Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #1)
This topic is about Blood Follows
Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Blood Follows [Mar 30, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7025 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Blood Follows by Steven Erikson starting March 30, 2018.
Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #1) by Steven Erikson

Chris  (haughtc) | 1628 comments I'll probably join this one, even though I'm currently positioned to run on the other track of Malazan Reads.

#NotConfusedAtAll

message 3: by Hailee (last edited Dec 28, 2017 11:31AM) (new)

Hailee | 2423 comments I don't think I'll be reading the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach series as I can't find some of them for an affordable price. Hopefully I won't be missing out on too much.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Hailee wrote: "I don't think I'll be reading the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach series as I can't find some of them for an affordable price. Hopefully I won't be missing out on too much."

You can pick up books 1, 2 and 3 on Amazon for $9.99

https://www.amazon.com/Bauchelain-Kor...

I think it's worth reading at least the first couple to get a feel for the main characters. They show up in a few spots in the main series and most prominently in the next book Memories of Ice.

Personally I've read them once so I'm out for all of their books. They are a macabre satire. Sort of like if Kruppe, Pust and Freddy Krugger had babies it would be this series. While I enjoyed their books I don't feel the need to re-read them and there's nothing plot wise that people should be able to follow. There are places and characters from the main series you'll want to note but more or less it's a horror comedy.

message 5: by Hailee (last edited Mar 05, 2018 02:56AM) (new)

Hailee | 2423 comments Thanks Scott, I did see this book on UK amazon as well and considered buying it as it was affordable but because it misses out The Wurms of Blearmouth I decided not to bother. Would I be able to buddy read Blood Follows, The Lees of Laughter's End, miss out reading The Wurms... and go onto The Healthy Dead in August and have it make sense?

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments OK, just to clarify. Is this the correct order for the main Malazan BR? In other words, should I read it after the Deadhouse Gates?

message 7: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2423 comments Hi Mayim This is a link to the schedule for reading the series if it helps:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Thanks Hailee. It looks like it is the main current, not side novellas.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments This and the next 2 ARE side novellas... that we're reading in the ultimate ordering... which is why we have 3 Malazan read between now and mid May... we only have 2 weeks between novellas... so this one, April 13th, April 27th, then Book of the Fallen #3 on May 18th

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments With the risk of sounding stupid.
Are we reading this one next? After Deadhouse Gates that is?

Hacen | 881 comments I'm in.

Hacen | 881 comments Laura wrote: "With the risk of sounding stupid.
Are we reading this one next? After Deadhouse Gates that is?"

Yes

Solseit | 1456 comments I am so ready to start!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I am dreading it actually.

Brian | 877 comments I might start early. 😃

message 16: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Hailee wrote: "I don't think I'll be reading the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach series as I can't find some of them for an affordable price. Hopefully I won't be missing out on too much."

I have an extra Wurms of Blearmouth! If anyone loves in the US ill happily send!

message 17: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Also, I started today. Very dark, but the same Erickson style of not telling you much and working from there!

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I started and from the get-go, the description of the atmosphere while the bell is ringing... Wow! I have no idea how he does it!

Hacen | 881 comments Starting tonight

message 20: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1712 comments About a third of the way in. this is just pure fun.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I just finished it. It went very fast. A good introduction to our murderous duo:):):)

message 22: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Choko wrote: "I just finished it. It went very fast. A good introduction to our murderous duo:):):)"

You may have a spoiler there.

Im 60% on.
Page 62, Kulp (Elder) is mentioned! Well is pretty obvious that (view spoiler)

message 23: by jess (last edited Apr 01, 2018 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments I’ve finished.

Now that Ive read the whole thing, I do see a difference in writing styles a bit. His writing was more straightforward, I feel. Although we still had to learn about the characters over the course of the novella, there didn’t seem to be that much mystery over what was going on. I could make some predictions.

In his Malazan novels, there are many plots that finally run together at the end. The only real plot here was “Who is killing the citizens of Moll?”

Still enjoyed and look forward to The Lees later this month.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I agree! But his writing stile is just as beautiful as always 😊

Hacen | 881 comments Finished. Very short but left me wanting to know more about the mysterious duo.

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Glad I took a break from Curse of the Mistwraith to avoid falling behind on this, too much... 33% in on this, and really enjoying it... meeting the titular character(s) through Emancipor...

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I love Emancipor! Poor dude, he is just trying to go with the flow and survive:):):)

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Choko wrote: "I love Emancipor! Poor dude, he is just trying to go with the flow and survive:):):)"

Great work ethic...

Timelord Iain | 14879 comments Finished the story... really liked it... can't wait to continue...
just found out about the 2nd collection coming in September:

The Second Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach

Great news considering how expensive The Fiends of Nightmaria is...

message 30: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Iain wrote: "Finished the story... really liked it... can't wait to continue...
just found out about the 2nd collection coming in September:

[book:The Second Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach|30965..."

Too bad we have to read Wurms of Blearmouth before September!

Also, I have two copies of Wurms in case anyone stateside needs it, Ill send your way...

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I totally forgot about this one. Late to the party!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Choko wrote: "I started and from the get-go, the description of the atmosphere while the bell is ringing... Wow! I have no idea how he does it!"

I thought that the opening sequence was absolutely stunning. I could nearly hear those bells!

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Mayim wrote: "Choko wrote: "I started and from the get-go, the description of the atmosphere while the bell is ringing... Wow! I have no idea how he does it!"

I thought that the opening sequence was absolutely ..."

Ne too! His writing, when he decides, is one of the most emotive and picturesque I have ever read!!!!