Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > What are the best Y.A. Spy, Mystery, Espionage books?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louie (new)

Louie Book by Ally Carter are good.

message 2: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 24 comments so are books by agatha christie and, i've heard, sidney sheldon

message 3: by Eman (new)

Eman Ahmed | 13 comments necromancer wrote: "so are books by agatha christie and, i've heard, sidney sheldon"

agatha christie writes really nice books! i hav eread only one and i m in love with it.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice | 9 comments Gallagher girls series by Ally Carter
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

Alex rider series
Stormbreaker

message 5: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 24 comments Tazanna wrote: "necromancer wrote: "so are books by agatha christie and, i've heard, sidney sheldon"

agatha christie writes really nice books! i hav eread only one and i m in love with it."

well you should really try reading more (especially the hercule poirot series: that one's one of my faves)!

message 6: by Melliott (last edited Dec 29, 2017 02:38PM) (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 419 comments Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein, is amazing. It's listed more under historical fiction (because it takes place in a particular time and setting--World War II), but the mystery and espionage elements are so, SO good.

The Shades of London series, by Maureen Johnson
The Jackaby series, by William Ritter
Bellweather Rhapsody, by Kate Racculia
The Lock Artist, by Scott Hamilton
Dead to Me, by Mary McCoy
The Molly Murphy mysteries by Rhys Bowen
The Kiki Strike books, by Kirsten Miller
The Naturals series, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (best loved series of all my book club teens)
I Am the Weapon and two sequels by Allen Zadoff
The Killer's Cousin, by Nancy Werlin (old but good!)
The Heist Society series by Ally Carter
The Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer (for younger readers)

message 7: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 24 comments Melliott wrote: "Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein, is amazing. It's listed more under historical fiction (because it takes place in a particular time and setting--World War II), but the mystery and espionage ele..."

the only three books/ series i've read from your list are code name verity, the shades of london series and the naturals, and i must agree they're all amazing :)

message 8: by Melliott (last edited Dec 30, 2017 08:49AM) (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 419 comments Well, despite the request for YA mysteries, nobody else was offering anything specifically YA, so I thought I'd better step up! I read a lot of mystery, mostly adult, and could recommend some of those too, but these are some good YA titles or series.

message 9: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 19 comments The Friday Society was a good Standalone.

message 10: by Caitlin (last edited Jan 02, 2018 11:29AM) (new)

Caitlin (0utnumbered321) The Fixer (The Fixer, #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes The Long Game (The Fixer, #2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
This series was billed as Veronica Mars meets Scandal and that is a very, very good comparison. Absolutely incredible books!

message 11: by Ivan (new)

Ivan (chillinvillin) | 11 comments I haven’t read this book yet, but i’ve heard so many good things about it. It’s a mystery thriller book called, One Of Us Is Lying

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 02, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Melliott wrote: "Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein, is amazing. It's listed more under historical fiction (because it takes place in a particular time and setting--World War II), but the mystery and espionage ele..."

Stormbreaker is a YA series so it was suggested. But you had some good ones as well:
Death by Bikini (Death By Mysteries, #1) by Linda Gerber
The Girl is Murder (The Girl is Murder, #1) by Kathryn Miller Haines is also a good one.
The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart, #1) by Philip Pullman
Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger

message 14: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 419 comments Oda Renate wrote: "Melliott wrote: "Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein, is amazing. It's listed more under historical fiction (because it takes place in a particular time and setting--World War II), but the mystery ..."

I really liked the "Death by" books. I haven't read the Pullman. I didn't care much for the Etiquette and Espionage series—I'm not much of a fan of steampunk, and it was kind of silly—but a lot of my book club teens liked it a lot.

Here are more I thought of from YA:
The Jackaby books by William Ritter (a slight paranormal element)
High and Dry, by Sarah Skilton (I really liked this one)
Cryer's Cross, by Lisa McMann (mystery/horror)
The Mystery of the Third Lucretia, by Susan Runholt (for younger readers)
Acceleration, by Graham McNamee (old, but good!)

message 15: by Louie (new)

Louie A Spy In The House by Y.S. Lee

message 16: by natalia (new)

natalia | 88 comments When by Victoria Laurie is really good but it's more of a crime book.

message 17: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 20 comments Heist Society is really good!