The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower question

What are the actual perks of being a wallflower?
AJ Langlois AJ Dec 27, 2017 05:47PM
It seems that being a wallflower is not as good nor bad as society portraits it. I simply wanted to know what were your points of view on the actual title: What are the actual perks of being a wallflower?

I think one of the biggest perks of being a wallflower, is that you get to see how people really are in different moments. You observe and pay attention to things most people wont ever notice because they are apart of a moment. whether they're having a conversation, dancing, doing drugs, fighting, etc. They're focused on whats happening right in-front of them. When you distance yourself from a crowd (at a party, like Charlie) you get to see things, people from a different perspective. A better perspective than being in the actual moment, in my opinion.

The perks of being a wallflower are being able to see one's truest form. A wallflower watches people as they engage with others, make decisions, and their special little quirks without that person realizing someone is paying such close attention to them. It's a different form of understanding a person without them telling you who they are, rather you decide for yourself based on the organic ways in which they behave. Though there are a lot disadvantages to being a wallflower.

Personally, I think the book portrays one of the perks of being a wallflower as the fact that someone like Sam took notice of Charlie. I'd say that was the biggest "perk" of all since it's the source of almost everything good that happens to Charlie throughout the book. Arguably, Sam took notice of Charlie specifically because he was a wallflower (aka not like most other people) and since it made her pay attention she was able to pick up on his sensitivity and good-naturedness.

Well being a wallflower doesn't seem to have any perks, at least according to the book

I'd say he's a wallflower because when he was at the party, he just sort of watched and listened. Charlie wants to participate, but he doesn't really want to at the same time. By being a wallflower, he got to 'participate' in things he wouldn't otherwise, the good and the bad. I guess the most obvious 'perk' was getting his own drink toast, and getting a free milkshake.

Also I feel like he's a wallflower because of what happened to him, not the other way around