Romance Audiobooks discussion

Recommendation Give & Take > Romantic science fiction

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan (voxvolat) | 66 comments Hi, I really enjoy romantic science fiction but there seems to be a limited number in audio format. Would love your suggestions so I can start a list of audio romantic science fiction for my future reads. Thanks!!

message 2: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 28, 2017 09:56AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4229 comments Mod
The only one that comes to mind is the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. It’s dystopian, sci-fi with romantic elements.
Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown

message 3: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 98 comments Illona Andrews Hidden Legacy and Innkeeper series are a mix of fantasy/sci fi and both have a central romance. I’m in love with them.

message 4: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Try Michelle Diener, start with Dark Horse (Class 5, #1) by Michelle Diener Dark Horse, the first in the series.

And Linnea Sinclair. I like her stand alone An Accidental Goddess by Megan Sybil Baker An Accidental Goddess. She also has a series called Dock Five.

Both these authors are awesome.

message 5: by Karin (last edited Dec 29, 2017 08:27AM) (new)

Karin (aquariandancer) | 479 comments Eve Langlais's Space Gypsy Chronicles:
Book 1: Pirate (Space Gypsy Chronicles, #1) by Eve Langlais

Evangeline Anderson's Alien Mate Index:
Book 1: Abducted (Alien Mate Index, #1) by Evangeline Anderson (This is definitely high on the heat meter, so if you're not looking for erotic sci-fi, this is not for you).

Mychal Daniels's Olodian Alien Warriors:
Book 1: Rescued by Tordin (Olodian Alien Warrior, #1) by Mychal Daniels (the narrator on book 2 is better, though)

Tasha Black's Building a Hero:
Book 1: Reconstructed (Building a Hero, #1) by Tasha Black

That's a start. I can probably find more if you need them.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (voxvolat) | 66 comments Y’all are so great! Keep those recommendations coming. I dug into some of these y’all posted and am already happily listening to some new authors. Can’t wait to see what suggestions others have!

message 7: by D.G. (last edited Dec 29, 2017 03:57PM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Linnea Sinclair writes sci-fi romance and some are available in audio.

I see that An Accidental Goddess is included in Audible's Romance Package!

Oh and there's an author called S.E. Smith that writes sci-fi romance and it seems a lot of her books are available in audio.

message 8: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 89 comments Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga contains a multitude of genres, romance included. For romance, listen to the Shards of Honor and Barrayar duology, the standalone Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, or the romantic arc consisting of Komarr (meeting), A Civil Campaign (courtship), and Winterfair Gifts (wedding viewed by outside observers). And if you don't mind reading the very last book in the series first, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen is totally a romance.

message 9: by ms bookjunkie (new)

ms bookjunkie (msbookjunkie) | 89 comments Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe contains many delightful romances. Agent of Change begins an adventure romance arc that spans several books. More standalone (though part of the series) are Local Custom or Conflict of Honors.

(Just be warned that the series has four different narrators. I delight in the ladies' narrations…and listen to the gents at triple speed for the story. But that's just me. :/)

message 10: by L J (new)

L J | 358 comments I call these paranormal science fiction: Nalini Singh, narrator Angela Dawe, Psy-Changeling series has science fiction feel. Some scenes read like space opera type science fiction I enjoy. Jayne Castle/Jayne Ann Krentz Ghost Hunters series, narrator Joyce Bean, Harmony is lost colony developing Psy talents. Robin D. Owens Celta series lost colony humans who left earth due to prejudice against their psy talents. Space opera science fiction: League series by Kenyon narrated by Fred Berman is violent, has humor and is very romantic.

message 11: by alicat ♡➹♡ (new)

alicat ♡➹♡ | 21 comments Good recommendations so far - to add to them

Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre was good and did have romance, but I'm not sure if I would call it a romance novel. I haven't read past this first in the series, but definitely a fun read with a quirky heroine.

Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter is on my to-read list. It is supposed to be good - especially after the first couple books in the series.

I also just picked up Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1) by Rachel Bach which has good reviews!

Evangeline Anderson is also going to be releasing her whole Kindred series in audio eventually - I think they are up to #5 or #6.

message 12: by alicat ♡➹♡ (new)

alicat ♡➹♡ | 21 comments I've been poking around Audible and a few of the Sci-Fi Romance Kindle Unlimited authors I read are on there - but the books are pretty short so honestly I'd have a hard time spending money on the audio versions - for example Anna Hackett, Ruby Lionsdrake, Anna Carven, Ruby Dixon. I did check and some are available from my public library Overdrive so I'll probably just listen to the ones available and cross my fingers that more get added to the Audible Romance Package or allowed to be purchased by libraries.

message 13: by Sela (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 11 comments A lot of current SFR is on the short side, I agree. I've been considering finding a narrator for my own SFR series, but wondered if it would find an audience. Sounds like it would, but more for the ARP readers because of the short form.

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara | 81 comments I agree with those already mentioned, but here are a few more options:

Veronica Scott has some SFR books on audio from her Sectors SF Romance series. It's more a bunch of connected stories, some of which are full length novels. It starts with Wreck of the Nebula Dream.

I recently really enjoyed listening to The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord, which is not really SFR, but does have a romantic element.

If you like Jayne Ann Krentz, her books written as Jayne Castle take place on other planets and are almost all on audio. They have much the same feel of her contemporary books and some are connected to her Arcane Society series.

And I recently listened to Ice Red by Jael Wye, which is the start of an SFR series based on fairy tales. It focuses more on lust than love if you're in the mood and is included in Audible's Romance Package.

message 15: by L J (new)

L J | 358 comments Have you looked at this Listopia Best Science Fiction Romance Audiobooks? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan (voxvolat) | 66 comments L J wrote: "Have you looked at this Listopia Best Science Fiction Romance Audiobooks? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9..."

Thanks for this suggestion. Not all are on audio but it is giving me leads on some authors!

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (voxvolat) | 66 comments All the suggestions and comments you have offered are so greatly appreciated! I keep finding new books thanks to your sharing and I’m just loving it!

message 18: by Jan (last edited Feb 04, 2018 09:36PM) (new)

Jan (voxvolat) | 66 comments Jan wrote: "Y’all are so great! Keep those recommendations coming. I dug into some of these y’all posted and am already happily listening to some new authors. Can’t wait to see what suggestions others have!"

I’ve enjoyed getting to listen to SE Smith’s books and a number of others. Thanks for the suggestions. I am having a great time discovering all these new authors.

message 19: by Globaltowngal (new)

Globaltowngal | 37 comments Here are few more on Audible. I agree with many of the above. - Recommendations depend on your individual taste.

M.K. Eidem - Tornians - Grim (Tornians, #1) by M.K. Eidem Book 1 is a classic for the "Mars needs women trope"

Eve Langlais - Alien Abduction - Accidental Abduction (Alien Abduction, #1) by Eve Langlais - these are in the Romance package. Not as funny as her "Hell" series, but not bad.

Laurann Dohner - Cyborg Seduction - Burning Up Flint (Cyborg Seduction, #1) by Laurann Dohner - quite a few in the series. For me, some hits, some misses.

Renee Rose - Zandian Masters - His Human Slave (Zandian Masters, #1) by Renee Rose - aliens who like spanking. Who knew?

Ruby Dixon - Ice Planet Barbarians - Ice Planet Barbarians (Ice Planet Barbarians, #1) by Ruby Dixon - relatively new release. Only one book from the series on audio so far. One of the best dual narrations I have ever heard.

message 20: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 01, 2018 01:24AM) (new)

Loriidae I am new to sci-fi romance but really enjoyed the first two in Alien Huntress - Gena Showalter the first is Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter The narrator is Justine Eyre. I have heard that the series takes a different direction from here on so it will be interesting to see.

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (voxvolat) | 66 comments Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you all in this thread know how much I appreciated all your suggestions. As a result of your help I found plenty of SciFi books to help keep me satisfied this year. Looking forward to more wonderful listening in the new year!