Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's Belated November 2017 Reads

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Again just a couple. Work too busy.

Y is for Yesterday (Kinsey Millhone, #25) by Sue Grafton Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton. Read by Judy Kaye. 3/5

A young man is released from prison, and his parents receive a blackmail threat related to the murder he was convicted of. Kinsey juggles this case with the returning threat of the maniac who caused her considerable harm in the last book. I liked the story but it’s starting to feel like Kinsey and her cast of characters are getting a little threadbare.

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Millennium, #5) by David Lagercrantz The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye. David Lagercrantz. Read by Simon Vance. 4/5.

Lisbeth, imprisoned for her involvement in a case concluded in the previous novel, gets involved in another complicated case that is somehow connected to her background. Another action packed episode in the adventures of Lisbeth and the gang, the ending of which seemed to me to lack a punch even though things were wrapped up.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Carol: Interesting comment on Kinsey and her cast of friends getting threadbare. I haven't read "Y" yet, but can see what you mean. I have such a soft spot for Kinsey. When I first started listening to audio books while traveling by car solo for work the first few (and out of order) A is for, etc. books kept me company and got me hooked on listening.
I call them comfort reading so consistency is a plus and a curse. She is aging so slowly, and stuck in the past... I wonder how she will go out...

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Yes, Kinsey and I go way back as well ;-) but I think when we reach Z i won't be sad to see her retire.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Carol: No I suppose not, though I hold a soft spot for the old non-technology methods of investigation.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Yes, Kinsey and I go way back as well ;-) but I think when we reach Z i won't be sad to see her retire."

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Carol: It appears that you were lucky to finish Y is for Yesterday before today: 29-Dec-2017.
Such sad news, Sue Grafton has passed away. The news has hit a lot of us hard based on the social media reaction. Her daughter also announced that as far as Sue’s family is concerned the alphabet ends with Y as she had never considered s ghost writer or someone continuing her series in her name.
A big loss to the mystery thriller world.

message 6: by OMalleycat (last edited Dec 29, 2017 06:06PM) (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Such sad news, Sue Grafton has passed away. The news has hit a lot of us hard based on the social media..."

I just read this on my news feed. In a way I find it fitting that Sue Grafton is gone before she got to Z. It was hard to imagine what she could do from there that would hold the same place in my heart as Kinsey.

Like the two of you, Carol and Ann, I go way back with Grafton. As nearly as I can remember, I started with A in about 1987. I was working at my local library and a librarian suggested Grafton and Sara Paretsky for their harder boiled women detectives. CNN has a quote from Paretsky remembering that Kinsey and VI started at the same time and have always been intertwined. That's true for me. In recent years I read Grafton and Paretsky more for the sake of nostalgia and checking in with old friends than for the actual mysteries.

I haven't read Y yet, no longer buy Grafton first day of release. It's odd to think of Kinsey forever stuck back there in the 80's. But like you, Carol, part of my enjoyment of the books was following an investigation that proceeds without benefit of cell phones or computers. It was all so much harder back then. Nowadays it's sometimes comical to watch a writer stretch to concoct a reason for a mc to be cell-less so to be easier to place in dire peril!

In fond memorial: Sue Grafton. Just think of all the years and words we've spent talking about her latest and anticipating her next.

Jan O'Cat

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Hi Jan O'Cat: true words, it is hard to imagine.
... and I like the idea of Kinsey along with Henry and Rosie keeping on without an ending. We can imagine as we wish for the rest.
OMalleycat wrote: "In a way I find it fitting that Sue Grafton is gone before she got to Z. It was hard to imagine what she could do from there that would hold the same place in my heart as Kinsey.

message 8: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments ... and I like the idea of Kinsey along with Henry and Rosie keeping on without an ending. We can imagine as we wish for the rest.

That's a good thought, Ann. It leaves the characters not "stuck" in the past, but continuing on in a kind of alternate universe.

I confess that I approached the recent books with trepidation. I was always afraid that Grafton, in an attempt to throw in a dramatic change, would kill off Henry or Rosie. Now I know that they'll all just go on moseying through the nineties, probably never making the acquaintance of or Twitter or Instagram. :)

Jan O'Cat

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Jan O'Cat: Oh yes, indeed. I was always grateful to find Henry and Rosie happily doing their business when I picked up a new Sue Grafton novel. That continuity and celebration of the active productive lives of older people is and was special.

OMalleycat wrote: ".I confess that I approached the recent books with trepidation. I was always afraid that Grafton, in an attempt to throw in a dramatic change, would kill off Henry or Rosie. Now I know that they'll all just go on moseying through the nineties, probably never making the acquaintance of or Twitter or Instagram. :)"

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Nice to "see" you, Jan. Sorry it was for a sad reason. Don't be a stranger.

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: It appears that you were lucky to finish Y is for Yesterday before today: 29-Dec-2017.
Such sad news, Sue Grafton has passed away. The news has hit a lot of us hard based on the social media..."

Ann, I read this on a news feed somewhere and couldn't believe my eyes. I hadn't heard that she was ill. Lee Child posted a twitter comment about her loss and how she was a truly gracious person. That was my memory as well -- I met her at a book signing at the now defunct Kate's Mystery Books in Cambridge, as she was the sweetest person I could imagine, not at all full of herself. I too think it's fitting the series ends at Y, I was preparing for the series to end at Z anyway. If she left notes for a Z I suppose I wouldn't object to someone taking that on but then that's it.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Ann wrote: "Such sad news, Sue Grafton has passed away. The news has hit a lot of us hard based on the social media..."

I just read this on my news feed. In a way I find it fitting that Sue Grafto..."

Jan, like you I no longer was buying Grafton right after release, but I always went back to them as a comfort read, and managed to keep up. I suppose I'm ready to let go. RIP, Sue Grafton

message 13: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Melodie wrote: "Nice to "see" you, Jan. Sorry it was for a sad reason. Don't be a stranger."

:::::waving madly at Melodie!::::::

Hi, Melodie. Later in 2018 I hope to be less of a stranger. I'm retiring in May. (Shhhh. . . Don't tell anyone. Only my principal knows. I'm hoping to go out with a whimper instead of a bang.) Lots more reading and posting after that, I hope.

I often think of you, Melodie, because I remember when you turned from the hardboiled to cozies. I find myself reading a lot of cozies these days. I just don't have the energy to keep up with complex and heinous plots.

Happy New Year to all my M/T friends!

Jan O'Cat

message 14: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol/Bonadie mentioned " the now defunct Kate's Mystery Books . . ."

Carol, Oh no! Another loss I'm sorry to hear about. I remember how you used to entertain us all with reports of book signings you attended at Kate's.

Jan O'Cat

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Jan O'CountingTheDaysCat!
Wow! Mums the word, and congratulations! How exciting!! Happy Dancing for you in May!!

message 16: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Nice to "see" you, Jan. Sorry it was for a sad reason. Don't be a stranger."

:::::waving madly at Melodie!::::::

Hi, Melodie. Later in 2018 I hope to be less of a stranger. I'm re..."

Retiring?? What is this strange phenomenon of which you speak? ;-) I'm happy for you and we won't tell anyone! Hoping to get the DH retired in 2019. I agree with your assessment of the cozies. I still have my favorite "hardboiled" series I keep up with, but the cozies are much easier on the psyche!

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Carol/Bonadie mentioned " the now defunct Kate's Mystery Books . . ."

Carol, Oh no! Another loss I'm sorry to hear about. I remember how you used to entertain us all with reports of book signings ..."

Yes, quite a few years ago unfortunately. I still feel the loss, as there are in general fewer indepedent book stores around Boston, and probably everywhere.

Let me add my congrats to your upcoming retirement, and my hope it does translate into more cat-presence on this board!