Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Level 2 (Investigator) > Joy’s 2018 Cozy Challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (last edited Dec 27, 2017 09:14PM) (new)

Joy | 11 comments I’m going with Option A this year to try to make some progress on series that I started with all the categories in 2017! I’ll post my finishes here.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 228 comments Sounds like a good plan!

message 3: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
Good luck & Happy reading

message 4: by Cat (new)

Cat Tutt (cattutt) | 16 comments That's a great plan. My husband actually asked me about finishing the series after I start them to meet the categories, so perhaps I'll be doing this next year!

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy | 11 comments 1. Button Holed by Kylie Logan
4 stars
This author wrote the first cozy mystery I ever read, and I went on to devour the entire series (League of Literary Ladies). I am so sad that it is finished. I tried her Ethnic Eats series and wasn’t smitten, but this one is right on the money. The characters and premise are fun, and it has the lol moments, almost slapstick in nature, that I loved about the Literary Ladies. I will be back to Josie’s button shop, no doubt

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 41 comments I first encounter Kyle Logan with the Button series. I like them very much. There are 4 Books in the series. She also writes as Casey Daniels, paranormal mysteries.

message 7: by Joy (last edited Mar 05, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Joy | 11 comments 2. The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun
4 stars
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. First published in the 1960s, it has a depth of development and an elevated writing voice that take me back to long, lazy summer afternoons with a book in my hands at my grandmother's house. The title cat is all kinds of sophisticated and quirky and perfectly designed to support an entire series. I look forward to reading the next one.

message 8: by Joy (new)

Joy | 11 comments 3. Take the Monkey and Run by Laura Morrigan
3.5 stars
Positive:
I very much appreciate a mystery that does NOT revolve around a murder.
Morrigan’s use of dialogue is awesome.
Great ending!
Negative:
The book seems to take a long time to get moving and drags in places compared to Books 1-3.
There isn’t enough animal interaction throughout most of the book, especially with the monkey, whom I’ve been waiting to meet for four books.

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy | 11 comments 4. Murder on Opening Night by Elizabeth Spann Craig
4 stars
I’ve come to see this series and my “Gilligan’s Island” of the book world. It has fun characters and lol moments and ridiculousness that just makes me feel good. I hope I can be as feisty as Myrtle when I grow up - she’s the best!

message 10: by Joy (new)

Joy | 11 comments 5. The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan
4 stars
I was extremely happy with this one right up to the reveal. The premise (death of the son of an underprivileged family being swept aside for “more important” cases), the setting (Mumbai), and the characters (detective forced into retirement, force-of-nature wife in constant battle with the apartment building manager, and a BABY ELEPHANT) are really engaging.

The reveal, in two parts, was just sloppy. It was the classic “ok, you caught me, so I will spill everything in a nice clear timeline now. You’re welcome.” I will still read the second one. After all, BABY ELEPHANT!

message 11: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 650 comments Mod
I’ve heard good things about this book.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Joy wrote: "5. The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra by Vaseem Khan
4 stars
I was extremely happy with this one right up to the reveal. The premise (death of the son ..."

Yeah good book, 👍👍👍

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) | 553 comments Joy wrote: "2. The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun
4 stars
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. First published in the 1960s, it has a depth of development and an e..."

I love the "Cat Who" books--one of my favorite mystery series!

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy | 11 comments 6. Knot What It Seams by Elizabeth Spann Craig
4 stars
A fun, if a bit predictable, cozy mystery. I love this author, and I am getting attached to the characters in this series as well.