stopped watching the press conference because it's poorly put together.

In the book she doesn't name him but she does talk about 2 chief suspects that she wouldn't name for legal reasons,1 was an ex-cop.

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Gosh I really got start this book.

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Also, I've been thinking. I know they've been talking to Deangelo's family. How incredible would it be if someone in his family had read Michelle's book and made the connection and contacted police? They still haven't commented on how the targeted Deangelo.

Fishface | 12083 comments And I figure that's why they're not talking about it. Someone in a dicey position -- family or co-worker -- spilled the beans and they are trying to protect him or her. I read somewhere that someone obtained DNA from DeAngelo in a sneakybutt way reminiscent of the BTK capture -- they had lunch with him and swiped his fork or something -- but they're dancing around those circumstances.

I daresay it will all come out at the trial, if DeAngelo doesn't go all Green River Killer on us and plead guilty.

I downloaded the book the day I heard of the arrest and I feel bound to say it must have been a very different read before that happened. Now I have someone nice and clear to compare all that evidence to.

message 26: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "And I figure that's why they're not talking about it. Someone in a dicey position -- family or co-worker -- spilled the beans and they are trying to protect him or her. I read somewhere that someone obtained DNA from DeAngelo in a sneakybutt way reminiscent of the BTK capture -- they had lunch with him and swiped his fork or something -- but they're dancing around those circumstances.

I daresay it will all come out at the trial, if DeAngelo doesn't go all Green River Killer on us and plead guilty.

I downloaded the book the day I heard of the arrest and I feel bound to say it must have been a very different read before that happened. Now I have someone nice and clear to compare all that evidence to. "

Sheryl | 46 comments I heard last night that they made the match through using a "commercial DNA" database, like Ancestry.com, or something similar. I'm guessing it might come out later that they obtained his DNA, as you said, from a fork or disposable cup, or cigarette butt, etc.

I also heard that Patton Oswalt, et al are planning to write a new chapter to the book reflecting the arrest. Awesome!

When I first read the blog True Crime Diary by Michelle McNamara, I was stunned " "How have I never heard about this killer?" Next thought was: "They will never catch him after all this time." Ecstatic to be proven wrong!

My parents lived in East Sacramento in an area close to many of the rapes - although they were rather "relaxed" about crime. My mother saw a man trying the locked door of their garage one morning at 3 am - through the kitchen window, which was maybe 10 ft. away -- he waved; she waved. End of story. Sorry Mom, for telling on you! (She's been off this mortal plane for 21 years).

Erin  | 374 comments In the book Michelle talks about using DNA websites like Ancestry.com or 23 & Me to catch him.

message 29: by Fishface (last edited Apr 27, 2018 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fishface | 12083 comments What surprises me is that the book indicates it's been known for ages and ages that the Original Night Stalker, Visalia Ransacker, and East Area Rapist are all the same guy. I didn't know it until I started reading this book.

As someone who worked in rape-crisis agencies for 5 years -- and thinking uneasily of what I read in Yorkshire Ripper - The Secret Murders: The True Story of How Peter Sutcliffe's Terrible Reign of Terror Claimed at Least Twenty-Two More Lives -- I am wondering just how many rapes by this guy we'll never hear about. I would expect reporting to be higher if you suspect you're the latest victim of a serial rapist, and of course stranger rapes are much more often reported than acquaintance rapes, but the fact remains that most rapes never get reported to anyone. And this was a busy, busy guy.

How many more?

And thinking of Janelle Cruz, are there more murders we haven't heard about yet?

Sheryl | 46 comments I know, and I've been hearing in the news talk of testing more of the backlog of rape kits to see if he's implicated in any. I hope this happens!

I wonder also, about more murders

--Sheryl

Fishface | 12083 comments Testing backlogged rape kits is what nailed serial killer Shelly Brooks in Detroit. I am all in favor.

Sheryl | 46 comments Interesting - I didn't know that. There is talk about the privacy concerns of accessing DNA through genealogical sites, but I'm hoping that won't turn into anything significant, at least vis a vis prosecuting him. I realize it's a whole new ethical area, but if it weren't for familial DNA, they wouldn't have caught the Grim Sleeper in South LA (slightly different case, as his son's DNA was in a criminal database.)

Fishface | 12083 comments The BTK case is an interesting one when it comes to DNA privacy. It seems like, after the killer mailed the police a computer disc with his freaking name and his church's address on it, they wouldn't have needed a lot more, because they were able to link it, I forget how, to his mailing of Vicki Wegerle's driver's license. But I guess they wanted more, and got a sample of his daughter's DNA from a Pap smear she had done at her college health clinic, which nailed him for good and all. I can't believe she doesn't feel weird about that.

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments I really hope he just confesses/pleads guilty. The DNA issue is worrying me. And I'd hate for him to get acquitted. Has anyone heard any news about whether Deangelo is talking??

Fishface | 12083 comments A retired cop? Talking to his lawyer, maybe. He'd be a pure fool to say anything in public.

message 36: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1266 comments He's not a retired cop, though - he hasn't been a cop for forty years, and was only one for a few years, until he got fired, not retired. So I wouldn't count it out.

Fishface | 12083 comments Well, the other point is that the guy seems to lack self-control, to put it mildly. But -- fired or retired! -- I would expect him to have the brains to keep his trap shut. He was a very, very planful guy and I doubt he failed to plan for the possibility of getting caught.

Sheryl | 46 comments Fishface - didn't know that about BTK's daughter's DNA, and how they acquired it!

message 39: by Fishface (last edited May 04, 2018 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fishface | 12083 comments Sheryl wrote: "Fishface - didn't know that about BTK's daughter's DNA, and how they acquired it!"

Yeah. I picture that giving her a pretty oogy feeling. At least it would me.