Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2017 Weekly checkins > Week 52: 12/22 - 12/28

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Welcome to the last full-week check-in of 2017! I can't believe how fast this year has gone by!

I have not had anywhere near as much reading time over my Christmas break as I wanted, but break isn't over yet! I also did not receive any books for Christmas (I think my family is intimidated at the thought of picking out books for me). I did receive a lovely mug with quotes from Jane Austen all over it.

Books finished:

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop by Jenny Colgan - second book in a series. It's not my favorite of her series, but it was a nice book for Christmas week.

A Holiday of Love - a compilation of Christmas romances that I read for the first time many years ago.

Currently reading:

Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I - reading for the 2018 challenge - book with two authors

The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan - third book in the Rosie Hopkins series. Still not loving it, but it's not bad.

Question of the week:

I couldn't choose just one so take your pick of the questions below (or answer them all):

1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017?
2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017?
3. And which one did you love the least?
4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)?

1. I accomplished some of my reading goals for this year. I read well over my original goal of 60 books (currently at 87). The reason I had set my goal at 60 was because I planned to read several very large tomes this year, none of which I finished.
2. I simply hated the career book prompt. I had absolutely zero interest in it.
3. I was excited about the two mythology prompts though I didn't love the books I ended up reading for them.
4. I was not a big fan of American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History. Just not the kind of book I want to read.

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) I did get a book from my Amazon wishlist for Christmas: Hoover: An Extraordinary Life in Extraordinary Times, so I've been reading that since the 25th. This could work for travel, wilderness, interesting woman (Lou Henry), or character's name in the title. (But I doubt I'll finish it in 2017.)

Also nearly done with Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes.

Nothing finished except The Far Side Gallery 2. I thought I had read all our Far Side books, but when I was inventorying my main book shelf, I realized I'd never looked at this one. Could use it for a book with pictures.

QOTW:

1. No. I wanted to get my TBR down to 12 books, and it is still in the high 20s.

4. The Collected Works Of Billy The Kid: Left Handed Poems. I was aghast at how much I hated this book, when I had loved The Cinnamon Peeler: Selected Poems so much. Billy the Kid was disjointed, and just plain stupid. Example: "Pull down your pants. William Bonney is going to dance."

message 3: by Nichelle (last edited Dec 28, 2017 06:25AM) (new)

Nichelle | 57 comments Hello, I usually don't answer the QOTW but I figured. It's the last one, so I might as well.

1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? Yes, I accomplished two of the three reading challenges I joined. ..There's always next year.

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? The Dinner. I definitely struggled through it.

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 764 comments Hi everyone!

Can't believe it's the last check in for this year!

Weather in Michigan is pretty bitterly cold. Went out to see the winter lights at the zoo anyway last night, they were beautiful!

This week I finished Destiny: Child of the Sky which wraps up the first arc of the Symphony of Ages. I still have another 3 books to re-read before I get to the new books which inspired the re-reading in the first place, but I think I'm going to hold off starting the next arc until I need a break from structured challenge reading. I already have some library holds for next challenge that i've been sitting on waiting for the new year.

So to round out the year out I've been reading some of the physical trades I picked up and didn't get around to reading yet. So I read How to Talk to Girls at Parties , Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Batgirl of Burnside and am currently reading Fables Deluxe Edition Book 2

QOTW:

1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? Yes, I finished both Popsugar and Read Harder, and read over my goal of 150 books, currently at 164. (a lot of these are comic trades, 4-6 issue compilations)

2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? I really liked the nonhuman prompt. It sounds tricky, but there's a lot more out there than you might think! I ended up reading more than one that could apply.

3. And which one did you love the least? Career advice. I don't tend to like self-help type books anyhow, and careers are nebulous, not all of them really have advice type books that are helpful.

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? The one I read for career advice, You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life I liked the title so I thought that maybe it'd be funny, or entertaining to read even if not helpful. It ended up being really condescending and seriously said at one point people could just vibrate their way to happiness if they just tried. Apparently mental illness and poverty are just things you didn't tune your vibes enough to improve. If it wasn't for the fact it was only 200 pages I probably would have rage quit. And if it wasn't on my kindle, I'd have thrown it at the wall. Luckily it was a library book so I didn't pay anything.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I finished two books and started another. I'm this close to finishing and I'm glad I have the weekend to wrap up this last prompt. Talk about a photo finish!

Finished Labor Day for set around a holiday. I enjoyed it. If it wasn't for the challenge I would not have read this and I enjoyed it so I'm glad I picked it up.

Finished The Future of Us. I picked this up from The Strand from NYC last December and I finally got around to picking it up. It was a quick read about two teens finding facebook in the year 1996 - way before its time. Checks off my book from a trip.

Started Spare and Found Parts for my last prompt which is Steampunk.

-Goodreads goal was at 60 books - Passed this - I'm at 92

-Finish challenge (all 52 prompts) - Just have one prompt left and I'm determined to finish it

-Finish 5 series that I had started - I finished 6! The Luxe Box Set, Trust Me, I'm Lying, The Unwind Collection, Unspoken, The Marked Men Collection, The Raven Cycle Series Maggie Stiefvater Collection 4 Books Set With Gift Journal

-Clean up my virtual to-be-read shelf - I started at 476 and I'm down to 441. I try to go through and take out things I know I've lost interest in to keep it relevant.

-A-Z Challenge - All but the pesky letter X! Maybe I'll see if I can find something suupper quick for it.

-Re-Read of Harry Potter - I didn't get to book 6 or 7 but I'll get to them in early 2018.

- Tough question. Its hard to separate the prompt from the book I read for it. I'll go with book that has been on my TBR list for way too long

- Career Advice, or steampunk

Yes. Carry On, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, The Night Circus

message 6: by Heather (last edited Dec 29, 2017 06:16AM) (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments I can't believe we made it through 2017. Anyone else absurdly trying to make sure they have no books in progress so you start fresh on 1/1/18? Just me? Nevermind.

I also didn't get the reading time I wanted since I was spending so much time with family.... but now I'm home with the house to myself and taking advantage of it. Also, it's freezing (for Maryland) this week so Friday night will heavily feature a fire in the wood stove and a blanket nest.

Finished: Blame It on the Duke

Currently reading: Rules of Civility (MY LAST PROMPT ITEM!)

QOTW:

1. Assuming I finish my current read this week, I will have finished the reading challenge (only got about 75% done last year) and crushed my 100 book goal (on target for 127)!
2. I enjoyed the used bookstore/got on a trip prompts because it both gave me an excuse to hunt down bookstores in other towns AND made me then read the books I got there relatively soon.
3. Book involving a mythical creature and book based on mythology weren't necessarily hard items to tick off but felt duplicative.
4. Emma by Alexander McCall Smith (from the "modern authors update Jane Austen" series) became a hate read for me and I probably only finished it because it was short and worked for a prompt. Just thinking about his obvious contempt for the character makes me angry all over again, lol.

message 7: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 364 comments With a few days left of my holiday travel, I am wishing to be back home. I got 2 books for Christmas
( Electric Arches by Eve L. Ewing and Happy Teachers Change the World A Guide for Cultivating Mindfulness in Education by Thich Nhat Hanh ,
and exchange credit for another one. I will probably get either Illuminae or Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders.

I finished 3 this week!
Ancillary Justice, which I really liked and also found challenging. Kind of wished I was reading it in a group to discuss what was going on! Maybe I can get a buddy read going for the sequels in the new year.
I decided to reread Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire because during our annual HP movie marathon I remembered that the books start getting longer and therefore diverge from the movies more at this point. I enjoyed reading it, but still think it is o e of my least favorite in the series.
And finally, by finishing Swimming Lessons this morning, I completed my final challenge list of the year! I liked this book a lot, it was very well constructed and so sad.

QOTW: see above - today I finished my Around the Year goal, and earlier in the year I finished Popsugar, Read Harder, a TBR challenge, and a color challenge. I’m feeling really great about how my year of reading went! And I’m looking forward to another one. I might be able to finish the year at 170 books, but I think at this point any books I choose are just gravy!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Kiefer | 118 comments Hello from freezing Cleveland - temperatures have felt below zero for the last few days, and there's no break in sight. (I had a lot of trouble sympathizing for football announcers complaining the bowl games in the South were "so cold" when it was 40*! That sounds heavenly.)

I'm eagerly counting down to the new year to jump back into reading. Taking a little break has been really refreshing, and enjoying football and video games without guilt is super nice, but I miss my challenges! I'm excited that next check-in I will have something to report.

QOTW:

1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? Yes! I beat my Goodreads goal of reading 150 books (made it to 179...should I sneak in one more?), and I finished the AtY, Read Harder, Popsugar, and Diversity Bingo challenges.

2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? A book set in the wilderness, though the book I filled it with wasn't my favorite.

3. And which one did you love the least? Espionage thriller. I happened to try one in 2016 and absolutely hated it, and thought - well, at least I never have to read one again. And then I did. Ugh.

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? I wish I could feel fine DNFing, but I just can't bring myself to do it. My 1* reads for this challenge were American Gods and Nathaniel's Nutmeg: How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History. I would've been more than happy to just take Nathaniel's Nutmeg back to the library, but I had many a fantasy of utterly destroying my copy of American Gods.

message 9: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 418 comments Heather wrote: "I can't believe we made it through 2017. Anyone else absurdly trying to make sure they have no books in progress so you start fresh on 1/1/18? Just me? Nevermind.

I also didn't get the reading tim..."

Same for me, you're not alone. I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows this morning and didn't start anything. I may read comic books during that 3 days.

Today it's very cold here: -40. I am going at Disney in a week and can't wait to escape the cold. I like snow, but not when you can't play outside because you get frostbite.

QOTW:
1- Reading goal completed at 70/50.
2- A book set in two different periods.
3- From a genre I dont normally read. There's a reason why I don't read some genre.
4- The Martian Chronicles. I really didn't like it, but finished it anyway because it was short stories and I hoped that one would be better.

message 10: by Crumb (last edited Dec 28, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Crumb | 395 comments I just finished Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. It easily got a five stars from me. Here is my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

QoTW:
1: Yes, I feel like I completed all my reading goals for this year. I only did the Goodreads challenge this year.. I pledged to read at least 61 books and I surpassed that. I read 82 and the year isn't over yet!
I can't answer question 2 or 3 because I didn't do the Popsugar challenge last year. This will be my first year as a participant.
4. Yes, I read a book I absolutely hated.. but finished anyway. The book was Fatal by John Lescroart

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 202 comments We finally got snow, making it a white Christmas in Omaha. Unfortunately, with the snow came icy roads and I had a little incident with the car when I lost control. No one is hurt so that is what matters.

Once again I finished four books this week, but they were all quick reads for my youth reading committee. I read Hello, Universe, Train I Ride, and Invisible Emmie. All were fine, not my favorite books though. I also read Letters from Father Christmas and really enjoyed it, so thanks to you all for suggesting it.

QOTW:
1- I surpassed all my reading goals for the year, so Hooray.
2- My favorite prompt was a book on my TBR list for way too long. Not only did it force me to take a look at my list, I read a great book.
3-My least favorite prompt was a book from a non-human perspective. I'm not into talking animals, and the book I read for this prompt was not real good.
4- I had a couple books that I really hated that I finished this year. One was for the non-human prompt, George and the Stolen Sunny Spot it was for the challenge and the committee. I think the worst one though was also for the committee, To Stay Alive: Mary Ann Graves and the Tragic Journey of the Donner Party it was awful and put me off grilled chicken for about eight months, blah.

Happy Reading in the New Year!

message 12: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Hello everyone! I can't believe we are approaching 2018 already ;)

Finished
Nasty Women - I really thought I was going to like this one more than I did. I still enjoyed it, but you can read my full review here.
The Last Letter from Your Lover - I LOVED this one! Two beautiful love stories, one spanning decades. I think Moyes really hit the nail on the head with the changing narrative. It flows back and forth beautifully. I also loved what a different feel this was from Me Before You, in a good way. I loved both books, but I think it's commendable that Moyes can write a sweeping historical love affair just as well as she can write a slow-burn contemporary read.
March: Book One - Another one I loved. I wasn't crazy about the artwork, but I think this one was more about the story. An amazing, and surprisingly uplifting, read about John Lewis' beginnings in the Civil Rights Movement and peaceful protesting.

This puts me at 38/40 and 8/12. I switched some things around and swapped in some short reads for my remaining prompts, so I should be able to finish by Sunday!

QotW:
1. Internally, I told myself I'd like to read 100 books by the end of the year. I'll be at about 68 when it's all said and done, but I beat my Goodreads goal, which was 52!
2. A book set in two different time periods. Loved the prompt and loved the book I read.
3. Right now I'm cursing a book from a genre you've never heard of. I'd like to fit something in quick and short that's already on my TBR, but this one make it a little difficult.
4. Yes. On the Road. I wrote an awful review for it and gave it 1 star. I can't believe we consider that drabble a classic.

message 13: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Happy End of 2017, everyone!

Before I get into the books, just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this group this year. You all read such interesting books and are so supportive of everyone's undertakings. And Sara, special thanks to you for all your work at keep this group working well. You've been a great moderator!

This week I finished the two books I had started last week:
The Swerve: How the World Became Modern
A Morbid Taste for Bones

And began another book:
Lincoln in the Bardo
I started it thinking I wouldn't be able to finish it before the new year, so I'd use it towards my 2018 reading goals. But it's going pretty quickly, so I may have to put it down and start something else so I can use this for next year's challenges -- I've already slated it for one of the prompts!

Questions of the Week

Yes! I finished Popsugar a week or two ago and ATY52 this week. I read more than the total number of books I had challenged myself to read (but of course, not nearly as many as I wanted to!).

A few -- book of letters, unreliable narrator, interesting woman, bestseller from 2016. I enjoyed finding books for these, though they didn't all end up being my favorite reads.

Again, there were a few -- audio book, multiple authors, career advice, repeat read (book that never fails to make you smile), red spine, day of the week in the title

Yes! The Alchemist. Thank goodness it was short!

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 488 comments Heather wrote: "I can't believe we made it through 2017. Anyone else absurdly trying to make sure they have no books in progress so you start fresh on 1/1/18? Just me?"

Not just you! :D

This week I finished A Man Lay Dead, which I received *last* year for Christmas. It was pretty good, but I'm starting to think I like my country house mysteries more as movies than as books - too hard to keep all the characters straight without images of them in my head.

I also finished Treasure Island. I wanted to read it because we're binge-watching Black Sails (amazing show - it's like Game of Thrones with more real history and GORGEOUS scenery), which is a prequel to the novel. It's every inch an adventure tale written for a tween, but it's fun as all get out.

QOTW:

YES! I read all the main challenge prompts, plus some bonus ones from the advanced list. For 2018 I'm challenging myself to do all main and advanced prompts

A book you bought on a trip. It was nice to have a souvenir of a trip, and I had plenty of leisure to read while on vacation. I also loved visiting Malaprop's Bookstore in Asheville to shop!

An espionage thriller. Just not my thing at all - this one was so specific it was hard to find something I liked that fit.

I don't make myself read books I hate. There were a few that were kind of meh. Ironically the book I liked least was probably Alabaster: Pale Horse, which was my book bought on a trip!

message 15: by Kenya (last edited Dec 28, 2017 08:56AM) (new)

Kenya Starflight | 661 comments A snowy hello from Idaho! :)

This week I finished Pandemonium (WEIRD book, and while I'm glad I read it I probably will never revisit it) and Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes (cute premise, but the plot was scattered all over the place and I have no desire to continue the series despite (view spoiler). Also finished Seriously Stupid Criminals, but that one was so insanely short I hesitate to even call it a book. More a very short collection of anecdotes...

Currently reading The Girl Who Drank the Moon, which will probably be my final book of the year before beginning the reading challenge. Is anyone else excited to dive into the challenge? I've already got my first book for the challenge lined up and ready to go...

QOTW:

I almost never set an actual reading goal apart from the PopSugar challenge. But I started this year's challenge in March and finished it in late September, so I don't think I did too bad...

Both "a book recommended by an author you love" and "a book mentioned in another book" were interesting prompts that required me to do some research, but in the end were fascinating to me. Also "a book with an eccentric character," "a book by a person of color," "a story within a story," and "a steampunk novel," which all introduced me to great new series to enjoy (John Dies at the End, Xenogenesis, The Orphan's Tales, and the Parasol Protectorate respectively).

"A bestseller from a genre you don't normally read" and "a bestseller from 2016." It seems bestselling novels and I rarely get along -- I hated both books I picked (Me Before You and The Girl on the Train), and have come to realize my taste in literature is way different from the norm.

The above-mentioned "Me Before You" and "The Girl On the Train," as well as the "unreliable narrator" book The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and the "set in a hotel" book Security. The biggest pet peeve I had with all these books is that the characters, main and otherwise, were just seriously unlikable, to the point where I didn't care what the heck happened to them by the end. Ah well...

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments I didn't finish any books this week because I'm still reading Bleak House. I'm over 3/4 done now, so there's some hope of me finishing before the end of the year (there are some perks to getting sick and needing extra rest time).

I also started The Healer's Apprentice just because I needed something to read while I was out of the house and didn't have my phone, and I could access that one on my huband's phone. It's okay, but I continue to be not that impressed with Melanie Dickerson's writing.

QOTW:

I may not quite meet my stretch goals (I've read 99 books so far this year, and really want to hit 100) but I blew my original goals out of the water. I was originally aiming for 42 books in the year, and completing the basic challenge by filling multiple prompts with the same book, and I managed to hit completing with a separate book for each prompt.

Lots of interesting prompts, but "A book by or about a person who has a disability" is the most interesting kind of expanding my reading horizons for me.

A bestseller from a genre you don't normally read. As others have said, there's a reason I don't read certain genres.

My lowest rated book that I still finished was not for the challenge. It was Gina Beale: Into the Fire, and I actually really enjoyed the premise and story, but the writing was pretty terrible and kindle book hadn't been edited properly at all, which made it kind of painful to read.

There were several 'meh' books I read for the challenge, but none of them were too terrible. I also had a couple of books I just couldn't stand to finish, like Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (which everyone else seemed to love...).

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1771 comments Sara wrote: "I also did not receive any books for Christmas (I think my family is intimidated at the thought of picking out books for me). .."

My solution to that is to maintain a public gift wish list on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble! I regularly update it and prioritize so friends and family can get me books they know I want.

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1771 comments BRRRR! Winter here with a vengeance! However, the holiday lights in NYC glitter like jewels against black velvet these cold winter nights, which makes it all perfect!

I finished my A to Z challenge this week with The Quiet Game, the first in the Penn Cage series by Greg Iles. Brilliant read - Cage, a writer/former prosecutor, returns home to Natchez, MS after the death of his wife, and becomes embroiled in reopening and solving a 30 year old cold case race murder. Written in 1999, it is extremely timely, addressing issues that still affect our society. I liked the writing a lot and will read more in the series.

I also read some Christmas romances -- the regency historical novellas in At the Christmas Wedding and the contemporary novella A Gansett Island Christmas, a special release by Marie Force on Christmas Day obtainable only at her website. Eventually it will be published as a bonus in an upcoming full novel.

Currently catching up on some other Marie Force books as I fell behind on all her series this past couple of years. And I have a couple of library loans that will expire soon which I need to read -- one might qualify for 2018 Pop Sugar Challenge so delaying until Monday on reading that one. Really excited to be starting the 2018 challenge this coming week!

Question of the week:

Surpassed actually - both in number, quality and diversity! Especially since I read a number of books from my personal library that I had been wanting to read, most significantly Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque.

Book of letters. I ended up reading two different ones - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and The Book of Emma Reyes: A Memoir, both of which were amongst my favorites of the year. I find I like this style a lot.

the two challenges that involved reading a genre don't normally read and a genre/subgenre never heard of - between being an eclectic reader and someone who haunts bookstores and reads a lot of book reviews, these were not easy to fulfill. Also, the subdivision into genres and subgenres seems extremely subjective, even meaningless.

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? Yes - The White City - not only do I not understand how this awful amateurish piece of writing got published in the first place, I certainly did not understand how it ended up being translated and published in English!

message 19: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 354 comments Happy New Year! Can't wait to start the 2018 challenge. It was so much fun being in the group for the 2017 challenge.

I am now like others trying to finish some books to start fresh in 2018. I might start one book towards the challenge though, as I have to return it on the 3rd of January and don't want to end up finishing it before. What if its really good and I can't put it down. The struggle is real...

Finished:
The Revenge of Seven not the best in the series but still good.

I am currently reading:
Dracula Quite liking it (60%)
Dark Witch If it doesnt improve it could be a DNF. But don't want to end the year with a DNF.

QOTW:
Yes! I put it at 52 and am at 129 so I am happy.

Travel

During wartime and Espionage thriller

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? Yes. It was the last one to complete the reading challenge and It had already caused me trouble to find a book I thought would be interesting. Really not my genre.
Espionage thriller. Slow Horses

message 20: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments I was the last sick family member over Christmas, but with my mom visiting that meant I got a lot of napping and reading time. I got an amazon gift card from my sister but otherwise no books. The girls got quite a few each though.

I finished Grand Hotel and ended up really liking it. If it weren’t for a prompt I think I would have put it down and never picked it up again because the first third or so is basically just character study and I was getting a bit bored. But once things started happening, they really happened and it ended up being a 4 Star read for me.

Then I read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and Saga, Vol. 4 on Christmas day, mostly because I needed some free loan space on Overdrive to start prepping for 2018 challenges.

I’m plugging away at Persian Letters and really enjoying The Passage on audio - I have about a third left. I’d like to get these both finished up by the end of 2017 - the first because it finishes the challenge for me and the second because the loan is almost due back.

QOTW:

Yes and no. I far surpassed my number goal - I started at 125, which felt like a stretch. I upped it to 175 and then 200 and I’m now at 237. That involves some picture books and graphic trades and short stories, but even if I removed anything shorter than novel length, I’ve still surpassed 125. I finished Book Riot and I will finish Pop Sugar. However, I wanted to also finish Bustles 2016 challenge and that didn’t happen once again. Oops. I terms of diversity, which is always a goal, I did okay. I read a nice split of men and women, could have done a bit better with POC/Indigenous/LGBTQ+/disability representation, had a nice mix of genres, but failed pretty hard to choose authors from a variety of geographical regions. Most of my books were authored by and set in English speaking areas. I also read fewer Canadian authors than I’d have liked to.

I try to read diversely, so those types of promos are my fav.

I’m not fond of duplication, like the mythology and genre prompts.

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? The Science Delusion: Asking the Big Questions in a Culture of Easy Answers, The First Raven Mocker and The Darkest Fire. Just three super duds out of 237 seems a good year to me! There were a few 2 stars as well, but in general I’ve read more great books than bad ones.

message 21: by Gracee (last edited Dec 28, 2017 02:00PM) (new)

Gracee Hastings | 1 comments I have a problem sometimes because I read super fast, over the summer I read about 40 at least probably way more, and that was just over the summer I have probably read definitely over 100 probably a lot more this year. also, I am in middle school. any good suggestions?

message 22: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 299 comments Hello from Columbus! Obviously not a ton of reading got done last week. So I really have to kick ass the next few days because I have one book left for this challenge and two left for book riot. Two books are half read, the third is pretty short. (Also happy 30th birthday to meeee 🎉🎊 I got a baby sitter for some reading time).

The Hound of the Baskervilles was next up of Stephen Fry’s narrated Sherlock Holmes collection. Which I just found out isn’t complete since I’m in the US and the UK gets a section that we don’t. So, boo in that. Like always, I enjoyed the story and Fry’s narration.

Far From You was a book riot prompt. I almost switched to a different title because it didn’t come in audiobook format but I’m glad I didn’t because I really enjoyed unfolding the mystery. It was a real page-tuner so I didn’t have any of my usual focus issues. (I typically need to be doing something with my hands in order to focus which is hard when you’re trying to hold a book). So yeah, this was enjoyable for YA.

Still at 40/40; 11/12 and 20/24 for book riot.

QOTW: Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? Yes! I went over by 22 books so far
2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? I honestly can’t pick. I really loved so much of what I read this year.
3. And which one did you love the least? I wasn’t crazy about a book I bought on a trip because I went no where this year and I don’t think I’ve ever bought a book on a trip before. So I just picked a title and went with it.
4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? I really didn’t like As I Lay Dying or Neuromancer. I’m so annoyed that I have to read another cyberpunk book in 2018.

message 23: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) Hello from Oregon- not super cold and just a little rain every now and then. I knew I wasn't going to get much reading done this week but I didn't count on being quite so tired.

I finished my 800+pager: New Women's Devotional Bible and now I have only 2 books left to finish the challenge. I am barely going to make it.

QoTW:
1. I did accomplish my goodreads book challenge of reading 52 books because I hadn't decided whether or not to include picture books but in the end I did include them because I just don't read as fast as everyone else and I don't have quite as much time as I thought I would either so overall I read 91 books but still have 2 more books for the Popsugar challenge.
2. I loved a lot of the prompts but not all the books I filled them with but my top 3 were "book with a cat on the cover" "a book that never fails to make you smile" and "a book about food"
3. I wasn't crazy about steampunk, espionage or career advice.
4. I hated Child of God , Love in the Ruins and The Invisible Library and I read them all the way to the end any way.

I better get back to reading still have time to finish my last 2!

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I postponed my check in because I finished up a book today lol I finished Magpie Murders and the Halloween Tree this week. I didn’t finish the challenge but I did finish my personal goal of 50 books.

Currently reading The German Girl and Emma

QOTW:
I didn’t really have favourite or least favourite prompts but one sort of disappointment was Hidden Figures. I loved the movie and felt like the book was too much detail about technology or other not so interesting to me bits. I loved that I read a lot more books by people of colour this year and it’s prompted me to focus on diversity next year. I’m excited to finish up this years and start next years, I’m planning on doing the first couple in tandem to finish up the ones I’m missing from ‘17.

message 25: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 430 comments I cannot believe the year is almost over. With the holidays and visiting and all that I didn't have time to finish much but I did get a few last books in.

Waking the Witch which wasn't bad except for the ending. Mercury Retrograde. I love this series which is so underrated and that makes me sad. I had time for a reread of Paradigm Shift: Equilibrium which I enjoyed.

QOTW

1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? - Yes I did. I finished multiple reading challenges including this one.

2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? A book based on mythology, . A steampunk novel, A book with an eccentric character A book about an interesting woman & The first book in a series you haven’t read before

3. And which one did you love the least? A novel set during wartime (hate war stories) A book that's more than 800 pages (The older I get the less I want to read long stuff, my attention span is shot), A book that takes place over a character's life span (another trope I hate) A bestseller from a genre you don’t normally read (I don't do this challenge to stretch my reading. I'm a diverse reader so if I don't read it it probably means I hate the genre) & the unreliable narrator (loathe them)

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? Oh yes, too many for this challenge or another. 5 Centimeters per Second, Misery Loves Maggody B.U.G. The Rope The No. 2 Feline Detective Agency

message 26: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny  (poshpenny) | 1847 comments Last check-in of the year! And I finished! Yay! Also Brrrrrr!

I got a white Christmas, which is super weird because I'm from SoCal and that stuff is only in movies. Apparently these things happen when you move north. I got two books for Christmas, neither of which were on my wish list, so the next day I went to Powell's and bought myself what I actually wanted. I have to eat noodles for two weeks now but it was totally worth it.

I finished Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the Race Against Time because it's nice and relaxing to have David Tennant read to you at night. I'm currently listening to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Over the Moon.

I also finished my last prompt book, Interesting Woman Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Questions of the Week:

Yes! I had my goal set to 52 for PopSugar, and so far I've finished 106! Thanks audiobooks!

Probably cat on the cover, because I had a great time searching for them. Reading-wise I loved the diversity prompts.

Career advice! Ugh with the self-help books. Although, the book I chose wasn't so bad.

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? The Mysterious Howling and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Bonus:
The books I received: Charlie Brown's Christmas Stocking by Charles M. Schulz Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them The Illustrated Edition by Newt Scamander

Books I bought: Tequila Mockingbird Cocktails with a Literary Twist by Tim Federle Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson From Here to Eternity Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

message 27: by Abigail (last edited Dec 29, 2017 10:04AM) (new)

Abigail Smith | 66 comments Happy New Year to all!

Last two challenge books in progress (American Gods and A Confederacy of Dunces) and a snowy weekend to entice me to stay in and finish them. I should cross the challenge finish line right in the nick of time!

QOTW:
1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? Yes. Although I upped my GR reading challenge mid-way through the year and then my reading speed promptly took a nose dive. In the end I had to mix in a few otherwise unplanned novellas and shorter books to hit my revised goal. I feel no shame in it though; I still read exponentially more than last year.
2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? A book with a subtitle. I love non-fiction so this one felt like a gimmie.
3. And which one did you love the least? A book with career advice. I don't love all genres of non-fiction, however.
4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 Terrible. I found it incredibly sexist.

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 542 comments Well I didn't get a ton read this week with all the travel and celebrating and what not, but I did finish The Invisible Man (which was just ok) and A Superior Death which was great. I don't know who here told me to stick with the series but I'm glad they did. The first one has a bit of New Series Syndrome (too much exposition and backstory), which is fortunately not carried over to the second one. So if you like the idea of a pack ranger solving mysteries you should check it out.

Yes! I originally set my goal at 52, but I quickly bypassed that.
A book over 800 pages; no because I particularly love long books but because it was the kick in the rear I needed to finish Les Misérables
A book that's becoming a movie in 2017. There's just never enough choices and often the choices aren't very good.
4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? Out of 92 books only 5 got the dreaded 1 star rating. The worst was Milk and Honey; it was just so amateurish.

message 29: by Sam (new)

Sam George | 26 comments I finished reading Murder Under the Christmas Tree a collection of stories set around Christmas by various authors. Loved it! Not sure what prompt it would fit though.
Reading Wonder by R.J. Palacio - thoroughly enjoying it.
Also listening to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carré.

QOTW - I thought I'd only manage about 20 books, but have read 39 I think, so yea me!

Some prompts not ticked off as I didn't finish the books I'd chosen. My TBR list has shrunk a little this year, but I've also added many more.

message 30: by Theresa (last edited Dec 29, 2017 04:16PM) (new)

Theresa | 1771 comments News just released that Sue Grafton, the author of the Kinsey Milhone alphabet series of detective novels, has died.

"The alphabet ends with Y."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...

message 31: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny  (poshpenny) | 1847 comments I saw that earlier. I haven't read her books, but I've always wondered what she would do after Z.

I do not like the answer.

message 32: by Monica (new)

Monica (monica020) | 59 comments Books Finished: None

Currently Reading:
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - Listening to for a local book club

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - Very long started for the 2017 reading challenge. It's questionable if I will finish prior to the end of 2018. It's getting tedious and boring.

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin - I'm a slow reader so that why it's taking me so long but still holding my interest

Questions:
1. I didn't finish reading goal. I read 33 of 40. The two long books above which I am actually reading (Kindle and Paperback) held me back from achieving I think because I don't have a lot of time to actually read but I spend a lot of time in the car so most of the read books was through Audible.

2. Prompt loved the most: A book by a person of color. I think this is mostly because I really enjoyed the book I choose, Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

3. Prompt I liked the least: Both prompts that wanted me to re-read a book. I don't re-read books. I didn't finish the challenge so I didn't do the "makes me smile" book and for the "book loved as a child" I changed the prompt for myself to be "book loved by children" and read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

4. Book hated but finished anyway: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. It wasn't so much that I hated it but it just didn't grab my attention at all so I zoned out while it played on Audible and I let it play out but didn't really listen to most of it.

message 33: by Monica (new)

Monica (monica020) | 59 comments Theresa wrote: "News just released that Sue Grafton, the author of the Kinsey Milhone alphabet series of detective novels, has died.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/......"

Oh man! That sucks :( I liked Sue Grafton's Alphabet series.

message 34: by Tami (new)

Tami (tamidale) Hello readers!

I have a couple of books in progress that I hope to finish New Year's Day and count toward the 2018 challenge. :)

Badlands for the local author prompt. This is really good so far!

Peace Like a River for a book set in the decade I was born (60's)--I know, I'm old compared to most of you!

Questions:

1) Yes, I met my reading goals and then some. I have never read so many books as I did this year, but even with all that there were a few books I wanted to read that I didn't get to.

2) Most loved prompt was a book published in 2017, which was so easy because I had several to choose from

3) Least loved prompt was a genre/subgenre that I had not heard of.

4) Book I hated, but finished anyway was Lincoln in the Bardo I thought this could have been so much better. The idea was innovative--the delivery fell flat.

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 40 comments Hey guys, been freezing here in CT but it’s warming up today with temps in the teens!! Can’t believe 2017 is coming to an end. I’m personally ready for 2018. Have had enough of 2017. I didn’t finish any books this week, I got a library book come in so I had to switch to that but I should finish that one before the end of the year.

Currently reading:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Rereading in Spanish
War and Peace this one is going to take a while
All the Light We Cannot See trying to squeeze this one into 2017

QOTW:
1. My goodreads goal was 20 books, crushed that with about 55 books. Also completed this challenge and ATY

2. Prompt i loved was the 800+ pages. Trying to read all of Stephen Kings books so this one was like a gimme

3. Def career advice. Not a fan of self help books

4. The Time Machine. Luckily this one was short so wasn’t too painful. Read it for a steampunk book

message 36: by Nadine in NY (last edited Dec 30, 2017 02:23PM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6324 comments Mod
I am super late this week, because my kids shared a fun stomach virus with me, and I've been laid up! Luckily, my mother is staying with us for the week, so someone was able to take care of the dogs (and also luckily, my mother has not gotten sick)!! it's good to be feeling better again, too.

I just stopped at the library today and picked up several books for the 2018 Challenge, so I am READY.

Last week I finished 2 novels and four graphic novels:
The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov - I may have mentioned this one last week. This was a re-read for me, I've decided to re-read all of Asimov's Robot/Empire/Foundation series, in order. The fourth robot book (Robots and Empire) is on my list of ideas for a 2018 Challenge category (year I graduated high school), so now I just need to read the third and I'm ready!

The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden - if it's possible to be simultaneously disappointed and pleased with a book, this is that book for me, because I wanted this to be SUPER AWESOME and instead it was just VERY GOOD.

And the graphic novels:
Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too by Jomny Sun - ugh not for me, I'm way too old and crusty for this book. I gave it to my 11 yo and she enjoyed it, so that proved my point. I think this book is perfect for kids in that sensitive and highly emotional period through high school and college (and anyone else who is sensitive and highly emotional, and/or loves motivational aphorisms).

Catwoman, Volume 1: The Dark End of the Street by Ed Brubaker - I LOVED this! I've never read anything by Brubaker and I've never read a Catwoman comic and I'm going to do more of both, soon!

Green Arrow, Volume 1: The Death and Life of Oliver Queen by Benjamin Percy - I really enjoyed this, but it's possible that's mostly because I just recently started watching the TV show and I really enjoy THAT.

Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars by Jeff Lemire and illustrated with gorgeous watercolors by Dustin Nguyen - this was SO gorgeous! This is exactly the kind of comic book that I love most. (If you were ever lucky enough to read Moonshadow by J.M. DeMatteis and illustrated by the incomparable Jon J. Muth (or read any of Muth's gorgeous picture books), and you loved it, then you must try Descender also! And if you've never read Moonshadow, and you are interested in graphic novels, I highly recommend that you try it out!!!)

QOTW
1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? I accomplished some of them! I finished this Challenge, and I did okay with my modest diversity goals, and I finished a few series I had started, but I did NOT finish the personal list of 41 books that I had pledged to myself that I would read in 2017. I'm four short on that list, two of the books are not available at all in my county library system (nor in NYPL's Overdrive), so I have to either buy them or skip them. The other two ... I just didn't get to. No excuses. One of those is Out of Africa, and I think I might read that next week for my "male pseudonym" book. I think I just give myself too many reading goals each year and I need to relax.

2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? - book on my TBR list the longest! The book I read was Crow Lake, and every time I looked at it, it looked interesting enough to keep on my TBR, but not interesting enough to read at that moment. And it was SO GOOD.

3. And which one did you love the least? - CAREER ADVICE!

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? Hahahahaha YES!!!! I had several hatereads this year!
11/22/63 by Stephen King - this was for the 2017 Challenge, 800+ pages, so I kept going, hating every moment; I think I should just stop reading Stephen King.
Empire of Storms - this is book whatever'th in Maas's Throne of Glass series, and I have hated the last few books sooooo much, but I perversely must know how it ends, so I keep reading them. I've got Tower of Dawn on my 2018 ideas list for "book with time of day in the title."
The Circle by Dave Eggers - another 2017 Challenge book, for "movie." I am never reading another Eggers book. The movie wasn't any better.
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles - my "hotel" book - I hated every single second of this book, but I know it's very popular with many of you!
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - this is so popular, and so I kept expecting it to get better, and ... it never did. Eventually I was reading it just for the sheer joy of getting to rip it apart in my GR review when I was done.
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore - another really popular book that I was so sure I would enjoy, since I like science books and I grew up in NJ near where it was set. Nope! Hateread!
and finally ...
See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt - ugh what a hot mess this book was. Just not my style AT ALL. Again, very well-reviewed by many people.

ahhhhh that was cathartic!

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma | 96 comments Hello everyone.

I can’t remember the last time I updated, the last few months my reading went to pot a bit, I stalled badly on my over 800 pages prompt, for which I read A Place of Greater Safety and couldn’t seem to get going again. Therefore I won’t finish the challenge by tomorrow and have decided to give myself the first week in January to finish the last couple of prompts before moving on to the 2018 challenge. I’m currently on Gaudy Night for the book that has been on my reading list for too long, will then have 2 out of 52 prompts to finish.

Questions:
Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017?
No - see above. 60 books overall though which was my goodreads target for number of books, but just a few prompts unfinished.

Hmmm, no particular prompt in itself, I think my favourite read was How to Be Both which fit the two time periods prompt. I wasn’t looking forward to the steampunk novel but ended up loving my pick - Soulless and going on to continue the series so that turned out to be a great prompt for me.

I didn’t mind career advice as I have been studying for my MA so just used one of those books to fit. I found the genre I hadn’t heard of difficult to fill and didn’t particularly enjoy the book I chose (genre Bangsian fiction, book A Houseboat on the Styx with the Pursuit of the Houseboat on the Styx )

A few books I didn’t particularly enjoy, not sure I outright hated but found The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August rather tedious, and was hugely disappointed by The Book Thief but both were books I already owned and used to fit the prompts so can’t blame it on the challenge itself. Similarly I’m glad the challenge made me get round to reading A Place of Greater Safety but I really struggled with it, some good writing in there but needed a lot more editing or a narrower, more focused scope. I got to the end glad to have completed it, but I’ve got to say it felt like a lot of work during.

message 38: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6324 comments Mod
Theresa wrote: "News just released that Sue Grafton, the author of the Kinsey Milhone alphabet series of detective novels, has died.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/......"

I saw that yesterday also, and I was crushed. She was only 77, I was so sure she had YEARS of writing ahead of her still! Her family says she was adamant about not having a ghostwriter, so it's unlikely we will get a Z.

message 39: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Nadine wrote: " I think I just give myself too many reading goals each year and I need to relax.
..."

I hear you! For the past 3 years I have done waaaaay too many challenges! In 2018 I am doing only two (Popsugar and ATY52) and I feel more relaxed already! I know myself well enough to know I will add little personal goals, but I'm not signing up for anything else. No. No no no no no NO!

message 40: by Megan (new)

Megan | 320 comments Since my last check-in, I finished up a few non-challenge reads:
* A Cure for Suicide, which was one of the dozen books I won from a local author; after finishing it, I realized that this one and another included in the box (Did You Ever Have a Family) were two of the National Book nominees the year that the author was one of the judges for the fiction category -- both were on the long list;
* Corrupted, which I really enjoyed;
* The Body in the Piazza, which was a quick read; and,
* The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which I enjoyed even though I figured out the guilty party, but not the motive. My little gray cells surprised me :-D Interestingly, this book was mentioned in the intro of The Best American Mystery Stories 2016, which I started right afterwards. That made the read even more fun!

Looking forward to the first check-in for the 2018 challenge! :)))))

Question of the week:
1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? Yes! I completed the two reading challenges I tried (this one and BookRiot Read Harder). I also met and surpassed my Goodreads Reading Challenge -- I bumped up the target number twice over the year. I'm debating what to aim for in 2018...at least for one more day. I'm looking forward to participating in the 2018 PopSugar and BookRiot challenges, and adding a new one (Modern Mrs. Darcy) to the mix. I cannot wait for midnight so that I can start them all! :-)))))))

2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? My favorite was "a book you loved as a child." I selected Ramona Quimby, Age 8 and it was an absolute joy to experience it as an adult. I can see why I loved it and was so happy to discover that it held up as an adult read. I'm seriously thinking of selecting that prompt for the "Your favorite prompt from the 2015, 2016, or 2017 PopSugar Reading Challenges" prompt because I loved the experience so much.

3. And which one did you love the least? It was a toss-up between "a book you've read before that never fails to make you smile," "a steampunk novel," and "a book you bought on a trip." I'm not much of a re-reader, so that was tough for me. I opted for a book I'd loved as a kid (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing), which made a prompt I was less than excited about fun. I ended up finding a fun steampunk option (Soulless) that a couple of my friends had previously read. I can't say I'd go out of my way for another steampunk novel, but I did like the book I picked and would read another in the series. I eventually found a viable option for the trip book (A Death Along the River Fleet), but it was challenging because most of the books I buy on trips are souvenir/coffee table books...or I read while I'm on the trip.

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? Looking back at my list of books, I didn't hate any of them. However, I did force myself to finish Dead Reckoning. I don't know if it's because I picked up something too far into the series, or if it's just a series that isn't for me, but, I was disappointed. Maybe I'll give one of the earlier books in the series a chance later on or try a different series by the author to see if that's a better fit.

message 41: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 430 comments Last week I finished three books:

Winnie-the-Pooh for various forest and wilderness prompts. I'd forgotten how funny these stories are!

Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads for a different challenge to read a book about a sheriff. I spent most of the year planning to read the next Longmire book but then realized I was out of time, so I took the first kid's book about a sheriff that I found in the library's search engine. This is cute and funny.

French Milk was my book about food. I loved Lucy Knisley's Relish: My Life in the Kitchen, but this was disappointing. I got a few shopping and dining tips out of it, but it was not deep or engaging.

QotW:

I've read 78 books and hope to polish off another one or two this evening, so I surpassed my Goodreads goal of 66. I surpassed my Humor Challenge goal and my Follow the Clues goal. I think everything else will be a fail, ranging from "So close!" to "Epic Fail Level: Expert." This challenge falls somewhere in the middle of that scale.
If we're looking at sheer numbers, it'd be "a book with an eccentric character," as I slotted 19 books into that category. But I think that was just because it was such a broad category that nearly everything I read qualified. There were several that I enjoyed more as prompts, even if I didn't read as many qualifying books for them. Maybe "a book written by someone you admire" or " book with a cat on the cover."

3. And which one did you love the least? "A book that takes place over a character's life span." I finally fudged on this one just to be done with it. There's something really wrong with a prompt that makes you exclaim out loud, "A little girl dying of cancer, yay!!"

4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? Yes. More than one, but the one that sticks out is Murder at the Male Revue.

message 42: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 430 comments Sheri wrote: "4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? The one I read for career advice, You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life ..."

Oh, I hear you on this one! I bought it on the recommendation of an SAI sister, so I felt compelled to work my way through it. I did a LOT of skimming, but I made it, and by some miracle I did not fling it at the wall. Ugh.

message 43: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 430 comments Megan wrote: "... 2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017?
- Tough question. Its hard to separate the prompt from the book I read for it. I'll go with book that has been on my TBR list for way too long ..."

That's a good one, too. I defined it for myself as one that's been sitting on my shelf for at least 5 years, and I am ashamed of myself that I completed only four books that qualified.

message 44: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 430 comments Heather wrote: "... Anyone else absurdly trying to make sure they have no books in progress so you start fresh on 1/1/18?..."

Yeah, that is so not happening for me! I have absurd goals, but I'm learning to recognize my limits. I am, however, putting off starting several books until I wrap up some more of the ones I've started this year.

message 45: by Eujean2 (last edited Dec 31, 2017 02:56PM) (new)

Eujean2 | 249 comments Due to holiday craziness and a stupid head cold, this more like a 2.5 week check in.

Since my last check in I've finished:
- Changeless
- Kim & Kim Vol. 1 (re-read for graphic novel club)
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (turns out that this is a better choice for the story within a story than the book I originally read for the prompt
- Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
- Waistcoats & Weaponry
- The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't
- Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1
- Manners & Mutiny

Yes! I upped my overall reading goals a couple times during the year when I found several reading challenges. I ended up reading *201* books/graphic novels! (GoodReads says I've read 203 books, but there are counting two re-reads.) Last January I wouldn't have guessed that I would read that much. I completed the Pop Sugar, Book Riot, AtY52, & the Mary Sue Book Challenges. I've been too under the weather to look at my statistics, but I was also aiming for an average of about 1/2 books by authors of color. (Not including comics/graphic novels.) I think I cam very close, if I didn't throw things off with the books I chose to read this week while I was sick.

Turns out I loved the steampunk prompt. I read the first book in Gail Carriger's finishing school series. I just finished the fourth (& final) book today. I also branched out into her Soulless series that I like even better (but which is harder to get at my library.) I will certainly be reading a much of her work as I can get my hands on.

The 800 page book. I've never met a book that long that I didn't think needed some editing. I wasn't all that wild about my choice (Outlander), so I felt like it needed A LOT of editing. It turns out I like shorter books, but will read lots of books in a series.

I only finished Starlight because it was the monthly read for my in person comic book reading group. I was ready to throw it out the window after page two.

Thank you to everyone in this group for being great company through this year. I may have only found you in March & only really started posting in the weekly threads in September, but you all have made me feel good about reading so much. Plus you have introduced me to tons of new books. My TBR list is longer than ever!

Happy New Year to everyone! May 2018 be filled with great reading!

message 46: by AF (new)

AF | 347 comments Last check in for the year... I'm home sick with strep throat so here I am online while my family parties. LOL

I'm really glad I found this reading challenge. This year was my second year of the challenge and I am looking forward to next year. It has really opened me up to some new genres and has me reading more than ever.

1. Did you accomplish your reading goals for 2017? My goal was to complete this challenge, which I did. I'm very happy.
2. Which prompt did you love the most in 2017? I enjoyed the prompt about rereading a book I loved as a child. I didn't enjoy the book as much as I had hoped, but I loved that prompt.
3. And which one did you love the least? I disliked the one on career advise. I'm not too happy at work right now, so reading about it didn't help. I wanted it to, but it didn't.
4. Did you read a book that you simply hated (but finished anyway)? The Shack. Sorry. I seriously skimmed the last half of that book. Bo-ring.

message 47: by Conny (last edited Jan 02, 2018 11:35AM) (new)

Conny | 130 comments I read the following books in this period:

The Shining Girls
Fascinating thriller, which (by the way) will perfectly fit the time travel prompt for 2018.

The Brightest Star in the Sky
Irish novelist Marian Keyes is excellent at writing comedies about serious topics. This one is no exception, but it is a particularly charming book with brilliant characters and an optimistic touch to the tragic elements.
This would fit the "song lyrics in the title" prompt for 2018.

Yes, but only barely: I pledged 100 books on Goodreads and finished the 100th book a day before Noew Year's Eve!
I already completed the PS challenge in September and continued with the Mount TBR challenge, where I also met my goal with time to spare.
I like the audiobook prompt, because it finally gave me a reason to listen to one^^ I usually don't have the patience for them, but I actually enjoyed it. I also liked the "first book in a series" prompt because it gives you so much leeway and the one that's "becoming a movie in 2017".
The "career advice" one was a real drag. The "book you bought on a trip" one was hard, because I usually go on trips armed with enough books, so I don't have to buy any new ones.
Yes, Career Advice and (unpopular opinion alert!) Robinson Crusoe. I always finish my books, no matter how painful ;)

New Girl by the Sea (danaikeir) | 1 comments I’m still going with the 2017 challenge... 🤦🏼‍♀️

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura Miles | 243 comments Danai wrote: "I’m still going with the 2017 challenge... 🤦🏼‍♀️"

Same. That happened to me last year - had some 2016 hangovers that I finished while starting the 2017 list. Some of them ended up being more tedious than expected. I'm still planning to finish, though, in my own time.