Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2018 Read Harder Challenge > Prime, sales, borrowing, etc.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments I have a few books slotted for this reading challenge, but graphic novels, etc. are going to be challenging. I'm wondering whether folks can notify us when one goes on sale (I read on my Kindle) and/or they come available for borrowing from Amazon Prime. Any other tips would be welcome. For another challenge I was stumped until someone pointed me to YouTube where I found a free book that was read to me. I just don't want to purchase anything I wouldn't normally read and/or pay more than a couple of dollars. I have so many books on my TBR shelves already. Thanks.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 12 comments Therese wrote: "I have a few books slotted for this reading challenge, but graphic novels, etc. are going to be challenging. I'm wondering whether folks can notify us when one goes on sale (I read on my Kindle) an..."

I found everything that I plan to read at my library, including the graphic novels. They have print editions, but see if your library has OverDrive or Hoopla or ComicsPlus if you prefer e-books. All three of the ones I just mentioned have graphic novels (though for OverDrive, it will depend on what titles your library has purchased). If you need help, your library should be able to help you (though I'm happy to talk you through OverDrive or Hoopla on here). Hope that helps!

message 3: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments Thank you so much for your helpfulness, but I haven't been to a library since I was a child and don't have a way to get there.

message 4: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 16 comments Therese wrote: "Thank you so much for your helpfulness, but I haven't been to a library since I was a child and don't have a way to get there."

Therese, if you are housebound, many libraries do have a Home Delivery program for people who can not physically make it into the library. Would you be able to look in to that?

Which challenges besides the graphic novel challenge are you concerned about? 4, 8, and 18 seem to be the comic book ones. Are there any others that concern you?

message 5: by Candace (new)

Candace (candaceloves) | 136 comments I’m using the library. I had to order my book for the protagonist over 60 task on Amazon and bought a random book with a cover I hate, but other than that I’ve been putting books on hold at the library.

message 6: by Brooklyn (last edited Dec 28, 2017 12:38PM) (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 81 comments I have a library card from the Brooklyn Public Library. I live in AL, so no way to get to NY. But I did it all online. No need to be present.

If you are willing to pay the out-of-state $50/year fee, then you can do it all online and don't have to go anywhere. If you live in NY, then I'm sure you could call them and work something out. Or they have an eCard option (NY residents only) for just the digital stuff that you can get without having to physically visit a branch.

They have a very good, very large selection of books and they are good at purchasing recommended books through Overdrive as well. To me, it's well worth the $50/yr and I end up saving so much in the end.

message 7: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments Wow, I never knew that. However I think I will stick with the books that I read from Amazon. I hate change. Besides it works. I'm just looking for a few extra ideas for a couple of these reading prompts.

message 8: by Octavia (new)

Octavia Cade | 133 comments For comics/graphic novels, Ursula Vernon's "Digger" series (there's six of them) are all available for free online on her website, and she'd count for a comic written and illustrated by the same person AND not published by the big three (they're also available in hard copy from Sofawolf Press). They are also heartbreakingly excellent.

Volume 1 starts here: http://diggercomic.com/blog/2007/02/0...

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Hoehne | 44 comments Therese wrote: "Wow, I never knew that. However I think I will stick with the books that I read from Amazon. I hate change. Besides it works. I'm just looking for a few extra ideas for a couple of these reading pr..."

Your local library may have digital books. Many libraries have Overdrive or Hoopla. With Overdrive, you can check out books from the library and download the Kindle version.

message 10: by Deb (new)

Deb (otherdeb) | 11 comments Brooklyn wrote: "I have a library card from the Brooklyn Public Library. I live in AL, so no way to get to NY. But I did it all online. No need to be present.

If you are willing to pay the out-of-state $50/year f..."

I love the Brooklyn Public Library. Their online catalog is a thing of beauty, and their selection of e-books is beyond excellent. If you ever do get to NYC, I'd love to show you some of the branches and the Central Library, which is - conveniently - a long block's walk from the Brooklyn Museum.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Davis | 17 comments Brooklyn wrote: "I have a library card from the Brooklyn Public Library. I live in AL, so no way to get to NY. But I did it all online. No need to be present.

If you are willing to pay the out-of-state $50/year f..."

Thank you so much for sharing this info!! I will definitely look into getting an out of state card!

My sisters and I have been sharing our library card numbers with each other for years! Between us, we have access to the libraries in Cincinnati, Nashville, Los Angeles and 4 libraries throughout Kentucky. All three of us use Overdrive for reading - almost exclusively. And between all of the libraries, one of them is bound to have any book I could ever want to read. Plus, my library in Northern Kentucky almost always buys the books that I request.

Another possible resource: My local library partners with the surrounding counties and with Cincinnati's Public library for free. You should definitely check with your library to see if they do something similar so you can have access to ALL THE BOOKS.

message 12: by Haley (new)

Haley (haleyhamilton) | 23 comments Therese wrote: "I have a few books slotted for this reading challenge, but graphic novels, etc. are going to be challenging. I'm wondering whether folks can notify us when one goes on sale (I read on my Kindle) an..."

www.panelsyndicate.com has free/pay what you want comics that will definitely work for all the tasks this year

message 13: by Charity (new)

Charity | 11 comments For anyone using the library, I've just discovered that my library's OverDrive site actually has a list of suggestions specifically for this challenge's prompts #1 & 2. Not sure if this is a local library thing or an OverDrive thing, but wanted to mention it.

message 14: by novelteathoughts (new)

novelteathoughts | 61 comments Check to see if your library does Interlibrary loans (ILL) through worldcat.org! If it does, you can get all the books (usually) without purchasing. I've even gotten hard to find books, only published by a local publishing company, in translation. I was afraid I'd have to buy those at $15 a pop!

message 15: by Tania (new)

Tania | 34 comments I was able to find all the comics I needed for this challenge through Prime Reading. It's easier on the computer but doable on the app as well - after going to Browse the Catalogue, click Filter, choose the Category option, then choose the comics & graphic novels category, you'll get a list of what's currently available.

message 16: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 81 comments Melissa wrote: "Brooklyn wrote: "I have a library card from the Brooklyn Public Library. I live in AL, so no way to get to NY. But I did it all online. No need to be present.

If you are willing to pay the out-of..."

That's awesome! My sister and I share library cards as well. Neither of our locals are not nearly as awesome as the Brooklyn library as far as selection goes. But my local offers Hoopla, so I make heavy use of it as well. They are great for finding comics and graphic novels.

message 17: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments Tania wrote: "I was able to find all the comics I needed for this challenge through Prime Reading. It's easier on the computer but doable on the app as well - after going to Browse the Catalogue, click Filter, c..."

Thank you so much. It has been a great help to me as well.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 2 comments For those living in NY state, you can get a library card from any library in the state for free. I have cards for the NY Public Library and Brooklyn, as well as my local library. Instructions are on the websites, you just send proof of id and they send you the card #. AWESOME!

message 19: by Mya (new)

Mya R | 279 comments Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal is currently available for free if you have Amazon Prime. I'm reading it for task #8, a comic written or illustrated by a person of color.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melly2508) Amazon is currently having a HUGE $.99 sale on Marvel comic for Kindle that may fit certain prompts.