You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Year Long Main 2021 > jaxnsmom's lioness roars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments This is going to be a crazy challenge - and very challenging. You've created another masterpiece, Janice!

message 2: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 27, 2017 08:26PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments The Challenge

The challenge is to read 12 books throughout the year. You must select and read one book from each zodiac sign to complete the challenge. You may select from any of the seven categories, as long as you remember that you need to have each zodiac sign represented. If you wish, you may restrict yourself to one category. For example, you may choose to read all twelve tasks assigned to the superheroes.

General Rules: (please read carefully as there are some changes)

1. You must read 12 different books, one from each zodiac sign. Each book is exclusive to one task. You may not repeat tasks. The same rule applies to optional rounds.

2. You may not combine books with the Monthly Challenge.

3. The challenge is from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018. You must start and complete your books within the year AND within the time that you start the challenge. If you are late starting the challenge, you may not count books prior to your start date. For example, if you start May 1st, you may only count books read between May 1 – Dec 31.

4. Books must be at least 175 pages long. They may be any format (audiobook, ebook, hardcover/paperback). In the case of ebooks & audiobooks, use the hardcover edition to determine page length.. If there is no hardcover edition, use the paperback edition. From the book page, select “all editions”, then select “hardcover”. If no hardcover editions, select “paperback”. If more than one edition, sort by “num ratings” and go with the first listing. If you are still unable to identify, ask for a ruling.

5. Books may be any genre unless specified in a task. In the case of graphic novels or books consisting of a lot of pictures, the text must be equivalent to that of a 175-page book.

6. If a task refers to the title, the subtitle or series title doesn’t count unless specified in a task.

7. If a task refers to the cover, it will be based on the cover of the issue you read.

8. You will need to start your own reporting thread in this folder to track your progress. There will be a thread set up to report your success in completing the challenge and to request your badge.

message 3: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 27, 2017 08:29PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Months:
For each zodiac sign, read a book that is set at least 50% during the specified month, OR the specified month is in the title. Note: Exact words are required.

Aries – March
Taurus - April
Gemini – May
Cancer - June
Leo - July
Virgo - August
Libra - September
Scorpio - October
Sagittarius - November
Capricorn - December
Aquarius - January
Pisces – February

Symbols:
Aries – Ram
- Dodge, a North American vehicle manufacturer, makes a model of truck called “Ram”. Read a book where a truck is on the cover, or the protagonist drives a truck.

Taurus – Bull
- Read a book from this list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1..., OR where “western” is listed on the main book page as a main genre. In your personal thread report, list the page number where the book is found if it was selected from the list.

Gemini – Twins
- Read a book that has more than one title. For example, we recently read The Warded Man/The Painted Man. In your personal thread report, link both titles with the edition you read linked first.

Cancer – Crab
- These are the names of common crab varieties: Coconut, Hermit, Horseshoe, King, Japanese Spider, Dungeness, Rock, Snow, Blue, or Fiddler Crab. Read a book with any of those words (other than “crab”) in the title. I’ll get crabby if you try to sneak “Crab” in. Plurals are accepted.

Leo – Lion
- Read a book that is set entirely in Africa.

Virgo – Maiden
- Read a book where the protagonist is a girl or young woman under the age of 20 and is unmarried.

Libra – Scales
- The scales of justice: Read a legal thriller using this Genre page as a tool https://www.goodreads.com/genres/lega.... Explain how your book fits this genre.

Scorpio – Scorpion
- When I think of scorpions, I think of poison. Read a book that has “Poison” in the title (may be imbedded in other words like poisoner, poisonwood, poisoning), OR contains the name of a poison (arsenic, oleander, etc) in the title, OR has a bottle of poison on the cover. If using a name of a poison, please provide link to definition that it is a poison in your personal thread report.

Sagittarius – Archer
- We grew up on John Wayne and cowboys and Indians shooting bows and arrows. It was a pretty skewed form of tv and movie entertainment. There are a lot of great Native American authors and fiction available today to set things right. Read a book that is written by a Native American author or about Native American culture.

Capricorn – Goat
- Do you ever hear the tale of The Three Billy Goat Gruff? It’s a Norwegian Folk Tale. http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0122e.h.... Read a book that is shelved as Scandinavian Literature using this genre page as a tool: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/scan.... Explain how your book fits this genre.

Aquarius – Water-bearer
- Read a book that has an urn, jug, or other vessel used for holding water on the cover. (Glasses, cups, mugs are accepted).

Pisces – fish
- Time to go fishing! Read a book set near or on a lake or river, OR the words Lake or River are in the title, or is the author’s name. If going for title or author, the words must be exact. Plurals will be accepted.

message 4: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 27, 2017 08:31PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Elements:

Aries – Fire
- Read a book where 70% of the cover is red.

Taurus – Earth
- Read a book where 70% of the cover is black.

Gemini – Air
- Read a book where 70% of the cover is white.

Cancer – Water
- Read a book where 70% of the cover is blue.

Leo – Fire
- Read a book with a significant amount of fire on the cover.

Virgo – Earth
- Read a book with an Earth-like planet on the cover.

Libra – Air
- Read a book with a significant amount of clouds on the cover.

Scorpio – Water
- Read a book with a significant amount of water on the cover.

Sagittarius – Fire
- Read a book with “Fire” in the title. Exact word.

Capricorn – Earth
- Read a book with “Earth” in the title. Exact word.

Aquarius – Air
- Read a book with “Air” in the title. Exact word.

Pisces – Water
- Read a book with “Water” in the title. Exact word.

North American Zodiac:

Aries – Falcon
- Falconry is a sport that was widely practiced throughout the world and throughout the ages. It was believed to have started in Mesopotamia. Read a book set primarily in Iraq, Syria, or Turkey.

Taurus – Beaver
- The beaver is Canada’s national symbol. Read a book where the majority of it is set in Canada, or written by a Canadian author.

Gemini – Deer
- Whenever I think of deer, I remember my trip to Scotland and the beautiful Red Deer there. Read a book where the majority of it is set in Scotland, or written by a Scottish author.

Cancer – Woodpecker
- The greatest diversity of Woodpeckers is found in South America. Read a book set primarily in a South American country, or by a South American author.

Leo – Salmon
- Salmon are native to North America tributaries that run into the Pacific Ocean. Read a book that is set in the Pacific Northwest (Canada or United States).

Virgo – Bear
- The Polar Bear is native to the Arctic Circle. Read a book where the majority of it is set in Russia, or written by a Russian author.

Libra – Raven
- I found an extinct specifies of raven – the New Zealand Raven which was native to both the South and North Island, but has been extinct since the 16th century. Read a book that is set primarily in New Zealand or is written by a New Zealand author.

Scorpio – Snake
- Australia is home to some of the world’s most deadliest snakes. Read a book where the majority of it is set in Australia, or written by an Australian author.

Sagittarius – Owl
- From Wikipedia, “the modern West generally associates owls with wisdom. This link goes back at least as far as Ancient Greece, where Athena, Athens' patron goddess and the goddess of wisdom, had the owl as a symbol”. Read a book where the majority of it is set in Greece or Crete, or written by a Greek author.

Capricorn – Snow Goose
- Snow Geese migrate every year to their winter grounds. I found an interactive map showing sightings of the geese. Concentrated areas appear to be Kansas, New Mexico, Texas, and Mexico. Migrate like the birds and read a book set primarily in one of those areas.

Aquarius – Otter
- The Sea Otter is probably the most widely known otter with their cute antics. The European Otter is less well known and are found, needless to say, in Europe. Unfortunately, the population has been wiped out of Switzerland and the Netherlands years ago. Read a book set primarily in Switzerland or the Netherlands, or by Swiss or Dutch authors.

Pisces – Wolf
- Wolves were extinct from Yellowstone National Park and it was negatively affecting the ecosystem to the area. Wolves from Alberta were successfully relocated to the parks, restoring the balance. It’s really an amazing story. Read a book set primarily in Alberta, Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming.

Stone:

Aries – Opal
- A famous opal called “The Burning of Troy” was owned by the Empress Josephine, first wife of Napoleon I. Read a book set between 1750 and 1850.

Taurus – Jasper
- Jasper is a very healing stone. It is thought to promote healing during illness or hospitalization. Read a book where illness (mental, emotional or physical) is a major theme.

Gemini – Agate
- Agate is an excellent material for cameos as the contrast between the different layers is used to heighten the relief. Read a book with a face in profile on the cover. An actual cameo on the cover will be accepted.

Cancer – Rose Quartz
- Read a book with a rose(s) on the cover, or the cover is 75% pink in colour.

Leo – Carnelian
- Over 4500 years ago, Egyptians were making Carnelian jewelry. Read a book set in Ancient Egypt.

Virgo – Amethyst
- The deep purple colour of amethyst is the colour of royalty. Read a book where the main character is a king, queen, prince, or princess.

Libra – Azurite
- Painters used to add Azurite to their paint for it’s brilliant colour. It is used as a colour base in some paints. Read a book set in the Renaissance period from 1400 – 1700.

Scorpio – Copper
- Copper is a metal, not a stone. Read a book with a metal weapon or tool on the cover.

Sagittarius – Obsidian
- Obsidian is formed when molten lava cools very quickly. The chain of islands that make up Hawaii were formed from undersea volcano eruptions. Read a book set in Hawaii.

Capricorn – Quartz
- Quartz crystals have been used in clock and watch making since the early 1920’s. Read a time-travel book. The words “Time Travel” must be on the main book page as a genre.

Aquarius – Turquoise
- The Navajos believe the blue stones are magical pieces that fall from the sky. Read a book where the main theme is magic.

Pisces – Jade
- How can you talk about Jade without talking about China? Read a book set in China.

message 5: by jaxnsmom (last edited Dec 27, 2017 08:33PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Superheroes:

Aries – Ares
- Ares’ team affiliation is the Olympians. Read a book shelved as mythology, or has the word “God” in the title. Plurals are accepted.

Taurus – Rhino
- Rhino’s alignment is “bad”. Read a book with Villain in the title. Series titles are included for this task.

Gemini – Copycat
- Copycat is a mutant from the X-men. Read a book from the dystopian genre, or set in the future. The word “Dystopian” needs to be listed as a genre on the main book page.

Cancer – Sandman
- I know it’s not the same Sandman, but I was always warned that if I didn’t go to sleep, the Sandman would come. Read a book in the horror genre. The word “Horror” needs to be listed on the main book page.

Leo – Kraven the Hunter
- One of Kraven’s powers is longevity. Read a book where the main character is over 60 years old.

Virgo – Rogue
- One of Rogue’s aliases is Anna Raven. Read a book with bird(s) on the cover OR the word “Raven” is in the title. Plurals are accepted.

Libra – Judge Dredd
- His first appearance was in 2000 AD No.2 (March 5, 1977). Read a book set between 1977 and 2000.

Scorpio – Anti-Venom
- Anti-Venom has no team affiliations. Read a book that is a stand-alone book in the Science Fiction genre. The genre must show on the main book page.

Sagittarius – Hawkeye
- Hawkeye will be in two new movies in 2018 – Avengers: Infinity War, and Ant-Man and the Wasp. Read a new release in 2018, never previously published.

Capricorn – Cannonball
- The cannon was first invented in China as early as the 12th century. For this task, you must pick your battle – land or sea. Read a book about the American Civil War, or about the Napoleonic War.

Aquarius – Aquaman
- Aquaman resides in Atlantis and his role is protector of the sea. Read a book with Atlantis or Poseidon in the title.

Pisces – Siren
- In mythology, sirens lured sailors with their seductive music to shipwreck on their rocky shores. Other similar spirits are, banshee, harpy, kelpie, mermaid, nymph, and rusalka (had to add it in). Read a book with “siren” or one of the alternate names in the title.

Actors by Sign:

For each zodiac sign, select a movie the actor performed in.

Option 1: Read the book the movie was adapted from, or read another book with the same title. The movie doesn’t need to be an adaptation, but there needs to be a book by the same title. The titles need to match with no extraneous words in the book title. Subtitles are to be ignored. *Note - see clarification below.

Option 2: If the book is adapted, you may read another book written by the same author. This applies only to the adaptation.

Note: Selections are restricted to film (no tv or stage titles). If an actor is listed as producer or director for the film, the title will only be accepted if he/she also acted in the movie.

Aries – Tim Curry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Cur...

Taurus – Audrey Hepburn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_...

Gemini – Johnny Depp: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_...

Cancer – Merle Streep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_S...

Leo – Sean Penn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Pe...

Virgo – Anne Meara: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Me...

Libra – Viggo Mortenson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viggo_M...

Scorpio – Jodie Foster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodie_F...

Sagittarius – Ralph Fiennes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_F...

Capricorn – Sissy Spacek: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sissy_S...

Aquarius – John Hurt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

Pisces – Glenn Close: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_C...

message 6: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments res

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47850 comments Good to see you posting, j'mom. I was thinking about you today.

Watch those copied links, because they don't contain the full link and take you to the wrong place.

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Another annual team challenge I'm in has taken over my life. Funnily enough, that group is having two zodiak annual challenges in 2018: Archangels of the Zodiac, and Native American Zodiac. Some different focuses, but maybe I can find books to fit for YLTO and M/M Romance.

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16841 comments Yay Jmom!

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47850 comments Archangels of the Zodiac? Really? Too bad I didn't know about that when I was writing this challenge, or there may have been 8 categories and 96 books. Or maybe that's a good thing I didn't know.

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47850 comments Googled, and I'm crying.

message 12: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I hope those are tears of relief. There's a lot of info to go through for the Archangels - 10 sites were used as references for the challenge. You would have driven yourself mad. Although there is some fascinating info.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47850 comments I can see the potential. There could have been some great tasks assigned to them. Maybe next year.