The Next Best Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Revive a Dead Thread > Septembers group selection

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10062 comments Mod
So what would we like to see our September catagory be? So far we have done YA, Short Story, Book and Movie, Classics, Humorous/written by a comedian....

What do we think for the upcoming nomination?

Required School Reading - as in books that we were assigned in school (Grapes of Wrath, Catcher in the Rye, Ordinary People, Great Gatsby)?

Banned Books?

Do we want to keep it somewhat school related? Or have you other ideas? I want to get your input before we start nominations towards the end of the week...

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I like the Banned Books idea

message 3: by Gretta (new)

Gretta | 18 comments I would like to read "Required School Reading" because I would appreciate what I didn't when I was in High School. Yuck. Like On the Beachby Nevil Shute. A book is always better when someone is not making you read it. Ha!

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo Thats true! lol

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethswaney) | 3 comments Both sounds great to me.

message 6: by Felina (new)

Felina Gretta wrote: "I would like to read "Required School Reading" because I would appreciate what I didn't when I was in High School. Yuck. Like On the Beachby Nevil Shute. A book is always better when s..."

Completely agree!

message 7: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments I like the Banned Books idea and the Humorous/written by a comedian.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo Thats a good one Edith!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I like both ideas, but am leaning toward the books required for school idea.

Also, H G Wells was born in September, so we could read a book written by a classic Sci-fi author like Wells, Heinlen, Asimov, etc.

message 10: by Diane (last edited Aug 11, 2009 09:00AM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Gretta wrote: "I would like to read "Required School Reading" because I would appreciate what I didn't when I was in High School. Yuck. Like On the Beachby Nevil Shute. A book is always better when s..."

Well put Gretta. Required School Reading gets my vote. Plus September always reminds me of heading back to school.

message 11: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I pick the Banned Books idea.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) I like both the Banned Books and the school books :)

message 13: by Serena (new)

Serena Banned Books - always a good choice. Humorous/written by a comedian sounds good too.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments I think Humorous/written by a comedian sounds really good right now.

message 15: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Humorous/Comedian was already done a few months ago. I was mentioning ones we had already done so as not to repeat them :)

Looks like Required School Reading might be our themed catagory then for this coming month!

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra I like the Banned Books and Classic Sci-Fi ideas.

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina I agree with Petra...Banned Books and Classic Sci-Fi.

message 18: by Brandee (new)

Brandee | 6 comments Banned books and books read in school could be combined to books that were banned from schools.

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

If Sci Fi doesnt make it this month, we can also look at for another upcoming month.....

I was thinking October we could stick with horror/scary books like we did last year, that seemed to work out really well!!

message 20: by JSou (new)

JSou I like the Required School Reading Theme. Since joining Goodreads, I've realized how many great "school" books I missed out on in school. If that one works out, I can't wait to see the nomination list. I bet there will be a lot of good ones on there!

I would love the horror theme for October!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) The horror theme for October is great.

message 22: by Felina (new)

Felina I like the horror theme. Looking forward to October.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 48 comments yeah, i only ever read "excerpts" of classic books in high school and we never really had a summer reading list, so there's lots of great books that i missed out on. so, my vote is for required school reading.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin (robincarlton) | 21 comments I loved the banned books / classic Sci-Fi idea! Could really give some nice diverse choices for reading in Sept!

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) I like the required school reading idea for September

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I cheated on the required reading in high school and read the yellow and black "Cliff Notes" instead of the books!

message 27: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairebear8) | 514 comments The required reading sounds good to me. Looking forward to the horror one for October!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) I vote for the books required for school category!

message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments I like Banned Books and then Theatre (any plays - shakespeare, greek tradegies, broadway musicals, etc)

message 30: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments I also vote for books that are required for school....If that is chosen maybe I'll get one done that my kids are reading. :~)

I LOVE the idea of a horror one for October.

message 31: by Tara (new)

Tara I'm another vote for the "required school reading" theme. I loved those books in high school, and always want to revisit them, so this would be a great excuse!

message 32: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ok, Required reading is still taking the lead....

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) Tara wrote: "I'm another vote for the "required school reading" theme. I loved those books in high school, and always want to revisit them, so this would be a great excuse!"

You were one of those kids too, huh? I always loved the required reads and EVERYONE else hated them! I even enjoyed when we had to write essays on them. No wonder my husband starting calling me Lisa Simpson *wink* lol

message 34: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I was the same way. No Cliff Notes for me.. I read each and every one of them, even if I didnt love them.... but more times than not, I adored them.

Yvette (hooked on the nook) (yjacobs99) I am actually ready for either some good humor, such as Julie & Julia by Julie Powell or a fun summer themed read like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares. Something light, fun and interesting.

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Well, you could nominate one of those as our Regular Fiction/Non Fiction catagory book....

I have two catagories. One is the Fic/Non Fic, which is permanent, month in and month out.

The other is a themed book. Since Humor was already done, I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

message 37: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Lori, I know, I cringed when I admitted to using Cliff Notes -LOL

message 38: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Well, at least you realised what you were missing, right!!

message 39: by Apokripos (last edited Aug 11, 2009 06:05PM) (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) May I suggest the very first bestselling books of some of today's popular authors? Meaning their very first book that rocket-launched their career to stardom.
What do you all say to that?

message 40: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments That sounds like a very good idea to me, jzhunagev.

message 41: by Apokripos (last edited Aug 11, 2009 06:13PM) (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) Popularandi wrote: "That sounds like a very good idea to me, jzhunagev."

Well, thanks. Let's see what Lori thinks about this since she is the moderator and the one who gets to decide things 'round here.

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments I like the required reading since I didn't really like reading them in hs, but totally want to read them now. & besides there are way more of them then the six I was supposed to read each year

message 43: by Dara (new)

Dara | 88 comments Felina wrote: "Gretta wrote: "I would like to read "Required School Reading" because I would appreciate what I didn't when I was in High School. Yuck. Like On the Beachby Nevil Shute. A book is alway..."

I agree too! lol

message 44: by Dara (new)

Dara | 88 comments jzhunagev wrote: "May I suggest the very first bestselling books of some of today's popular authors? Meaning their very first book that rocket-launched their career to stardom.
What do you all say to that?"

Fantastic idea!

message 45: by Dara (new)

Dara | 88 comments Yvette wrote: "I am actually ready for either some good humor, such as Julie & Julia by Julie Powell or a fun summer themed read like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares. Something light, fu..."

I have been wanting to read Julie & Julia myself. And I am definitely in the mood for light and fun, easy-reading type stuff lately.

message 46: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I vote for the "required school reading".

message 47: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Jzhunagev, If you mean a themed selection of books from a certain list or that have won a certain award, that could be a potential theme for a future month, sure.

I think it would be too difficult to just randomly decide what books we think catapulted an author into the spotlight.

message 48: by Apokripos (last edited Aug 11, 2009 11:47PM) (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) Lori wrote: "Jzhunagev, If you mean a themed selection of books from a certain list or that have won a certain award, that could be a potential theme for a future month, sure.

I think it would be too difficu..."

I do admit that this would be too difficult...
Well, it's still up to you to decide on this...
next month will be just alright with me and that will give us a few time to iron out this category...
thanks... ^_^

message 49: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

So here is my thinking, based on the feedback I have been seeing---

September -Required School Reading theme
October - Horror/scary theme

at some point soon we are looking to get in a Sci-Fi theme, a play, and a book from a list or an award winner......

message 50: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I like those ideas.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.