On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Elkhorn Tavern
This topic is about Elkhorn Tavern
Group Reads: Post-1980 > Initial Impressions: Elkhorn Tavern: January 2018

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - added it

Tom Mathews | 2502 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

message 2: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 3864 comments Mod
I an happy that this book was chosen for one of our January reads. It is an excellent Civil War book about one battles effect on a farm family thrown into the middle of the action. If you're like me, you'll be surprised that it takes place in Missouri, not a state most of us identify with fighting in that war. It was a real battle, even though this book is fiction.
Since I read this book just a couple of months ago, I am going to read The Barefoot Brigade, a companion book that tells the story of the father's experiences as a Confederate soldier during the same time his family was trying to survive and keep the farm going. Douglas C. Jones was an incredible author who deserves a wider readership. Thanks to Howard for introducing me to him.

message 3: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Douglas C. Jones was one of my Grandfather's favorite authors. I introduced him to Jones with The Courtmartial of George Armstrong Custer. I gave him this novel for his birthday in October, 1980. It's especially nice to be reading his copy. We often read and exchanged books. This was a particular favorite of his. So was The Barefoot Brigade.

message 4: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - added it

Tom Mathews | 2502 comments Mod
If you're like me, you'll be surprised that it takes place in Missouri, not a state most of us identify with fighting in that war. It was a real battle, even though this book is fiction.."

I'll disagree with you there. My wife's ancestors hail from southern Missouri (Ozark County) and they had a particularly rough time during the war. The guerrilla fighting in Missouri gave a great deal of truth to the stories of pitting neighbor against neighbor and brother against brother. Anybody interested in learning more about it should read Enemy Women.

message 5: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Enemy Women is on my list. Us Southerners tend to think it all happened in our neck of the woods, hence my ignorance.

message 6: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "I an happy that this book was chosen for one of our January reads. It is an excellent Civil War book about one battles effect on a farm family thrown into the middle of the action. If you're like m..."

Actually, the battle of Pea Ridge was in extreme northwest Arkansas. Though the Confederate objective was to open the way to taking Missouri. One of the Confederate Officers was General Sterling Price, commander of the Missouri State Militia. Fun Fact: True Grit's Rooster Cogburn named his cat "General Sterling Price." GRIN

Candi (candih) | 207 comments I just started this book today and am finding it to be an exceptional read so far. This is a little piece of history and U.S. geography I know little about. I am very happy that I set down The Ministry of Utmost Happiness last night and ran to the library for this one instead :)

message 8: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

As I mentioned, I read "The Barefoot Brigade" this month, since I read this book so recently. Barefoot Brigade is the story of the father's experiences after he journeys to join the army to fight for the Confederacy. He is in Virginia and receives news of the battle in his own backyard many months after it occurred, and sees the irony of traveling far to fight when he could have just stayed at home and protected his family. I wanted to share a quote from another character who left home to fight. It explains so much about the common soldier.
"Who are them Yankees, anyway? Cadmus asked.
"Outlanders and city scum," his father said. "They're a-comin'. They mean us harm. The preacher tole me so."
"It ain't the Yankees I'm a feared of," the mother said. "It's all them no - accounts in the armies that carry bad habits. God keep my boys."

John | 533 comments I take it to be a quiet tribute to William Faulkner that we find verbena being used in the story.

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 654 comments I'm hoping to begin tomorrow before the football game. I've been catching up on so much reading lately that I always seem behind. But almost everything is so good.

Beverly | 190 comments I am so far behind on my reading. I am in that group of people that got the "flu shot" and still caught the flu ! I am getting better and hope to get back to my reading soon. I started reading this on Jan. 9 and plan to finish it.

message 12: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 654 comments Good luck with your reading, Beverly. This is a good one. Hope you are feeling much better now.

Beverly | 190 comments Sue wrote: "Good luck with your reading, Beverly. This is a good one. Hope you are feeling much better now."

Thank you. I think I am on the road to recovery.

message 14: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh no, Beverly, glad you are recovering. I have been hibernating and avoiding crowds hoping to be spared, but the season is still going strong. At least you have a good book waiting.

Beverly | 190 comments Diane wrote: "Oh no, Beverly, glad you are recovering. I have been hibernating and avoiding crowds hoping to be spared, but the season is still going strong. At least you have a good book waiting."

Thanks Diane,
Looking forward to returning to this one.

Beverly | 190 comments When I was sick in January, I could not make myself finish this book. But I am finally back to reading it and enjoying it. Hope to finish it by tomorrow.

message 17: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 654 comments Glad you're back to it Beverly.

message 18: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm sure it's great to be feeling well again. But at least you had a great book waiting for you. Winter and the flu season still have things in store for us, but hopefully they're on the downswing.