Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Shawn H's 2018 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (last edited Sep 24, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Shawn | 124 comments B1: Written by Nobel Laureate For Whom the Bell Tolls or A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
B2: Children’s Classic The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
B3 Government Banned Book The Jungle by Upton Sinclair / Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence / Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
B4: Classic Made into a Film/TV A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
B5: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (Deutscher Krimi Preis for 1. Platz International (1989) /

I1: 20th Century Classic The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
I2: New-to-You Author The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West / It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
I3: Mystery or Crime Classic The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
I4: Classic of More than 500 Pages The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas / The Magus by John Fowles / Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell / Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
I5: 18th Century or Earlier Classic Plutarch's Lives, Vol 1 by Plutarch / The Monk by Matthew Lewis / LeMorte D'Arthur by Thomas Malory

N1: North American Classic The 42nd Parallel by John dos Passos / Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe
N2: Classic Short Story The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe
N3: FREE SPACE Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut
N4: Classic Play The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare / Our Town by Thornton Wilder
N5: African Classic Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen

G1: 19th Century Classic Sailing Alone around the World by Joshua Slocum / The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal
G2: Finest Works of Fiction (Martin Seymour-Smith & Editors) Humboldt's Gift by Saul Bellow / The Castle by Franz Kafka
G3: Adventure or Action Classic Around the World in Eighty Days or The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne / The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle / The Sea Wolf by Jack London
G4: Group Read The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells
G5: 21st Century Potential Classic The Revenant by Michael Punke (2002) Empire Falls by Richard Russo (2001) / Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler

O1: Literary Prize of Your Country/Region Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck
O2: Lesser known book by a famous author The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky / Letters from Hawaii by Mark Twain
O3: Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
O4: A Classic that you have put off reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
O5: Classic written by a Female Author The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

3/25

reply | flag *

message 2: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 124 comments This will be my third crack at this challenge. To say I have struggled would be an understatement. I have so many classics on my TBR shelf and I want to make a better effort at tackling them. Hopefully 2018 is my year.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9651 comments Mod
Glad you decided to try again! Hope you have fun reading in 2018

message 4: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2687 comments Don't give up! Anything you read is a plus :)
Enjoy reading!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 755 comments I think you have some good ones on your list...enjoy the challenge!

message 6: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 966 comments Don’t worry Shawn, I think a lot of people are like us, hoping for those elusive bingos :O)
Lots of great titles. Good luck with your challenge.

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 124 comments I feel like this is going to be my year! I'm currently reading The Wizard of Oz, so I'm off to a good start.

message 8: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 124 comments I have successfully matched last years effort! I completed The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum for my first square, B2.

I was pleasantly surprised by the differences between the book and the classic movie. I also found the book to be a bit more sinister than the movie. All in all, a very enjoyable read and good start to 2018.

I think I may continue reading the series and see how it goes.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Shawn wrote: "I have successfully matched last years effort! I completed The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum for my first square, B2.

I was pleasantly surprised by the differ..."

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I also have that one on my bingo list. I'm planning on reading the series eventually. My father in law bought me the entire series for my birthday a couple years ago, but I never got around to reading them yet! Good luck with your challenge!

message 10: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 124 comments I have completed my 2nd book - The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene for the I1 square.

I enjoyed this one very much. Quite a few thought provoking themes in this one.

On to my third square...

message 11: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2687 comments Shawn wrote: "I have completed my 2nd book - The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene for the I1 square.

I enjoyed this one very much. Quite a few thought provoking themes in this one...."

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'll be reading it for a challenge this year also, and am looking forward to it!

message 12: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 124 comments I have finally finished my 3rd book of the year - The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells for G4.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I found the story to be quite interesting. I also enjoyed the ending very much, which shocked me considering how quickly everything came to an end.

Although a short book, it leaves you with a lot to think about.

I look forward to tackling number 4 before the year ends.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1578 comments That's good to hear, Shawn. I will be reading that book before the end of the year, and wasn't sure if I would like it, even though I am a big of Wells's writing.

message 14: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2687 comments Shawn wrote: "I have finally finished my 3rd book of the year - The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells for G4.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I found the story to be quite ..."

Wow, three whole books, huh? You're really barrelling through this challenge! Haha! Just teasing!
Glad you enjoyed Dr. Moreau. I also read this fairly recently and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
Now, get off the computer -- you need to get started on Book #4 so you can get finished by the end of the year! ;)
P.S. You have a wonderful list! If I was you, I'd just keep this list and get through it, even if it takes a while. Lots of good ones there! :)

message 15: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 124 comments Rosemarie - I hope you enjoy it.

Terris, thanks for the encouragement. I hope to tackle the books on my list, even if it takes a little longer than this year!

Happy reading!

message 16: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2687 comments Shawn wrote: "Rosemarie - I hope you enjoy it.

Terris, thanks for the encouragement. I hope to tackle the books on my list, even if it takes a little longer than this year!

Happy reading!"

Haha! Glad you have a sense of humor.
I have been working on most of those for my whole life. You probably have awhile ;)
Just enjoy reading!