Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > Amanda B.’s Mount Blanc Book Belay

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Jan 01, 2019 01:18PM) (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Greetings! It’s nice to join my other fellow Mount Blanc climbers! This is my first year participating in the Mount TBR challenge. My goal for this year is to read 24 books from the list below (and a few others scattered about my house that I haven’t found).

Nonfiction
Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta
Millard Fillmore
The Overachiever's Dilemma
Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs
The Sound of Gravel
TV (The Book)
Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock ‘n’ Roll
Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic
When Breath Becomes Air
Searching for Sundays
It’s Not the Big That Eat the Small, It’s the Fast That Eat the Slow

Fiction
The History of Love
What She Knew
Battleborn
The Silkworm
A Darker Shade of Magic
A Gathering of Shadows
Today Will Be Different
Six Wakes
The Heart Goes Last
Barbara the Slut
Fates and Furies
Gold Fame Citrus
Pachinko
Sense and Sensibility
Of Mice and Men
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Still Life
Traitor’s Blade
Case Histories
Ancillary Justice
Infomocracy
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Let the Great World Spin

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Jan 01, 2019 01:21PM) (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments The Trek So Far:

1. What She Knew | Finished 1/7/18 | Three Stars
This was an emotionally tough read. It is never fun to read about bad things happening to children. However, the mystery kept me guessing, but the book could have been edited down to a quarter of the length.

2. Dispatches from Pluto | Finished 1/24/18 | Four Stars
Richard Grant buys an old plantation house in the Mississippi Delta and learns about how weird and wonderful and awful the Deep South of the United States can be. I grew up in Alabama and went to college in Louisiana. I'm a big fan of the Delta Blues, as is Richard Grant, and this book captured with unflinching honesty this region and all of its problems, eccentricities and delights.

3. Battleborn | Finished 1/26/18 | Four Stars
I'm a sucker for a good short story collection. Battleborn exceeded my expectations. It beautifully and honestly captures the loneliness of trying to connect with others and how our own failings distance us from others. My favorite stories were (in no particular order): The Archivist, The Diggings, and Wish You Were Here.

4. A Darker Shade of Magic | Finished 1/29/18 | Four Stars
This book flew by for me and I didn't want to put it down when I had other things to do and couldn't wait to get back to reading. The world building in only 300 pages was extraordinary and everything about the writing was vibrant and fun.

5. A Gathering of Shadows | Finished 2/2/18 | Four Stars
I wish I had written this mini review sooner! I enjoyed this book immensely with the exception of a few problematic minor plot points.

6. The Overachiever's Dilemma | Finished 3/11/18 | Four Stars
My husband made fun of the title and said I looked like a martyr reading it in public. This was a short book about achieving work-life balance with actual action items you can complete. Despite his joking, we actually did discuss a few of the questions posed by the book.

7. The History of Love | Finished 3/27/18 | Three and a Half Stars, Rounded Up to Four
I really enjoyed the experience of reading this book. Krauss is exceptional at evoking love, loss and loneliness in such a small space. I didn't love the cutesy technique used in the last 25 pages. It felt like it was forcing a profound experience on the reader.

8.The Silkworm | Finished 4/14/18 | Four Stars
I really enjoyed getting to see Robin and Cormoran work together more. I love how dense these books are and how much time we get to spend with the two of them. I enjoy murder mysteries, but I enjoy spending time with the two of them more.

9. Six Wakes | Finished 5/8/18 | Three and a Half Stars, Rounded Down to Three
A locked door mystery set in the future in space. I enjoyed the world building and the ethics of cloning a lot more than the mystery itself. I'd like to read a prequel to this book that gets in to the politics of cloning.

10. Today Will be Different | Finished 6/28/18 | Two Stars
I was disappointed in this follow-up to Maria Semple's Where'd You Go Bernadette. The plot felt slapdash and Eleanor didn't actually seem like a real person.

11. Millard Fillmore: Biography of a President | Finished 7/7/18 | Three Stars
Four star biography, five star history of the Whig party in America, zero stars for its casual racism, moral relativity as concerns slavery and its whole-hearted embracing of American imperialism. Written in the '50s – not an excuse, but provides some context. A reminder that we need to continue doing better as we talk about our history.

12. Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs | Finished 10/7/18 | Four Stars
Heather Lende is probably my favorite memoirist, with insights on life, death, faith and living our lives with integrity each day.

13. The Sound of Gravel | Finished 12/23/18 | Three Stars
Fascinating memoir about growing up in a polygamist Mormon cult. Unfortunately, there was very little reflection on how the first 15 years of her life shaped her now.

14. TV (THE BOOK): Two Experts Pick the Greatest American Shows of All Time | Finished 1/1/19 | Four Stars
An opinionated, funny and comprehensive look at the pantheon of great television shows. I read the majority of this in 2018 and finished 1/1/19, so I'm counting this toward 2018's goal.

message 3: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 42 comments Good luck with your trek. I am reading The Lies of Locke Lamora right now and it is soo good. I hope you get to it in 2018.

message 4: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Good luck with your climb! I have some of the books on your list on my TBR as well, and I'll hopefully tackle them this next year as well.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Good luck with the climb :D

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Hailee wrote: "Good luck with your trek. I am reading The Lies of Locke Lamora right now and it is soo good. I hope you get to it in 2018."

That's exciting to hear! I bought it on a whim through a Goodreads Deals email. The reviews looked promising.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Natália wrote: "Good luck with your climb! I have some of the books on your list on my TBR as well, and I'll hopefully tackle them this next year as well."

Thanks! If you want to buddy read a few of these let me know!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Hilary S wrote: "Good luck with the climb :D"

Thanks!

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Will (inver) | 31 comments Good luck on your challenge

message 10: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) | 18 comments Good luck!
When Breath Becomes Air was one of my favourite books of last year and Of Mice and Men is one of my favourite ever. Case Histories was also a great mystery - hope you enjoy them!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Diane wrote: "Good luck on your challenge"

Thanks!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Martha wrote: "Good luck!
When Breath Becomes Air was one of my favourite books of last year and Of Mice and Men is one of my favourite ever. Case Histories was also a great mystery - hope you enjoy them!"

Thanks! I've owned When Breath Becomes Air for years, but haven't been able to bring myself to read it.

message 13: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Amanda wrote: "Natália wrote: "Good luck with your climb! I have some of the books on your list on my TBR as well, and I'll hopefully tackle them this next year as well."

Thanks! If you want to buddy read a few ..."
I have The Lies of Locke Lamora, A Darker Shade of Magic, a Gathering of Shadows and The Silkworm all on my TBR, I would love to buddy read any of them!

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Natália wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Natália wrote: "Good luck with your climb! I have some of the books on your list on my TBR as well, and I'll hopefully tackle them this next year as well."

Thanks! If you want to bu..."

That's great! Do you want to start with A Darker Shade of Magic? I'll friend you on Goodreads so we can message each other.

message 15: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Yees! I've been meaning to read it for a while since I first read a Victoria Schwab book! It will be the perfect choice to start 😊

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Natália wrote: "Yees! I've been meaning to read it for a while since I first read a Victoria Schwab book! It will be the perfect choice to start 😊"

Great! I'm excited to get started!

message 17: by Amanda (last edited Mar 21, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments January Books Finished:
What She Knew
Dispatches From Pluto
Battleborn
A Darker Shade of Magic

Mini reviews posted above.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments February Books Finished:
A Gathering of Shadows

message 19: by Amanda (last edited Apr 06, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments March Books Finished:
The Overachiever's Dilemma
The History of Love

message 20: by Alisia (new)

Alisia (4thhouseontheleft) | 16 comments Amanda wrote: "February Books Finished:
A Gathering of Shadows"

Do you plan on reading A Conjuring of Light? It was a fantastic read, I think she ended the trilogy on a strong note.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Alisia wrote: "Amanda wrote: "February Books Finished:
A Gathering of Shadows"

Do you plan on reading A Conjuring of Light?"

I already read it! I ended up spending most of February reading it because I wanted it to last as long as it could. I didn't add it here because I didn't own it before January 1, 2018. I ended up buying it after I finished the second book.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments April and May Books
Grad school is kicking my butt this summer. But I'll be finished with the summer semester at the end of June and will start knocking some books off my TBR list as soon as that is over. :)

The Silkworm
Six Wakes

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (abosarge) | 20 comments Definitely not going to make it this year. I'm going to try to squeeze one or two more in before the end of the year but I did not make this enough of a priority (based on the 80+ books I did read this year).

message 24: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) At least you cleared a few off the pile! Good job!