Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates
Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Deadhouse Gate [Feb 16, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 324 (324 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7035 comments Mod
This is Buddy Read for Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson starting February 16, 2018.
Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) by Steven Erikson

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments spot!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments This'll be my valentines day read. I hope it's a romantic book :-D

message 4: by Hailee (new) - added it

Hailee | 2427 comments I bought this today along with Gardens of the Moon so I'm as ready for it as I can be.

@Diana I'm sure this book will be the Pride and Prejudice of the fantasy genre lol 😉

Chris  (haughtc) | 1629 comments Sure...lol

message 6: by Hailee (new) - added it

Hailee | 2427 comments Damn now I want to read Pride and Prejudice on Valentine's Day!!

Chris  (haughtc) | 1629 comments ..with or without zombies?

message 8: by Hailee (last edited Dec 28, 2017 11:20AM) (new) - added it

Hailee | 2427 comments Chris wrote: "..with or without zombies?"

Lol, without. Definately without. Never got the whole obsession people have with zombies to be honest.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I've never read the with. It's somewhere on the tbr list. I don't mind zombies, though they are the least attractive of the paranormals.

message 10: by Hailee (new) - added it

Hailee | 2427 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I've never read the with. It's somewhere on the tbr list. I don't mind zombies, though they are the least attractive of the paranormals."

Neither have I but I don't intend to either. To me P&P is perfection (it is my favourite book). Adding zombies can only make it worse. Although if you do ever read the zombie version I'll be curious to know what you think.

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
As good as GotM is this is the one where I knew I was all in.

Hacen | 881 comments I'm in

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Hailee wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I've never read the with. It's somewhere on the tbr list. I don't mind zombies, though they are the least attractive of the paranormals."

Neither have I but I don't inte..."

Challenge excepted. Hopefully I can tackle it in the coming year.

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'd also like to prepare everybody by saying when I got done with this one the first time I couldn't even read anything for 4 or 5 days without it tasting like mud. This book just tears your soul apart. I think many will echo this. Some of the others do the same but where this was the first devastation it's stuck with me.

Miche | 2939 comments I agree with you, Scott.

It is my favorite so far, but it wasn't an easy read. The prologue set the tone.

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
This one is still my favourite book in the series as well. Prepare for a gut wrenching read.

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "This'll be my valentines day read. I hope it's a romantic book :-D"

Surely there's romance aplenty.

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments Just purchased my copy.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Does everybody want/need the chapter notes? Or would you rather I just reply more to the thread as it happens? I don't care either way. This, as I've said, might be my favorite book of all time competing only with a few others in this series so I just want to help with the experience.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Scott I loved your chapter notes but I wouldn't like to burden you with this duty.

Graeme Rodaughan | 2041 comments Hi Scott, "Just do it!"

message 22: by C.P. (new) - added it

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm excited to get to this one.

message 23: by Rob (last edited Jan 23, 2018 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1720 comments For anyone who does not own this book, I have found I have a second paperback copy! (Probably because this is one of my favorites in the Malazan series)

I was roaming in my basement to put this on my literal "to-reread shelf" and found it. Both my copies are used, in good and acceptable condition respectively. I think I picked one up for 0.50 on a whim at a library book fair.

If anyone wants my second copy, I'm happy to mail it out in exchange for shipping costs OR an extra paperback of yours that is on my to-read list. Message me if interested.

message 24: by Veronica (last edited Jan 23, 2018 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I loved your chapter notes too, Scott, but I also don't want you to feel overburdened. It's not like we pay you or anything...except with overflowing adoration and devotion.

Zaara wrote: "How I use your notes is like this. I read a chapter, making my own notes/annotations + thoughts and (when I am done) then I let myself chk yours to see if I missed anything significant."

This is exactly what I did too. :-)

message 25: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4143 comments Heh Lady thanks for the gentle hint, I swear I thought (view spoiler)

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll start early and do a chapter a day which shouldn't be too bad. I glad you all got something out of them. Honestly you can ask Angela and Miche, I just want everybody to love Malazan and particularly this book. I've commented on Malzan threads all over GR hoping people get hooked.

I missed your original post Zaara so no worries. I think you might be related to Kruppe and are toying with us mere mortals. :)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Zaara wrote: "Heh Lady thanks for the gentle hint, I swear I thought I was being as extremely polite as I possibly could (like even borderline creepily Victorian, no?) while making my request bcuz of my Malazan..."

Awww, I wasn't trying to give you any hints. I didn't see anything wrong with what you posted. I was more just echoing Mayim's earlier post about loving the chapter summaries but not wanting Scott to feel obligated if real life doesn't allow him the time to indulge us...even though we love to be indulged. :-)

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jan 27, 2018 06:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Prologue

Before you start these are the three new characters to pay attention to in the prologue.

Felisin, youngest daughter of House Paran
Heboric Light Touch, exiled historian and ex-priest of Fener
Baudin, companion to Felisin and Heboric

(view spoiler)

Chapter 1:

Mappo and Icarium

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jan 30, 2018 01:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 2

I forgot just how long some of these chapters are, this one included.

(view spoiler)

Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jan 30, 2018 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Chapter 5: I hope you all enjoy this one as much as I did the first time. HUGE reveal coming up.

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 05, 2018 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

Chapter 7

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 18, 2018 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 08, 2018 01:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

Chapter 10

(view spoiler)

Chapter 11

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 11, 2018 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 12

(view spoiler)

Chapter 13

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 11, 2018 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 14
(view spoiler)

Chapter 15

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 13, 2018 03:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 16

(view spoiler)

Chapter 17

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 13, 2018 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 18

(view spoiler)

Chapter 19

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 15, 2018 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 20

(view spoiler)

Chapter 21

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 16, 2018 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 22

(view spoiler)

Chapter 23

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Feb 16, 2018 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 24

(view spoiler)

Epilogue

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Feb 03, 2018 07:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "Chapter 4

..."
Agreed Scott, chapter 5 was amazing. So many reveals. Reading your chapter summaries brings back a lot of memories.

Only read if you've read the series. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 134 comments Scott wrote: "I'd also like to prepare everybody by saying when I got done with this one the first time I couldn't even read anything for 4 or 5 days without it tasting like mud. This book just tears your soul a..."

Couldn't agree more Scott. Heartbreaking.

message 43: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ctgt wrote: "Scott wrote: "I'd also like to prepare everybody by saying when I got done with this one the first time I couldn't even read anything for 4 or 5 days without it tasting like mud. This book just tea..."

Agreed Ctgt. This book really tears at your heartstrings. I had a book hangover after reading this one.

message 44: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ctgt wrote: "Heartbreaking."

Angela wrote: "Only read if you've read the series."

There were moments equally as sad as this book in other books but it was the first time SE left us devastated so you're unprepared. MOI for instance is brutal as is RG because of who and how but this book was just a continual barrage.

message 45: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela wrote: "Ctgt wrote: ""

Read the chapter 8 overview. So subtle I cannot believe I didn't see the meaning the first time.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Angela wrote: "Ctgt wrote: ""

Read the chapter 8 overview. So subtle I cannot believe I didn't see the meaning the first time."

There are so many things I can't believe I missed the first time. Erikson is really subtle and I love the way how he puts something really important in what seems a casual conversation. The re-read has been very rewarding do far.

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samir wrote: "There are so many things I can't believe I missed the first time. Erikson is really subtle and I love the way how he puts something really important in what seems a casual conversation. The re-read has been very rewarding do far."

Absolutely but that one in chapter 8 when you know what happens is a WOW.

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Absolutely but that one in chapter 8 when you know what happens is a WOW."

Indeed.

message 49: by Lee (new)

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments I'll be starting this right when I finish Waking Fire, which will hopefully be within the next two week period =]. Might be a tad late. Really looking forward to this one.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Thanks Scott for the cliff notes again. I’ll be joining this BR too. Hopefully I won’t be as clueless as in the 1st book lol.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7