Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Kandice's Historic Progress

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kandice (last edited Jun 04, 2010 08:13AM) (new)

Kandice So far I've read:

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Shogun by James Clavell
The Gilded Chamber A Novel of Queen Esther by Rebecca Kohn
The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
Pompeii by Robert Harris
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
Ahab's Wife Or, The Star-gazer A Novel by Sena Jeter Naslund
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
North and South by John Jakes
Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan A Novel by Lisa See
(this year):
Doomsday Book
6 Volumes of Path of the Assasin
The Color of Rage
Clan of the Cave Bear (re-read)
The Help
Pirate Latitudes
Push Not the River
The Centurion's Wife
The Thorn Birds (re-read)
The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer (re-read)

I own:
I, Claudius From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius, Born 10 B.C., Murdered & Deified A.D. 54 by Robert Graves
The Autobiography of Henry VIII With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Ragtime A Novel by E.L. Doctorow

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 324 comments The Other Boleyn Girl and The Autobiography of Henry VIII were both really good even though there were quite a few inaccuracies in them. I'd recommend them both!

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I just read Doomed Queen Anne and The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn. I am planning on reading The Autobiography of Henry VIII With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers soon. It's big, though, so will have to wait a few books. The guy was larger than life, that's for sure!

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm audio-ing The Centurion's Wife and plan on reading Pilate's Wife: A Novel of the Roman Empire soon. I own them both, so shouldn't be that hard.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Well, TCW is NOT so good on the page, which is why I tried the audio. THAT sounds great. It's amazing what a good reader can do.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I've actually found that with a lot of books. If they looked really interesting to me, but I couldn't get into the written word, I always at least try the audio before I give up.

message 7: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I audio when I am driving and when I am doing floors (yuck!) because they take so long and it's such a boring, repetitive job. I usually get through about a book (audio) a week. You do have to be careful not get abridged, but having audio-ed so many I have have favorite readers. The reader can make or break the book, for sure.

message 8: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments Who are your favorite readers?

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Campbell Scott is my all time fave, closely followed by John Slattery. They can make a bad book palatable. Seriously!

I also like Stephen Lang and Ron McLarty. I'd have to check, but Stephen may be spelled with a "v".

I had forgotten all about this thread!

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice No. It's "ph".

message 11: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments I would like a small list of the books that you liked read by these people. *demands*

message 12: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments John Slattery did Duma Key right?

message 13: by Felina (new)

Felina | 520 comments Oh yep about Stephen Lang. I listened to the Heart Shaped Box by him and it was awesome.

message 14: by Kandice (last edited May 05, 2010 04:27PM) (new)

Kandice Campbell Scott read :The Abstinence Teacher, Cell, The Shining, Tropic of Cancer, Honeymoon, Brokeback Mountain, and some or all of the stories in Close Range: Wyoming Stories and That Old Ace in the Holethat I've heard. He's read quite a few I'd like to hear, but haven't yet.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice John Slattery has read Duma Key, Exit A: A Novel, and Heart-Shaped Box that I've heard.

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Ron McLarty read Blaze: A Novel and 'Salem's Lot that I've read. He's also read quite a few others I'd like to listen to.

message 17: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Kandace - were you doing the Word Association thread? It's gone and I don't know what happened to it. Do you?

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice That's weird, Maude. I can't find it either. =/

message 19: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Both of the word associations have disappeared! It is very strange and I haven't a clue.

message 20: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I told the mods. I think only they can delete, so maybe they'll know. Maybe someone got "frisky" and they are censoring? ;)

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3723 comments Mod
Tsk! You sould know better than that! ME censor? Never. =\

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Well, you aren't the ONLY Mod! LOL

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

True... but they aren't the censoring type either. If they had deleted it for some crazy reason, they'd have at least said something to me about it! LOL

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Really, I'm just making possible excuses for my ineptitude.:P

message 25: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Kandice wrote: "Really, I'm just making possible excuses for my ineptitude.:P"

What ineptitude?

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice At locating it!

message 27: by Becky, Moddess (new)

*waves magic Mod-Wand* You need one of these. :P

Just kidding. I don't know why it wasn't showing for you guys, but it was still there... hiding.

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Hiding...yeah, that's what it was doing!

*shakes fist at thread*

message 29: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Maybe it was offended at the LACK of dirty words... Ever think of that? The challenge suggestions thread has cabana boys, what does Word Association have? I think it might be lonely...

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Hmmm...

message 31: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments Just got back - where was it!!!!! Thanks Kandice for going to the pro!

message 32: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL No idea what happened Maude. It was right there on the homepage when I looked! Weird. *shrug*

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I haven't kept up with this, but I've read The Constant Princess, and am currently re-reading The Family and for the first time The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers.