Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > same edition, different printing, different pagination

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nastassja (new)

Nastassja Riemermann (tsukikage) | 11 comments I happen to have two different copies of this book, which are verified to have the same ISBN-10. One is the first printing, which has 1,057 pages, and the other is the 4th printing, with a vastly different 1,482 pages, which makes things difficult for readers currently reading the "wrong" printing of the book. What's the best way to handle this?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Are they otherwise the same? Are the covers identical?

message 3: by Nastassja (new)

Nastassja Riemermann (tsukikage) | 11 comments rivka wrote: "Are they otherwise the same? Are the covers identical?"

Technically speaking the first printing I'm working with doesn't have a cover... It's a PDF of said first printing that only includes the pages inside the book, including the complete copyright page.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

What about the first edition that was actually published?

message 5: by Nastassja (new)

Nastassja Riemermann (tsukikage) | 11 comments I follow you. Lemme research that and get back to you.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If they have different covers, then having two distinct editions is easy, and the page counts can correspond to the covers. If the covers are identical, two editions are likely to get merged as duplicates.

message 7: by Nastassja (new)

Nastassja Riemermann (tsukikage) | 11 comments You mean the first printing? To be clear, I'm talking exclusively about the 4th edition here, just two different printings. In the research I've done via Google I'm finding zero information on whether the first printing had a different cover. I'm going to try contacting the author and/or publisher in the morning.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Two printings of the same edition differ by 400+ pages?