Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Old & New Classic Challenge > Malavika's Old and New challenge 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malavika (last edited Apr 21, 2018 06:56PM) (new)

Malavika Muraleedharan (themessyreader) | 13 comments Here's my Old and New Challenge for 2018 -

Old School -
The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
Middlemarch by George Eliiot

New School -
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Wild Cards -
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
The English Teacher by R K Narayan
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Alternatives -
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Lots of great choices!

I'm actually curious about the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies one.. That's either got to be really fun or really awful.

Good luck with your challenge!

message 3: by Malavika (new)

Malavika Muraleedharan (themessyreader) | 13 comments Melanti wrote: "Lots of great choices!

I'm actually curious about the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies one.. That's either got to be really fun or really awful.

Good luck with your challenge!"

Thank you!!

message 4: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 908 comments Another great list! Enjoy!

message 5: by Malavika (new)

Malavika Muraleedharan (themessyreader) | 13 comments Veronique wrote: "Another great list! Enjoy!"

Thank you :)

message 6: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1219 comments Nice list! I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies last year, and reread Pride and Prejudice alongside it. What can I say, the original is of course better, and there's a lot of unnecessary fat-shaming of Mr. Collins in the Zombie version, but I did get a kick out of Elizabeth simply stabbing people whenever they got annoying, and Darcy actually speaking his mind. :D The movie was fun too, in a campy, spoofy B-movie kind of way. (Darcy is super sinister in the movie!)

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 740 comments I listened to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on a road trip. It's still the same great story and the zombies stuff made me laugh.

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3795 comments Leni, you made me want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I love the idea of Elizabeth stabbing everyone! I'm adding it.

Love your list, Malavika. A few of my favorites, and you'll read A Wrinkle in Time in time to see the movie!