Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Book attributed to wrong author

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Hall (quietandstrong) | 4 comments Hello, I'm a new author with the same name as an existing author, so my new book came in linked under the other author's name.

Book: Minding Your Time
Kindle ASIN: B078NC3VC5
Paperback ASIN: 1976740819 - ISBN-13: 978-1976740817

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6178 comments You don't - but our librarians magic :D

I'm on it

message 3: by David (new)

David Hall (quietandstrong) | 4 comments Awesome. Thanks!

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6178 comments ugh undererstimated the number of David Halls and the mess they are :D
ehm might take a short while longer with the magic.

GR does differentiate authors with the same name by spaces between first and last name. and I have to check how many are taken already :)

message 5: by ☕ Lachgas ♿ (last edited Dec 28, 2017 11:24AM) (new)

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6178 comments so here's your brand new 7 space profile https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
So if you claim (you can do that here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/conf...) that your name on GR is David^^^^^^^Hall (^=space) that doesn't have to do anything with the search (people can enter David^Hall and will find you) but it's relevant information for librarians in case another book of yours lands on the so called default profile (that with 1 space).
We can move them within seconds then - and it's appreciate if you use the magic word "7 spaces" because otherwise we have to count them by hand ;)

the only way to prevent e.g. import bots from importing it wrong (as probably no one ever enters his name with 1+x spaces on Amazons database) to the 1 space profile is to be faster than the bots.
You can enter the ISBN (for paper books or ebooks (sold in other shops than amazon)) or the ASIN before bots import them (and using your correct spacing as you do know it and bots not) and the won't import duplicates. (because only looking for ASIN/ISBN)

If you can't be faster (that happens) you can just ask here for moving the book (a link to the book and the "magic word" is appreciated) - that's done quick then.

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6178 comments added the cover for your paperback and the isbn10

message 7: by David (new)

David Hall (quietandstrong) | 4 comments Thank you. A little confused about the spaces thing, but I went in and claimed the book under my profile. I sent in the application form. Will that be sufficient?

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6178 comments yes it will :)

sorry, too lenghty eh?

in short
Because we have more than one author named David Hall, you are David-7space-Hall. The extra spaces between your first and last names only shows up on book edit pages and your profile edit page, but it tells the system which books are yours. When adding a book manually, be sure to include the extra space, and the book will go where it belongs. If you forget (or a book record is imported), post a new thread in this group and any librarian can fix it for you.

(borrowed that explanation by rivka :) )

message 9: by David (new)

David Hall (quietandstrong) | 4 comments Thank you! Spaces or not, looks like it's all sorted out now. Appreciate your help!

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Amazingly I came here to discuss an issue with another author called David Hall and found this thread!

My question is: What is the best way to verify an author's bibliography as I think this Goodreads author entry has combined two different authors both called David Hall who write in very different genres?

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...