Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Q and A > What Book Did You Just Finish?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 3,250 (3250 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 64 65

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Here's a place to share the books you've just finished that were not found in Bookmarks magazine.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

I finished reading this yesterday. It was a dark tale, alternating between the past and present. Grad student, Connie Goodwin, stumbles upon a mystery surrounding Deliverance Dane, while cleaning her grandmother's long abandoned New England house. The mystery leads her on a search for Dane's physick book and plunges her into the history of the Salem witch trials. This story was magical and an absolute page turner.

I'm glad I reread The Crucible this year and also read Cotton Mathers account of the Salem Witch Trials. It helped bring the historical aspect of this book to life for me. I loved the dark overtones to the book, the sense of isolation in Connie's grandmother's 17th century home, and the blending of history and mystery. A definite 4 stars.

message 3: by Simone (new)

Simone St. James (simonestjames) Hi Lisa, I read the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane but I didn't like it quite as much as you did. I thought the setup and plot were interesting, but I found the characters a bit flat and I found the big climax ending to be almost a little silly. The villain wasn't much of a mystery. To each her own!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Simone, I agree the villain wasn't much of a mystery. In fact, I thought most of the modern part of the book was predictable. What I enjoyed most was the historical aspect and the foreshadowing of mystical events.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 137 comments So B. It by Sarah Weeks

YA fiction. Cute, touching -- some great passages from a child speaking in first person. Not a complicated read.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Kate, I read this a couple of years ago and liked it.

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments Just finished Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan - see separate thread, and Little Bee on audio, which I really liked. Now I have to reread Great Expectations in a week for my f2f book group next week! Hope I make it.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments You must have great expectations if you think you can complete this for next week! I have faith in you. Go for it!

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1250 comments Lisa wrote: "You must have great expectations if you think you can complete this for next week! I have faith in you. Go for it!"

Well, I'm not working right now, so should be able to do it if I non-stop read, but since I'm catching up on email and paperwork right not, obviously that's not happening!

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I just finished A Fraction of the Whole. Sections of it made me laugh out loud, but other parts I just skimmed. This could have been a much better, tighter book with some proper editing. I think I need a good classic right now.

message 11: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I just finished The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll The Search for Dare Wright about the childrens author Dare Wright. Awesome. You can read my review if you'd like more info. I recommend it to anyone who likes literary bios with unusual and disturbing family situations.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I just finished Dune for The Modern Library Best 100 Challenge group. I've never particularly liked sci-fi, but I was surprised enjoyed this story once I got past all the techno-babble and strange names.

message 13: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished March by Geraldine Brooks. I've now read 4 of her books and find that every one is very different from the other, and every one is very good. I'll be reading more of her books!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lynn, that's another book I have on my TBR along with Year of Wonders and People of the Book.

message 15: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Loved both Year of Wonders and People of the Book. I'd also recommend her non-fiction Nine Parts of Desire which is about women in the Middle East.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I haven't heard of that one. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 137 comments Jenn wrote: "I just finished The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll The Search for Dare Wright about the childrens author Dare Wright. Awesome.

I just put THAT on my TBR list . . . THANKS!

message 18: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (jaimechm) I just finished The Time Traveller's Wife for the 2nd time for a book club. We're going to see the movie this afternoon.

It's such a great love story, full of romance and tragedy and perseverance...

message 19: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 55 comments I finished A Mercy by Toni Morrison for a book club. While the book is "small", Morrison has it so layered that it's much more book than it looks. My book club leader began the session by asking for a plot summary of the book - very clever, Barbara. We skirted the issue by trying to talk about themes or characters. Nope, Barbara kept us on the plot question, digging through the layers and stories Morrison weaves together in the novel.

A Mercy is a beautiful and heartbreaking story.

message 20: by NancyL (new)

NancyL Luckey I just finished "Something to Sing About" - a young adults book by C. C. Payne. The premise of the book is that there is a purpose in most happenings. It's based on a true story of a church exploding in 1950, but those who were usually there were running late for various reasons. Jamie Jo is 10 years old and will not go outside without her mother and a flyswatter because she's deathly afraid of bees (and life). Easy read and very well written.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I finished Empire Falls by Richard Russo Empire Falls by Richard Russo last night. Plus, I watched the mini-series a couple of nights ago. I didn't want to watch it before I finished the book, but I had to get it back to the library. I enjoyed both, but thought the characters were better developed in the book. Russo's writing was rich and this small town saga was wonderfully done. I'm looking forward to reading Bridge of Sighs soon.

message 22: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert)
Hello!

Last night I read Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Patillo ~ a quick, enjoyable read. Today I am starting The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai.

message 23: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson for a different group. It's a 1959 classic suspense book. I enjoyed it very much - a great October read!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Jennifer, let us know what you think of The Inheritance of Loss. You can start a thread for the book in the "Any Issue 2006" folder, since Bookmarks gave it a 4 star rating in the March/April 2006 issue. It's another book I'd like to read if only I could find the time.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lynn, I'm still trying to listen to The Haunting of Hill House on my iPod. I guess I'm not cut out for audiobooks; I prefer to sit down with a book and read. I read this many years ago, probably 35+, so I thought it would be nice to attempt audio with it. Hopefully, I'll finish listening soon.

message 26: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Lisa wrote: "Lynn, I'm still trying to listen to The Haunting of Hill House on my iPod. I guess I'm not cut out for audiobooks; I prefer to sit down with a book and read. I read this many years ago, probably ..."

I sure understand that! I can't do audio books, I block them out in about the first three minutes. I do that with music, talk radio, sports, you name it. Back when walkmans came out, mine was only used a few times...I just couldn't pay attention. It's sort of weird because I can watch a TV show and read at the same time, and follow both. I guess I need a visual of the TV and/or book to keep me attending!

message 27: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 55 comments I just finished Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell . This is a great read! It makes me thankful that times have changed, or my family may very well have locked me in an institution. I like that Esme is a strong female - unfortunately she pays the price.

message 28: by LynnB (last edited Oct 25, 2009 09:11AM) (new)

LynnB I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Very, very good (I gave it 5 stars, and so have many others -- it's holding a 4.5 rating with over 3,000 reviews). It's set in Mississippi in the early 1960's and is about a young white woman and several black maids in her town.

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Oct 25, 2009 09:20AM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lynn, I keep recommending The Help to all my friends. What a great book and a first novel at that. I rank it in my top five best books I've read this year.

Cherylann, I really need to read Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. A friend passed it on to me and I've yet to get to it.

I just finished Song Yet Sung by James McBride . Another excellent read. I'll be posting a review in another thread.

message 30: by Cherylann (new)

Cherylann | 55 comments The Help is on top of my TBR list. I need time to read! Can we lengthen the day?

message 31: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (chkntza) I just finished reading The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. I enjoyed the writing and the characters.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I just finished Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It was an enchanting story and a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

message 33: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Lisa wrote: "I just finished Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It was an enchanting story and a wonderful way to spend an afternoon."

I haven't heard of that one before, but it sounds interesting. I'm putting it on my TBR.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I've had a lot of friends give it high praise in some of my other GR groups. Plus, I loved the cover art. I plan to read another Allen book for part of a group read in the Busy as a Bee Books group. It's called The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen The Sugar Queen

message 35: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Lisa wrote: "I've had a lot of friends give it high praise in some of my other GR groups. Plus, I loved the cover art. I plan to read another Allen book for part of a group read in the Busy as a Bee Books gro..."

I just read the description of that book. It looks good too!

message 36: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) [image error] is the novel I completed yesterday; finally, after hearing about it for so long. :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Cherylann wrote: "I just finished Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. This is a great read! It makes me thankful that times have changed, or my family may very well have locked me in an institution. ..."

I loved this book! A few of my friends could not understand my fascination with it, but it was one of my favorites last year.

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 17, 2009 05:34AM) (new)

Finished [image error] and I thought it was great. I love him

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Christine wrote: "Cherylann wrote: "I just finished Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. This is a great read! It makes me thankful that times have changed, or my family may very well have locked me i..."

A friend passed this on to me and I need to read it. Thanks for the push in that direction.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa,
The Esme Lennox book is really unique. It's a real treat.

message 41: by Mary (new)

Mary | 3 comments I loved Esme Lennox. One of my all time faves.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Thanks for another push in the Esme Lennox direction Mary!

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto | 450 comments I finally finished The Calligrapher's Daughter. I say finally because it was a slow read but ultimately worth reading. The heroine, Najin,is so spirited and resilient and has to endure so much suffering, often blaming herself. Eventhough I understand how she might do that in the context of the culture and history of the times, but I still found it sad.

One of the precepts throughout the bookthat really stuck in my mind also was that women were expected to put others first. In our culture, women often put others first (especially mothers)but we also are able to to reach for what satisfies us and makes us happy.
I also found the history of Korea and the rest of the far east to be enlightening. I also realized that there were only a few short years between the end of the Japanese occupation and the Korean conflict. What a lot of turmoil for one people.

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I just finished Ford County
Ford County by John Grisham , I have not read a John Grisham book in years, this was a series of short stories which all took place in the same county...very good book.....

message 45: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Christine wrote: "Cherylann wrote: "I just finished Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell. This is a great read! It makes me thankful that times have changed, or my family may very well have locked me i..."

our book group read it last year, most of us loved it & we had some very good discussions....

message 46: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just finished The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister. Luscious writing. I enjoyed the book very much.

message 47: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments I started reading The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell at Barnes and Noble the other day due to the conversation on this board. I liked it so much that I ordered a copy from the swap site I'm a part of and am really into it now. I love it so far, it's a real page-turner. Thanks everybody for mentioning it!

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lynn, I also enjoyed The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister , where food ingredients take on an almost magical quality, and Lillian makes the taste, texture and aroma of her meals a sensory experience. This was such a pleasant book to read.

message 49: by Erin (new)

Erin | 2 comments Unwind by Neal Shusterman! Great book with a very interesting spin on society.

message 50: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 17 comments Finishing "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill this evening & then starting "The Help"...Can't wait.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 64 65