Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Memoirs of a Geisha
This topic is about Memoirs of a Geisha
Monthly Group Reads > Memoirs of a Geisha (February 2018)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1393 comments Mod
February's voted on Group Read topic is Classism

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Maya B | 42 comments Awesome read. I think I will dust my old copy off and join in for this one

Maya wrote: "Awesome read. I think I will dust my old copy off and join in for this one"

Yay! I am so excited for this book! It has been on my To-Read forever!

Terri | 1 comments I read this a long time ago, but I still have my copy and would be happy to read it again! Does anyone know if goodreads has a feature to track or log the BOTM groups reads I am participating in? Or do you just track it yourself somehow?

I started this book today :)

message 6: by Delores (new)

Delores Friedman | 9 comments I loved that book. The description is wonderful and given this time and the issues around gender politics the lives of geisha girls is instructive. Enjoy enjoy!

Delores wrote: "I loved that book. The description is wonderful and given this time and the issues around gender politics the lives of geisha girls is instructive. Enjoy enjoy!"

Yeah! I completely agree! Does anyone know what geishas are like now? Does the community and culture still exist?

message 8: by Delores (new)

Delores Friedman | 9 comments I just Googled Do Geisha exist today, and they said yes and can be found in Kyoto. The women spend most of their day taking classes in the ancient arts.

Interesting! Are they still expected to be sexually active?

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 436 comments Such lyricism! And it is an awesome story.

message 11: by isi (new) - rated it 2 stars

isi o (isiyoutuber) | 3 comments got this from the library today!

isi wrote: "got this from the library today!"

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Candace | 41 comments I finished this book. The difference between class is notable. Here the difference between geisha and the poor people, between the geisha and servant class, and between the geisha and the men. Here's my review, Candace's Review: Memoirs of a Geisha

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 436 comments Chiyo was so conflicted about becoming a geisha which was not surprising. Talk about a complicated way to find a successful place in society, a role which was both disrespected and respected, and also very lucrative - until it wasn't.

Candace | 41 comments I agree. She keeps the fantasy of her family alive in her mind. The thought that her sister would come back and save her keeps Chiyo going for a while.

I finished this yesterday! Here is the link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by isi (new) - rated it 2 stars

isi o (isiyoutuber) | 3 comments literally still reading this book (whoops) but i actually like it so far. it’s pretty interesting reading about another culture.

isi wrote: "literally still reading this book (whoops) but i actually like it so far. it’s pretty interesting reading about another culture."

No worries! There is no end date to our books :)

La Tonya wrote: "Here is my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Great review :)