Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Night of Knives (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #1)
This topic is about Night of Knives
Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Night of Knives [Oct 5, 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7417 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Night of Knives by Ian C. Esslemont starting October 5, 2018.
Night of Knives (Novels of the Malazan Empire, #1) by Ian C. Esslemont

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Sep 10, 2018 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Prologue

(view spoiler)

A Path within Shadow

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Oct 02, 2018 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

Chapter 2

(view spoiler)

Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Oct 06, 2018 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

Epilogue

(view spoiler)

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments So this is what we are reading after Midnight Tides?

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess wrote: "So this is what we are reading after Midnight Tides?"

Yes.

message 7: by Veronica (last edited Sep 14, 2018 04:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I have somehow ended up with two physical copies of this book. If someone would like one, I'll be happy to mail it to you. First person to respond gets it.

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finally through chapter 1. I've just been swamped at work. I should still comfortably have the notes done but there isn't nearly as much to write about in Empire as there is in BotF so don't be too disappointed.

message 9: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
Agreed. Especially in this first one. I think ICE gets more interesting as his series goes on.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Starting this. I’ve read quite a few negative comments. Hopefully, I can get through it.

As always, thank you Scott for the notes 🙂

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I should be starting this today. I've heard the same things, Barry. At this point, I'm just after the information (the "facts") and am not concerning myself with the style of delivery. :-)

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're welcome on the notes.

I'm actually enjoying the re-read of this more than the first time through. It still has an awkward delivery so the facts are definitely the WTF.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I am just debating what to read next: this or the core by Brett. I am equally skeptical about both.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Mayim wrote: "I am just debating what to read next: this or the core by Brett. I am equally skeptical about both."

This one is shorter. :-)

And doesn't have Leesha in it. ;-)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments True, but I expect to hate the Core and then come here for a breather. I know I should not expect Erikson's quality, but still, surely this will be better than a 'cockalypse' or whatever Petrik called the Core.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Haha, I avoided the cockalypse (genius!) and bailed on that series midway through book 3.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I have only one left in the series. I do it for my team...

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments A few pages into Ch 2

Well, the prologue is Erikson-esque in terms of writing style and foreshadowing. Ch 1 is also quite Eriskon-esque in the little hints provided by ICE wrt the various characters.

I quite enjoy reading Temper's pov, and am looking forward to finding out who exactly he is. On the other hand, I can't say I enjoy Kiska's pov as much. So far she appears to be rather bland.

Onto Ch 2.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Finished through chapter one. It's not SE's layered prose - and there have been some awkwardly constructed sentences here and there - but it's not as terrible as I was expecting either.

I'm still wondering what would be so bad if Kellanved did return. It's not like Surly seems like the warm-hearted, cuddly type either.

I'm hoping Kiska turns out to be more than just the YA character who wants to prove how much of a hot shot she is. That's exactly why I don't read YA. If this was SE I'd be more confident but I don't know this ICE dude yet so I'm standing here with an arched eyebrow, tapping my foot.

I got a new notebook because I filled up my first one. So far I haven't had to put much in it. :-)

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica wrote: "I'm hoping Kiska turns out to be more than just the YA character who wants to prove how much of a hot shot she is. That's exactly why I don't read YA. If this was SE I'd be more confident but I don't know this ICE dude yet so I'm standing here with an arched eyebrow, tapping my foot."

While I don't hate her like say Lift from SA she's no Apsalar or Tavore. I really can't be specific at this point. We don't even know that she survives the night at this point or if she's a series stalwart.

message 21: by Veronica (last edited Oct 05, 2018 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments No one is as annoying as Lift.

Finished chapter two and I'm enjoying the story so far. I'm certainly curious about what's happening and what's going to happen. It's all part of the mythos so I'm in.

I kind of like Kellanved (and his alter ego)...though I have no idea if that's a bad thing or not, lol.

message 22: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 6716 comments Up to Ch 3.… No, Lift takes the prize for the most annoying character ever! I like Kiska and I am rooting for her to survive. After all, this is Malazan and characters die all the time... Temper is awesome, and you just know that (view spoiler) ...The "short person" is most likely not a fan of his 😈

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Oh, look. The end of the book has a nice little glossary that includes at least some of the Warrens and what they're a Path for. I could've used that a lot earlier. :-)

*I'm not done yet, was just peeking ahead to see how many pages are in the book.*

message 24: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments I started yesterday. A re-read for me. The book is really different from all the other Malazan books (both Erikson and Esslemont's) anything in Malazan and if not for the length, it is has a novella flavor given not much of a (view spoiler) so it is somewhat unfair to compare to other Malazan works.

The prologue - some of the language is fairly clunky and the word choice seems over the top - first-time author choice. Wonder if a different editor would have told him to reword some of it. Once you get into the first chapter with Temper though its distinctly Malazan and I don't have an issue with the prose.

Now I just have to remember if Kiska annoys me or not. Certainly not on a Lift level as I'd remember that ;)

Slick | 93 comments HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG..

How did I never see the Kiska/Lift connection? XD

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Slick wrote: "HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG..

How did I never see the Kiska/Lift connection? XD"

There are very few characters in Lift's category. Kiska is the one character in either series that I've continually rolled my eyes at their actions. You roll your eyes at somebody like Uballa, Pust or Kruppe sure but that's intentional.

message 27: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Ch 3 after Kiska’s visit with Agayla...

(view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Beginning of Ch 5

I agree that Kiska so far is pretty useless (view spoiler)

Kiska and her aunt
(view spoiler)

Kiska and the one whom she's supposed to give the message to
(view spoiler)

Temper
(view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm almost done with chapter three and the thing about Kiska is that I have no clear idea why she's doing what she's doing other than wanting some excitement. (view spoiler) I don't hate her; I think she's basically a good person but I also think she's an idiot with not much common sense.

I am enjoying Temper's part of the story and getting some of the history on Dassem.

message 30: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Veronica wrote: "I'm almost done with chapter three and the thing about Kiska is that I have no clear idea why she's doing what she's doing other than wanting some excitement. [spoilers removed] I don't hate her; I..."

Yep. She’s def an idiot. Post Ch3...(view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Exactly! I'm done with the book now and my opinion of her didn't change. (view spoiler) All that excitement potentially in her future. Stupid, stupid girl. I could've done without her presence in the story.

Oh well, it was still cool to get the story of the night Kellanved and Dancer took the Shadow Throne. (view spoiler)

Regarding Dassem...(view spoiler)

message 32: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Post Ch4...(view spoiler)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Through chapter 3. I was hoping to read Kellanved's POV and I got Kiska's instead. Yay!

message 34: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Samir wrote: "Through chapter 3. I was hoping to read Kellanved's POV and I got Kiska's instead. Yay!"

Lol. Yea, she really bites. But her POV does tell us a bit about KV!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I had never pictured Kellanved the way he's described here.

@Samir - LOL, not a fair trade?

message 36: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Veronica wrote: "I had never pictured Kellanved the way he's described here.

@Samir - LOL, not a fair trade?"

Read only if youre readig Ch5. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess wrote: "Post Ch4...."

(view spoiler)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Veronica wrote: "I had never pictured Kellanved the way he's described here.

@Samir - LOL, not a fair trade?"

Totally fair. Who would want to watch the star player when you can enjoy watching the one on the bench constantly yelling to his coach: "Pick me, pick me!"

message 39: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Forgive my memory, but this is the Deadhouse that Kalam entered, correct? After he met up w Laseen and Topper?

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess wrote: "Forgive my memory, but this is the Deadhouse that Kalam entered, correct? After he met up w Laseen and Topper?"

I know we've already read it but in case somebody who hasn't enters the thread.

(view spoiler)

message 41: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Scott wrote: "Jess wrote: "Forgive my memory, but this is the Deadhouse that Kalam entered, correct? After he met up w Laseen and Topper?"

I know we've already read it but in case somebody who hasn't enters the..."

Shiz, Ive gotta find that passage and re-read it!

message 42: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Done. I cant say I really enjoyed it. Some wording was odd. Left some questions for me, but not the good anticipatory questions of “what does this really mean” like Erickson’s leaves.

message 43: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Veronica wrote: "Exactly! I'm done with the book now and my opinion of her didn't change. [spoilers removed] All that excitement potentially in her future. Stupid, stupid girl. I could've done without her presence ..."

Veronica, I thought Traveler was someone else familiar to us. Wasnt the Traveler described as a Dal Honese? I didnt think Daseem had actually died, nor that he was of Honese descent? Doesn’t someone have to die to Ascend?

message 44: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Exactly! I'm done with the book now and my opinion of her didn't change. [spoilers removed] All that excitement potentially in her future. Stupid, stupid girl. I could've done with..."

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Veronica (last edited Oct 09, 2018 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Jess wrote: "Veronica, I thought Traveler was someone else familiar to us. Wasnt the Traveler described as a Dal Honese? I didnt think Daseem had actually died, nor that he was of Honese descent? Doesn’t someone have to die to Ascend? "

I don't have my notes with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure Dassem (view spoiler)

ETA: Plus, Scott says so. :-)

message 46: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Well, crud. I cant believe I was wrong on Traveller (view spoiler)

message 47: by Veronica (last edited Oct 09, 2018 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Well now I'm sad (view spoiler)! :*(

message 48: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm not sure how you came up with that one. The descriptions don't match at all. I've alluded to those three being the same person and I think I spelled it out during HoC.

message 49: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Scott wrote: "I'm not sure how you came up with that one. The descriptions don't match at all. I've alluded to those three being the same person and I think I spelled it out during HoC."

I knew Daseem was Dessembre!
WJ (view spoiler)

message 50: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess wrote: "."

I do not remember WJ's origins ever being revealed. It got me wondering if I had missed it so I searched and even in P2A it's not mentioned. Veronica has pictured him as Samuel Elliot which isn't far off from how most see him. That doesn't fit Traveller at all.

« previous 1