Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM - February, 2018 - Do You Want to Start a Scandal

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Priya (last edited Dec 30, 2017 09:46AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Discussion thread for February, 2018 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions).

Happy reading:)

Do You Want to Start a Scandal
Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5, Castles Ever After, #4) by Tessa Dare

On the night of the Parkhurst ball, someone had a scandalous tryst in the library.
• Was it Lord Canby, with the maid, on the divan?
• Or Miss Fairchild, with a rake, against the wall?
• Perhaps the butler did it.

All Charlotte Highwood knows is this: it wasn’t her. But rumors to the contrary are buzzing. Unless she can discover the lovers’ true identity, she’ll be forced to marry Piers Brandon, Lord Granville—the coldest, most arrogantly handsome gentleman she’s ever had the misfortune to embrace. When it comes to emotion, the man hasn’t got a clue.

But as they set about finding the mystery lovers, Piers reveals a few secrets of his own. The oh-so-proper marquess can pick locks, land punches, tease with sly wit... and melt a woman’s knees with a single kiss. The only thing he guards more fiercely than Charlotte’s safety is the truth about his dark past.

Their passion is intense. The danger is real. Soon Charlotte’s feeling torn. Will she risk all to prove her innocence? Or surrender it to a man who’s sworn to never love?

message 2: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments Yay! I loved this book!

message 3: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 584 comments Yay! Love this book too!

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments On order at library! Yay!

message 5: by Al George , Mod (new)

Al George  (georgieme) | 1575 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to this one. It's one of my Mad About Series challenge books!

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments I'm really looking forward to reading this. I'm doing my best not to cheat and start before February!
That would be cheating....right? Okay. I'll wait. :D

message 7: by Priya (new)

Shannon wrote: "I'm really looking forward to reading this. I'm doing my best not to cheat and start before February!
That would be cheating....right? Okay. I'll wait. :D"

Not cheating, exactly. But as it is BOTM, we usually read it in that month.

Quite difficult to wait to read when you have the book already. Isn't it?:)

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3780 comments Mod
I intend to listen for a reread. I believe this was one of my favorite Spindle Cove books, so I am looking forward to it!

message 9: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments I may try this one but I have yet to like a Tessa Dare book so this would probably be her last chance with me.

message 10: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments I have read and enjoyed all four Spindle Cove books prior to this one (not the novellas) and look forward to reading this one for the first time. Should I read or listen? My library has both.

message 11: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

That’s a tough call. I plan to listen, but I have read before. The narrator is one I am picky with.

message 12: by Al George , Mod (new)

Mariana wrote: "I have read and enjoyed all four Spindle Cove books prior to this one (not the novellas) and look forward to reading this one for the first time. Should I read or listen? My library has both."

Joanna wrote: "That’s a tough call. I plan to listen, but I have read before. The narrator is one I am picky with."

I'm planning to listen as well. I have read most of the series other than one of the novellas so i am interested to see the difference. Why not do both?

message 13: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Ally wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I have read and enjoyed all four Spindle Cove books prior to this one (not the novellas) and look forward to reading this one for the first time. Should I read or listen? My library..."

Good point. I will definitely be able to make progress each day that way.

message 14: by Missy (last edited Jan 30, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

Missy | 891 comments Giselle wrote: "I may try this one but I have yet to like a Tessa Dare book so this would probably be her last chance with me."

I haven't found a Tessa Dare book that I liked, too. I'm currently on Chapter 4 (listening, not reading), and I'm already losing interest. Too soon to judge?

message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Hmmm, I rather think TD is either a winner or a dud, not too many in between.

message 16: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Yeah, I have loved some of her books; but thought more than a few below average. Haven't started this one yet though.

message 17: by Geri (new)

Geri I’ll be reading this one. Out of order too. Shhhh...don’t tell. :) Glad some have really loved the book. I’ll start soon.

message 18: by Lorien (last edited Feb 01, 2018 07:20AM) (new)

Lorien | 386 comments A non-spoiler warning I can give is if you are a stickler for historical accuracy in hrs. This might not be your book.

message 19: by Geri (new)

Geri I have only read chapter 1. But I had to comment here already. I see why some loved this! If this is the way the rest of the book will be, it will be fun!

message 20: by Missy (last edited Feb 01, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Missy | 891 comments Geri wrote: "I’ll be reading this one. Out of order too. Shhhh...don’t tell. :) Glad some have really loved the book. I’ll start soon."

I'm reading this series out of order, too. So far, it seems to do well as a standalone.

The brief scene with her brother-in-law, Colin Sandhurst, I believe from A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) by Tessa Dare A Week to Be Wicked, has me intrigued with his romance with the heroine's sister. Maybe I'll read that book first before Do You Want to Start a Scandal. I know a few readers really enjoyed A Week to Be Wicked and I have been eager to read it.

message 21: by Missy (new)

Missy | 891 comments Lorien wrote: "A non-spoiler warning I can give is if you are a stickler for historical accuracy in hrs. This might not be your book."

Thanks for the warning, but I anticipated this whenever I read Tessa Dare and Julia Quinn books (and others).

message 22: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments Missy wrote: "Geri wrote: "I’ll be reading this one. Out of order too. Shhhh...don’t tell. :) Glad some have really loved the book. I’ll start soon."

I'm reading this series out of order, too. So far, it seems ..."

I want to read this one soon as well.

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Have not started yet even though I was sorely tempted before January ended. Now, however, I am shamelessly involved with a rascally wounded duke and his nurse. I plan to start "Do You Want to Start a Scandal" when I hit the 3/4 mark of my current read "Never Dare a Wicked Earl". I have the audio version on hold at the library, maybe it will be in by then, if not I'll read my e-book version. Looking forward to it.

message 24: by Geri (new)

Geri Missy wrote: "I'm reading this series out of order, too. So far, it seems to do well as a standalone.
."

I’m sure I am missing some stuff by not reading in order. And I will probably read her brother’s story soon too. But I am really enjoying the book so far. Chapter 5 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 25: by Priya (new)

I chose to sit this out, initially, because this is the fifth book in a series and Tessa Dare is a new-to-me author. But with so much of excitement in this thread and so many people loving it, I decided to try the book.
I hope this can be read as a standalone and that I wouldn't be spoiling earlier books for myself.

message 26: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments This is my 2nd time reading without finishing all of the books before it and I'd say you shouldn't be too confused. There be a couple of surprises about who gets together. But that' it.

I just re-started last night and I'd forgotten how funny just their greeting was. And this line how Piers describes her (view spoiler) I think it's one of my favorite descriptions of a heroine ever.

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Lorien wrote: "This is my 2nd time reading without finishing all of the books before it and I'd say you shouldn't be too confused. There be a couple of surprises about who gets together. But that' it.

I just re-..."

I love the opening scene! It's all I've listened to so far, but Tessa Dare has so much fun with her character intros. Definitely one of her signatures. I left off with them (view spoiler)

message 28: by Priya (new)

Lorien wrote: "This is my 2nd time reading without finishing all of the books before it and I'd say you shouldn't be too confused. There be a couple of surprises about who gets together. But that' it."

Good to know. If it is only who gets together, I don't mind much.

message 29: by Al George , Mod (new)

Hoping to start this in another week. I'll be keeping an eye on your posts though.

message 30: by Geri (new)

Geri Priya wrote: "I chose to sit this out, initially, because this is the fifth book in a series and Tessa Dare is a new-to-me author. But with so much of excitement in this thread and so many people loving it, I de..."

I don’t think you’ll regret reading this, Priya. I haven’t read the other books. But if the others are half as good, I will be! I’ve read 2/3 of the book so far. It’s on its way to being a 5 Star read for me. It’s got many things I like, humor, good chemistry between the main characters, and some intrigue.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 363 comments Missy wrote: "I haven't found a Tessa Dare book that I liked, too. I'm currently on Chapter 4 (listening, not reading), and I'm already losing interest. Too soon to judge?

If you haven't liked her others, I have my doubts that you will enjoy this one. They are all very similar stories.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 363 comments Priya wrote: "I chose to sit this out, initially, because this is the fifth book in a series and Tessa Dare is a new-to-me author. But with so much of excitement in this thread and so many people loving it, I de..."

It can be read as a standalone, but it does reference other books in the series as the heroine's two sisters have books and the hero's brother has a book as well.

message 33: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments Haha. I'm already finished.

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments I think I have to be in the right mood for Tessa Dare. She's funny and I love her witty scandalous characters, but I've learned to save her reads when I want a lighthearted quirky romance. There are definitely different seasons for style. Currently I'm loving this. (view spoiler)

Quarter of the way through.

message 35: by Priya (last edited Feb 04, 2018 01:26AM) (new)

I finished this one in a day!
(view spoiler)
I loved the humour and (view spoiler)

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

When you can finish a book in one day, that’s always a good sign. Glad you enjoyed, Priya!

message 37: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Priya wrote: "I finished this one in a day!
[spoilers removed]
I loved the humour and [spoilers removed]"

I'm with you Priya! I started this book just yesterday and could not put it down, so I finished within 24 hours.

message 38: by Shannon (last edited Feb 04, 2018 05:01PM) (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Mariana wrote: "Priya wrote: "I finished this one in a day!
[spoilers removed]

I'm with you Priya! I started this book just yesterday and could not put it down, so I f..."

I'm in awe. Seriously. I don't know how you read a whole book in one day. I need a speed reading course. Audio has helped me get more books in my brain...but zipping over the words with my eyes, especially if it's good, I'll go back over a paragraph and reread....days later, I'm finished. The challenges have helped me make ample reading time a must every day.

Glad to hear all the great reviews! It's been a great audio read.

message 39: by Geri (new)

Geri Priya wrote: "I finished this one in a day!
[spoilers removed]

I agree Priya, Charlotte’s mother giving poor Charlotte the talk was hilarious. The only part that disappointed me was the resolution of the mystery. A bit anti climactic to me. Still, I enjoyed it so much I gave it 5 stars.

message 40: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Shannon wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Priya wrote: "I finished this one in a day!
[spoilers removed]

I'm with you Priya! I started this book just yesterday and could not put..."

Shannon, I can rarely read a book in less than 3 days, and I have found myself challenging how fast and how much I can read since becoming active on GR. Even when I know I don’t have time for it, I somehow manage. Just too many books I want to read.

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Priya wrote: "I finished this one in a day!
[spoilers removed]

I'm with you Priya! I started this book just yesterday a..."

Joanna,

Me too! I wish I had found goodreads years ago. It's the challenge that keeps me searching and reading and finding new authors. I've been living in the dark ages, no doubt.

message 42: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments I felt silly that I'd basically shirked all chores and grown up responsibilities and finished this in a little over a day. I see I'm not the only one!

I have to say I found it slightly less funny the 2nd time through, but more romantic.

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Shannon wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Priya wrote: "I finished this one in a day!
[spoilers removed]

I'm with you Priya! I start..."

I know. I wish I had also. I technically joined a few years ago, but I was only using it to keep track of what books I read, never realizing there was all this interaction to be had until about a year ago.

message 44: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Ally wrote: "Hoping to start this in another week. I'll be keeping an eye on your posts though."

That’s about when I plan to start.

message 45: by Priya (new)

Shannon wrote: I'm in awe. Seriously. I don't know how you read a whole book in one day. ..."

I usually take 4-5 days to read a novel. This is the second book I read in one day!

message 46: by Geri (new)

Geri Priya wrote: "Shannon wrote: I'm in awe. Seriously. I don't know how you read a whole book in one day. ..."

I usually take 4-5 days to read a novel. This is the second book I read in one day!"

I’m curious and have to ask. What other book did you read in 1 day?

message 47: by Geri (new)

Geri Joanna Loves Reading wrote: “I know. I wish I had also. I technically joined a few years ago, but I was only using it to keep track of what books I read, never realizing there was all this interaction to be had until about a year ago.
"

Ditto here! Just kept track of my books too. But now I love discussing books of all types and genres here on goodreads!

message 48: by Priya (last edited Feb 05, 2018 05:14PM) (new)

Geri wrote: "Priya wrote: "Shannon wrote: I'm in awe. Seriously. I don't know how you read a whole book in one day. ..."

I usually take 4-5 days to read a novel. This is the second book I read in one day!"

I’..."

The other one is not a Romance. It was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Most of the HP fans must have read it that way:)

message 49: by Missy (new)

Missy | 891 comments I can't stand the suspense! Who did have the tryst in the library?! I just want to jump ahead and find out but I shall be patient a little longer.

message 50: by Al George , Mod (new)

Ok I'm keeping this short due to dealing with family member in hospital, but I've started listening when I get free moments and I have one thing to say: Edmund is a brat!

I'll read your comments as I get an opportunity, I promise. Someone tell me Edmund becomes likeable or he gets his own comeuppance.

« previous 1