Oakville Reads discussion

Christmas at the Vinyl Cafe
This topic is about Christmas at the Vinyl Cafe
Christmas at the Vinyl Cafe > A great article by Meg Masters

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Meg Masters, Stuart McLean's "long-suffering story editor," published a lovely article about Stuart in The Globe and Mail on December 22, 2017. Read it here.

"He was a mesmerizing storyteller, weaving his tales out of the common threads of people's lives, and managing to both find and celebrate the extraordinary in the ordinary. In doing so, the Vinyl Cafe fiction became one of those rare literary efforts where people of all ages found common ground – teens listened to the stories on radio along with their parents; children and octogenarians alike crowded his concert shows. What's more, people right across the country saw themselves in these stories – the show was as popular in Newfoundland as it was in British Columbia."

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen B. | 212 comments Thanks for sharing this article. I'm saddened we won't be seeing or hearing any new stories from Stuart but thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful Christmas collection. His book is currently making the rounds in our extended household so the discussion continues. :-)

Best wishes for 2018!

message 3: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (susanopl) | 472 comments Mod
Maureen wrote: "Thanks for sharing this article. I'm saddened we won't be seeing or hearing any new stories from Stuart but thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful Christmas collection. His book is currently making the ..."

Happy new year, Maureen, and thanks for joining our discussion. I also feel sad that there won't be new Dave and Morley stories, but this collection is a real treasure.