Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Book Talk > Reading the (2018) Ockham's

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Dec 27, 2017 04:24PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments I've made a start!

Longlist; Illustrated Non-Fiction

Teenagers: The Rise of Youth Culture in New Zealand
Loved the illustrations, but it did feel like Brickell ran out of steam & effectively finished at about 1965, even though the last chapter mentions the 70s/80s. 4.5★

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Longlist; Poetry

Tightrope

The best of these poems were brilliant, but some of them made me think of fridge magnet poetry. 4★

message 3: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Oh a poetry snob! What's wrong with fridge poetry and poetry slams and ...?
:) :) :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments P.D.R. wrote: "Oh a poetry snob! What's wrong with fridge poetry and poetry slams and ...?
:) :) :)"

I can write fridge poetry.

message 5: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments It's the list ones that get me. But I quite like the Wergle Flump efforts!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Wergle flump?

message 7: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments It's a poetry comp sending up the entries which win in those phony poetry comps where people are told their poem is wonderful, just pay us zillions to have it in this lovely book!!!

You are asked to enter the phony comp with something which is complete nonsense and then you can enter it in the Wurgle Flump to win a prize for being the silliest entry!

message 8: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Mar 16, 2018 01:56AM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments P.D.R. wrote: "It's a poetry comp sending up the entries which win in those phony poetry comps where people are told their poem is wonderful, just pay us zillions to have it in this lovely book!!!

You are asked ..."

Aha! There are a lot of those bogus poetry awards in the awards section on Goodreads. (well, I believe they are bogus)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments & Selina Tusitala Marsh will be on the Sunday programme on...Sunday!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Carol Clouds ꧁꧂ wrote: "& Selina Tusitala Marsh will be on the Sunday programme on...Sunday!"

Marsh came across as a lovely, vibrant woman, but I don't think the programme gave any great insights.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Longlist, Illustrated Non-fiction

Good-bye Maoriland: The Songs and Sounds of New Zealand's Great War
Again, I loved the illustrations & I felt Bourke wrote well. Just a little too much detail on some things - it was like Bourke didn't want to waste any of his research. 4.5★

message 12: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments I am sad. Went to laugh at the Wergle Flump entries and found it's now a serious comp for comic verse. I bet the entries will be good but not half as side splittingly awfully hilarious as the original comp.

message 13: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:40PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments It has taken me a while to get back to this.

Longlist General Non-fiction

A Strange Beautiful Excitement: Katherine Mansfield's Wellington

Although it does have illustrations? Better check that I have the category correct.

Very enjoyable book, although I found the chapter organisation a little odd. Very moving to have the book in hand when we were in Wellington & made a day trip out to the Eastbourne area. 4.5★