2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > ★ Kiwi’s 2018 book pile ★

Comments Showing 1-50 of 321 (321 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 30, 2018 12:30PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Welcome to my reading corner, this is the place I’ll keep my 2018 reads organised.

Here I’ll keep the list of all the challenges I’ll take part this year. As usual, I will post books as I read them, with my rating and sometimes my thoughts and favourite quotes; you’re welcome to comment too if you like.

Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!

The complete list

Personal Challenges:
Bottom of the pile - Completed 14 Aug
TBR slimming - Completed 27 Jun (Ongoing)
Dusty Shelves - Completed 23 Jul
Big and Small - Completed 16 Jul
Who's who - Completed 4 Jul
Tower of 8 - Completed 8 Aug

Group Challenges:
Popsugar - Completed 28 Mar
TBR Jar - Completed 14 Aug
My Bingo - Completed 19 Mar
Non Fiction - Completed 7 May (Ongoing)

Monthly:
✔ September - Operation - Completed 21 Sep
✔ October - Trick or Treat - Completed 30 Oct
✔ December - Letters to Santa - Completed 24 Dec
✔ December - 12 Days of Christmas - Completed 31 Dec

Year round:
Monthly Keyword - till Dec
Bookopoly 2018 - till Dec

message 2: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 16, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments My overall 2018 reading goals:

✔ 180+ books - reached 8 Oct
✔ 54,000+ pages (averaging 300 pages per book) - reached 24 Sept
✔ 5% or fewer abandoned books
✔ 10-20% Non-Fiction
✔ Be as varied as possible with my choice of genres

message 3: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 22, 2018 05:04PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Personal Challenges

✔ Bottom of the pile - Completed 14 August
Order TBR by date added and select books shown on first page.
Read 8+ “bottom of the pile” books.

Progress: 8/8
(view spoiler)

TBR slimming - Ongoing
An old personal challenge of mine, how many books can I knock off this year?
✔ Read 80+ old TBR books (pre 2018) Completed 27 June

Progress: 144/80

The Happiness Trap Based on ACT - A Revolutionary Mindfulness-Based Programme for Overcoming Stress, Anxiety and Depression by Russ HarrisRainwater by Sandra BrownParnassus on Wheels by Christopher MorleyOne Corpse Too Many (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #2) by Ellis PetersAnd Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik BackmanHalf Broke Horses by Jeannette WallsOathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3) by Brandon SandersonKillers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David GrannWhite Nights (Shetland Island, #2) by Ann CleevesMinority Report by Philip K. DickThe Harp in the South by Ruth ParkThe Going and the Rise by F.G. CottamThe Caine Mutiny by Herman WoukThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasSweetgirl by Travis MulhauserThis House of Grief by Helen GarnerThe Ice Dragon by George R.R. MartinCall the Midwife (The Midwife Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer WorthDear Committee Members by Julie SchumacherCatch Me If You Can by Frank W. AbagnaleLionheart (Plantagenets #4) by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Heart's Invisible Furies by John BoyneCover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh #1) by P.D. JamesManna by Marshall BrainThe Pursuit of Italy by David GilmourRed Country (First Law World, #6) by Joe AbercrombieBallad of the Whiskey Robber A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts by Julian RubinsteinMiss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael WestAsking for It The Alarming Rise of Rape Culture and What We Can Do about It by Kate HardingI Am Not Your Negro by James BaldwinA Gentleman in Moscow by Amor TowlesThe Winter King A Novel of Arthur (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) by Bernard CornwellEcho Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #16) by Michael ConnellyThe Housekeeper and the Professor by Yōko OgawaThe Best of Joe R. Lansdale by Joe R. LansdaleEats, Shoots & Leaves The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne TrussThe Ninth Hour by Alice McDermottNobody's Fool by Richard RussoA Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. GainesThick as Thieves (The Queen's Thief, #5) by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Streets of Paris A Guide to the City of Light Following in the Footsteps of Famous Parisians Throughout History by Susan CahillThe Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William KamkwambaThe Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette KowalThe Greatest Knight (William Marshal, #2) by Elizabeth ChadwickThe Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert GalbraithLa casa in collina by Cesare PaveseA Kestrel for a Knave by Barry HinesWhere the Heart Is by Billie LettsSuldrun's Garden (Lyonesse #1) by Jack VanceSlow Horses (Slough House, #1) by Mick HerronPines (Wayward Pines, #1) by Blake CrouchAll Over But the Shoutin' by Rick BraggPax by Sara PennypackerResistance A French Woman's Journal of the War by Agnès HumbertThe Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5) by Tana FrenchHamlet, Prince of Denmark by A.J. HartleyAt My Table A Celebration of Home Cooking by Nigella LawsonThree Men in a Boat To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. JeromeGenghis Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1) by Conn IgguldenEthan Frome by Edith WhartonMinding Frankie by Maeve BinchyAcross the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian HearnArtificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha WellsA Thousand Acres by Jane SmileyThe Captain's Daughter by Alexander PushkinThe Judas Child by Carol O'ConnellThe Good People by Hannah KentTell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka BruntMockingbird by Kathryn ErskineThey Shoot Horses, Don’t They? by Horace McCoyHimself by Jess KiddMomo by Émile AjarSaints for All Occasions by J. Courtney SullivanThe Age of Gold The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream by H.W. BrandsThe Chrysalids by John WyndhamThe Johnstown Flood by David McCulloughWe Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. TaylorA Pocket Full of Shells (An Irish Family Saga Book 1) by Jean ReinhardtA Night to Remember by Walter LordThe Namesake by Jhumpa LahiriDie Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) by Lee ChildBe Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne JohnsonNicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. MassieAn Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2) by Patrick TaylorWe Are Water by Wally LambThe Ordinary Princess by M.M. KayeThe Sentient Machine The Coming Age of Artificial Intelligence by Amir HusainBrat Farrar by Josephine TeyNo Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye, #1) by Linwood BarclayThe Sound of Gravel A Memoir by Ruth WarinerThe Blue Sword (Damar, #1) by Robin McKinleyThe Terror by Dan SimmonsIn Distant Lands A Short History of the Crusades by Lars BrownworthThe Bitter Season (Kovac and Liska, #5) by Tami HoagUnraveling Oliver by Liz NugentBeing Mortal Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul GawandeThe Secret River by Kate GrenvilleThe Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. JemisinA Farewell to Arms by Ernest HemingwaySpoonbenders by Daryl Gregory

100 Books!

Duplicity by Sibel HodgeAllegedly by Tiffany D. JacksonThe Chemistry of Joy A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom by Henry EmmonsCoffin Road by Peter MayUnder the Hawthorn Tree (Children of the Famine, #1) by Marita Conlon-McKennaReading with Patrick A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship by Michelle KuoEdgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5) by Brandon SandersonGirl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierCloudstreet by Tim WintonHow to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale CarnegieIncidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. Written by Herself by Harriet Ann JacobsThe Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan EngThe Chisellers (Agnes Browne, #2) by Brendan O'CarrollThe End of the Affair by Graham GreeneThe Word Is Murder by Anthony HorowitzAncient Celts by Kathryn HindsGhost Empire by Richard FidlerRage A Step-by-Step Guide to Overcoming Explosive Anger by Ronald T. Potter-EfronDeep Thinking Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins by Garry KasparovOvercoming Bias Building Authentic Relationships Across Differences by Tiffany JanaSleeping in the Ground (Inspector Banks, #24) by Peter RobinsonThe Secret History of the Mongol Queens How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire by Jack WeatherfordGhost Story by Peter StraubA Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) by Christopher MooreIgraine the Brave by Cornelia FunkeA Great Reckoning (Chief Inspector Gamache Book 12) by Louise PennyDon't Look Now by Daphne du MaurierJulie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) by Jean Craighead GeorgeFun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison BechdelFin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1) by James L. NelsonDodgers by Bill BeverlyThe Thicket by Joe R. LansdaleOn the Road with Francis of Assisi A Timeless Journey Through Umbria and Tuscany, and Beyond by Linda Bird FranckeA Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson SextonA Boy Called Christmas (Christmas Series, #1) by Matt HaigThe Runaway Settlers by Elsie LockeStop Overreacting Effective Strategies for Calming Your Emotions by Judith P. SiegelPoachers by Tom FranklinHercule Poirot's Christmas (Hercule Poirot, #20) by Agatha ChristieKissing The Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15) by Ruth RendellThe Christmas Pearl by Dorothea Benton FrankThe Road Less Travelled by M. Scott PeckThe Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11) by Dorothy L. SayersHome Made Christmas by Yvette van Boven

message 4: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 19, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Clear the dusty shelves - Completed 23 July
Read physical books that I have owned for longer than five years.
Select from my waiting-on-the-shelf folder.

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 15, 2018 12:01AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Big and small - Completed 16 Jul
Another favourite of mine, balancing the heavy reads with lighter ones.
Order TBR by page numbers (longest and shortest) and select books shown on the first page.

Progress 12/12
(view spoiler)

message 6: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 15, 2018 12:03AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Who’s who - Completed 4 Jul
Read 8 biographies or memoirs.
I may choose fiction or non fiction for this challenge.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 19, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Tower of 8 - Completed 8 Aug
This is a new personal challenge for me. Read books and pile them according to their category so that the tower won’t topple over.

✔ 8 books in a series you’ve started or an author you’ve already read
✔ 7 books that at least 2 of your GR friends have rated 5 stars
✔ 6 books originally written in a different language
✔ 5 books published in 2018
✔ 4 book club or group read books
✔ 3 debut books
✔ 2 books that intimidate you
✔ 1 re-read

Progress: 36/36

Before Your Teenagers Drive You Crazy, Read This! Battlefield Wisdom for Stressed-Out Parents by Nigel Latta
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri The Terror by Dan Simmons
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt Himself by Jess Kidd Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson
The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5) by Tana French Circe by Madeline Miller An American Marriage by Tayari Jones Mythos The Greek Myths Retold by Stephen Fry
Educated by Tara Westover The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin Sleeper 13 (Sleeper 13, #1) by Rob Sinclair Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Letters to My Palestinian Neighbor by Yossi Klein Halevi
The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yōko Ogawa La casa in collina by Cesare Pavese The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Captain's Daughter by Alexander Pushkin Le otto montagne by Paolo Cognetti
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Sweetgirl by Travis Mulhauser Animal Farm by George Orwell A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles The Ninth Hour A Novel by Alice McDermott Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
One Corpse Too Many (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #2) by Ellis Peters Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell White Nights (Shetland Island, #2) by Ann Cleeves Minority Report by Philip K. Dick The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh #1) by P.D. James The Land of the Silver Apples (Sea of Trolls, #2) by Nancy Farmer The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith

message 8: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Apr 29, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Group Challenges

✔ 2018 Popsugar Ultimate Reading Challenge - Completed 28 March

A repeat of a popular group challenge.

Link

Progress: 50/50
(view spoiler)

message 9: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Aug 19, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

message 10: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Apr 29, 2018 01:58PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Kiwi's Genre Bingo - Completed 19 Mar

I’ve made my own bingo card, 25 in all.

Link

Progress: 25/25
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 27, 2018 12:03PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ 2018 Non Fiction Challenge - Completed 7 May
Self-explanatory.
Since my target is to have 10-20% of my reading as non-fiction, so I’ll start with 18 books.

Link

Progress: 67/18
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 22, 2018 05:06PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ 2018 Monthly keyword - Completed 4 December

This is my first time attempting this challenge, it’s a kind of scavenger hunt, should be fun …

Link

description

Progress: 34/12+

January
1. White Nights (White)
2. The Ice Dragon (Ice)
3. Catch Me If You Can (If)
February
4. Lionheart (Heart)
5. The Heart's Invisible Furies (Heart)
6. The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, Its Regions, and Their Peoples (And)
7. Ballad of the Whiskey Robber: A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts (Heart + And)
8. Miss Lonelyhearts (Heart)
March
9. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope (Hope)
10. The Greatest Knight (Great)
April
11. All Over But the Shoutin' (All)
May
12. Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Dog)
13. Le otto montagne (Mountain)
June
14. Mockingbird (Bird)
15. The Johnstown Flood (Town)
16. Sometimes I Lie (Some)
July
17. We Are Water (Water)
18. The Blue Sword (Blue)
August
19. The House of Broken Angels (House)
20. Call the Midwife: Shadows of the Workhouse (House)
21. The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row (Sun)
September
22. Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship (Teach)
23. Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams (Sleep)
October
24. Ghost Empire (Ghost)
25. The Canterville Ghost (Ghost)
26. The Last Days of Night (Night)
27. The Scent of the Night (Night)
November
28. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (Family)
29. Lessico famigliare (Family)
December
30. A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas)
31. Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Christmas)
32. Kissing The Gunner's Daughter (Sing)
33. The Christmas Pearl (Christmas)
34. Home Made Christmas

message 13: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 19, 2018 04:22PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Bookopoly 2018
22 July - end of year

Link

Progress: Round four, # books read: 37
(view spoiler)

The Sound of Gravel A Memoir by Ruth Wariner The Broken Girls by Simone St. James In Distant Lands A Short History of the Crusades by Lars Brownworth Being Mortal Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande The Secret River by Kate Grenville A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway The Sun Does Shine How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row by Anthony Ray Hinton Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson 24 Hours in Ancient Rome A Day in the Life of the People Who Lived There by Philip Matyszak Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5) by Brandon Sanderson There There by Tommy Orange Cloudstreet by Tim Winton The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng The End of the Affair by Graham Greene The Lost City of the Monkey God A True Story by Douglas Preston Precious Bane by Mary Webb The Last Question by Isaac Asimov The Manchurian Candidate by Richard Condon The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde Journey by James A. Michener The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore Sleeping in the Ground (Inspector Banks, #24) by Peter Robinson Ghost Story by Peter Straub Sadie by Courtney Summers A Great Reckoning (Chief Inspector Gamache Book 12) by Louise Penny Little Fires Everywhere The New York Times Top Ten Bestseller by Celeste Ng Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) by Jean Craighead George Robicheaux (Dave Robicheaux #21) by James Lee Burke The Scarlet Plague by Jack London The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale Lessico famigliare by Natalia Ginzburg A Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton Button Man by Andrew Gross The Salt Path by Raynor Winn Kissing The Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15) by Ruth Rendell

message 14: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Sep 20, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Operation - Completed 21 September
September 1, 2018 - September 30, 2018

Link

Tasks completed: 12, Level reached: Head of Medicine

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Oct 29, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Trick or Treat - Completed 30 October
October 1, 2018 - October 31, 2018

👻🎃👻🎃👻🎃👻
Link

9/12 Candies

🍬List 🍬
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 30, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments ✔ Letters to Santa
December 1, 2018 January 11, 2019

Kiwi Begs2Differ ✎ Writes to Santa

2 letters Completed - 24 Dec

4 book letter

Dear Santa Claus,

How have you been this year? I know you must be very busy during this holiday season. I hope your reindeer are ready to _RUN_ (VERB) around the world.

I have been very _ODD_ (ADJECTIVE) this year. My wish this year is for a(n) _HORSE_ (ANIMAL) that will protect me from Christmas burglars and take me to work because let’s face it, gas is too expensive.

The only thing I don’t want for Christmas is a _BOY_ (NOUN). Thanks for helping make this the best holiday ever.

My books:
(view spoiler)

12 books letter

Dear Santa Claus,

How have you been this year? I know you must be very busy during this holiday season. I hope your reindeer are ready to _TRAVEL_ (VERB) around the world. Please tell them there will be fresh _SALT_ (NOUN) waiting for them and of course there will be _COFFEE_ (FOOD or BEVERAGE) for you at my house. However, this year please try to be quiet when you deliver my presents because it is very important that I get a full _NINE_(NUMBER) hours of sleep.

I have been very _CONFIDENTIAL_ (ADJECTIVE) this year. My first wish is for a(n) _ALLIGATOR_ (ANIMAL) that will protect me from Christmas burglars and take me to work because let’s face it, gas is too expensive. I also love _BUTTONS_ (PLURAL NOUN). These are the best inventions in the world! I would also like _HERCULE POIROT_(MAIN CHARACTER NAME) to show up at my door on Christmas morning and cook me breakfast.

Finally, I think that you should bring _PEARLS_ (PLURAL NOUN) to the world. I understand these things are hard to come by, but I have faith in you! If all of these things are too hard to get please make things easier on you and simply send _SPOONS_ (PLURAL NOUN). The only thing I don’t want for Christmas is a _XMAS PUDDING_ (NOUN). Thanks for helping make this the best holiday ever.

Hugs and _KISSES_ (PLURAL NOUN)!

My books:
(view spoiler)

✔ 12 Days of Christmas - Completed 31 Dec
December 1, 2018 December 31

description

super simple, there will be 12 tasks associated with the 12 days of Christmas....

12 Days of Christmas

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments reserved

message 18: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Feb 28, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Month summaries

January summary

(view spoiler)

The Happiness Trap Stop Struggling, Start Living by Russ Harris Rainwater by Sandra Brown Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley One Corpse Too Many (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #2) by Ellis Peters And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3) by Brandon Sanderson Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Killers of the Flower Moon The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann White Nights (Shetland Island, #2) by Ann Cleeves Minority Report by Philip K. Dick The Harp in the South by Ruth Park The Going and the Rise by F.G. Cottam The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Sweetgirl by Travis Mulhauser This House of Grief by Helen Garner The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin Call the Midwife (The Midwife Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer Worth How to Care for Aging Parents, 3rd Edition A One-Stop Resource for All Your Medical, Financial, Housing, and Emotional Issues by Virginia B. Morris Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale

# Books read: 22
# Pages read: 7,929
# books read from last year TBR: 20
Average Rating: 3.18
Non Fiction Ratio: 27.27%
Best book of the month: Call the midwife (NF) / Half Broke Horses (F)

February summary
(view spoiler)

Lionheart (Plantagenets #4) by Sharon Kay Penman The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne Neuromancer by William Gibson Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh #1) by P.D. James Animal Farm by George Orwell Manna by Marshall Brain The Pursuit of Italy by David Gilmour Red Country (First Law World, #6) by Joe Abercrombie Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1) by P.L. Travers Ballad of the Whiskey Robber A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts by Julian Rubinstein Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West Asking for It The Alarming Rise of Rape Culture and What We Can Do about It by Kate Harding The Land of the Silver Apples (Sea of Trolls, #2) by Nancy Farmer Replay by Ken Grimwood I Am Not Your Negro by James Baldwin A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy

# Books read: 18
# Pages read: 5,708
# books read from last year TBR: 11
Average Rating: 3.06 stars
Non Fiction Ratio: 22.22%
Best book of the month: Asking for it (NF) / Red country (F)

message 19: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited May 02, 2018 12:46PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments March Summary

(view spoiler)
The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) by Bernard Cornwell Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #15) by Michael Connelly The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yōko Ogawa The Best of Joe R. Lansdale by Joe R. Lansdale Eats, Shoots & Leaves The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation by Lynne Truss The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines Educated by Tara Westover Thick as Thieves (The Queen's Thief, #5) by Megan Whalen Turner The Streets of Paris A Guide to the City of Light Following in the Footsteps of Famous Parisians Throughout History by Susan Cahill The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba Jar City (Inspector Erlendur, #3) by Arnaldur Indriðason The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal The Greatest Knight (William Marshal, #2) by Elizabeth Chadwick The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith La casa in collina by Cesare Pavese A Kestrel for a Knave by Barry Hines Lost in Translation An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words by Ella Frances Sanders The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts Suldrun's Garden (Lyonesse #1) by Jack Vance

# Books read: 22 (1 DNF)
# Pages read: 6,906
# books read from last year TBR: 18
Average Rating: 2.91
Non Fiction Ratio: 22.73 %
Best book of the month: Educated (NF) / A kestrel for a knave (F)

April Summary
(view spoiler)
Slow Horses (Slough House, #1) by Mick Herron Wilderness by Lance Weller Pines (Wayward Pines, #1) by Blake Crouch All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg Pax by Sara Pennypacker

# Books read: 5
# Pages read: 1,597
# books read from last year TBR: 4
Average Rating: 3.00
Non Fiction Ratio: 20.00%
Best book of the month: all over but the shoutin’ (NF)

message 20: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jul 01, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments May Summary
(view spoiler)

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin Resistance A French Woman's Journal of the War by Agnès Humbert The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5) by Tana French Hamlet, Prince of Denmark by A.J. Hartley Reading People How Seeing the World through the Lens of Personality Changes Everything by Anne Bogel At My Table A Celebration of Home Cooking by Nigella Lawson Three Men in a Boat To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome Genghis Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1) by Conn Iggulden Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy Across the Nightingale Floor (Tales of the Otori, #1) by Lian Hearn The Aztecs A Very Short Introduction by Davíd Carrasco Sleeper 13 (Sleeper 13, #1) by Rob Sinclair Circe by Madeline Miller Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley The Captain's Daughter by Alexander Pushkin Judas Child by Carol O'Connell Le otto montagne by Paolo Cognetti The Good People by Hannah Kent

# Books read: 21
# Pages read: 6,953
# books read from last year TBR: 14
Average Rating: 3.14
Non Fiction Ratio: 19.05%
Best book of the month: Genghis + Le otto montagne (both F)
Challenges completed:
• Non-fiction challenge 18/18– Completed 7 May

June Summary
(view spoiler)

Letters to My Palestinian Neighbor by Yossi Klein Halevi Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? by Horace McCoy Himself by Jess Kidd Momo by Émile Ajar Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan The Age of Gold The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream by H.W. Brands The Temptation to Be Happy by Lorenzo Marone The Chrysalids by John Wyndham The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3) by Ann Cleeves An American Marriage by Tayari Jones We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor A Pocket Full of Shells (An Irish Family Saga Book 1) by Jean Reinhardt A Night to Remember by Walter Lord The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) by Lee Child

# Books read: 19
# Pages read: 5,916
# books read from last year TBR: 14
Average Rating: 3.16 stars
Non Fiction Ratio: 21.05%
Best book of the month: A night to remember (NF) / An American marriage (F)
Milestone reached: 1500 read books (on 1st June)
Challenges completed:
• TBR slimming 80/80 – Completed 27 June

message 21: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Sep 02, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments July summary
(view spoiler)

The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie Us Against You (Beartown, #2) by Fredrik Backman Mythos The Greek Myths Retold by Stephen Fry An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2) by Patrick Taylor Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman Sometimes Amazing Things Happen Heartbreak and Hope on the Bellevue Hospital Psychiatric Prison Ward by Elizabeth Ford We Are Water by Wally Lamb The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye The Sentient Machine The Coming Age of Artificial Intelligence by Amir Husain Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye, #1) by Linwood Barclay The Sound of Gravel A Memoir by Ruth Wariner The Terror by Dan Simmons The Blue Sword (Damar, #1) by Robin McKinley The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

# Books read: 18
# Pages read: 7,013
Average Rating: 3.06
Non Fiction Ratio: 22.22%
Best book of the month: The sound of gravel (NF) / Mythos (F)
Challenges completed (3):
• Who’s who 8/8 – completed 4 Jul
• Big and small 12/12 – completed 16 Jul
• Dusty Shelves 8/8 – completed 23 Jul

August Summary
(view spoiler)

Head On (Lock In, #2) by John Scalzi Gods of Howl Mountain by Taylor Brown The House of Broken Angels by Luis Alberto Urrea The Last Ballad by Wiley Cash Before Your Teenagers Drive You Crazy, Read This! Battlefield Wisdom for Stressed-Out Parents by Nigel Latta In Distant Lands A Short History of the Crusades by Lars Brownworth Sleep No More Six Murderous Tales by P.D. James The Bitter Season (Kovac and Liska, #5) by Tami Hoag Unraveling Oliver by Liz Nugent Being Mortal Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande Memento Mori (Medicus Investigation #8) by Ruth Downie The Secret River by Kate Grenville The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin Call the Midwife Shadows of the Workhouse by Jennifer Worth A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway The Sun Does Shine How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row by Anthony Ray Hinton Duplicity by Sibel Hodge Calypso by David Sedaris Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson The Silver Pigs (Marcus Didius Falco, #1) by Lindsey Davis The Chemistry of Joy A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom by Henry Emmons Tin Man by Sarah Winman

# Books read: 23 (1 DNF)
# Pages read: 7,349
Average Rating: 3.17 stars
Non Fiction Ratio: 30.43%
Best book of the month: Being Mortal (NF) / Tin Man (F)
Challenges completed (3):
• Tower of 8 36/36 – completed 8 Aug
• TBR bottom of the pile 8/8 – completed 14 August
• TBR Jar – 36/36 completed 14 August

message 22: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Oct 31, 2018 01:01PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments September summary
(view spoiler)

An Unsuitable Job for a Woman (Cordelia Gray, #1) by P.D. James Coffin Road by Peter May 24 Hours in Ancient Rome A Day in the Life of the People Who Lived There by Philip Matyszak Under the Hawthorn Tree (Children of the Famine, #1) by Marita Conlon-McKenna Reading with Patrick A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship by Michelle Kuo Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5) by Brandon Sanderson Why We Sleep The New Science of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne There There by Tommy Orange Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier Cloudstreet by Tim Winton How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. Written by Herself by Harriet Ann Jacobs Essential Volume Two Sweet Treats for Every Occasion by Annabel Langbein The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng The Chisellers (Agnes Browne, #2) by Brendan O'Carroll The End of the Affair by Graham Greene Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting by Lynn Bagnall The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti The Lost City of the Monkey God A True Story by Douglas Preston The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

# Pages read: 6,431
Average Rating: 3.33 stars
Non Fiction Ratio: 38.10%
Best book of the month: 24 Hours in ancient Rome (NF) / There there (F)
Challenges completed:
• Operation 12/12 – completed 21 Sept

October Summary
(view spoiler)

The Word Is Murder by Anthony Horowitz Ancient Celts by Kathryn Hinds This Is Going to Hurt Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay Precious Bane by Mary Webb Stargirl (Stargirl, #1) by Jerry Spinelli The Last Question by Isaac Asimov Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1) by Fritz Leiber My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) by Jean Craighead George The Manchurian Candidate by Richard Condon Ghost Empire by Richard Fidler Rage A Step-by-Step Guide to Overcoming Explosive Anger by Ronald T. Potter-Efron The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde Journey by James A. Michener Deep Thinking Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins by Garry Kasparov The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make A Guide for Teens by Sean Covey Secret Language of Cats The Body Language of Feline Bodies by Heather Dunphy The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore Notes from a Public Typewriter by Michael Gustafson The Scent of the Night by Andrea Camilleri Overcoming Bias Building Authentic Relationships Across Differences by Tiffany Jana Sleeping in the Ground (Inspector Banks, #24) by Peter Robinson The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain The Secret History of the Mongol Queens How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire by Jack Weatherford Ghost Story by Peter Straub A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) by Christopher Moore I'd Rather Be Reading The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel Sadie by Courtney Summers Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke

# Books read: 28
# Pages read: 7,639
# books read from last year TBR: 10
Average Rating: 3.07 stars
Non Fiction Ratio: 39.29%
Best book of the month: The ghost empire (NF) / The word is murder (F)
Challenge completed:
• Trick or Treat 9/12 – completed 30 Oct

message 23: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 30, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments November Summary
(view spoiler)

A Great Reckoning (Chief Inspector Gamache Book 12) by Louise Penny The Good Immigrant by Nikesh Shukla The Craftsman by Sharon J. Bolton Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson Little Fires Everywhere The New York Times Top Ten Bestseller by Celeste Ng Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) by Jean Craighead George Cristo si è fermato a Eboli by Carlo Levi 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari Robicheaux (Dave Robicheaux #21) by James Lee Burke Resilient How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness by Rick Hanson Fin Gall (The Norsemen Saga, #1) by James L. Nelson The Scarlet Plague by Jack London Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel Dodgers by Bill Beverly The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale On the Road with Francis of Assisi A Timeless Journey Through Umbria and Tuscany, and Beyond by Linda Bird Francke Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier Lessico famigliare by Natalia Ginzburg The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1) by Kate Ellis A Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton

# Pages read: 6,381
Average Rating: 2.81 stars
Non Fiction Ratio: 23.81%
Best book of the month: The thicket

December Summary
(view spoiler)

The Birth of Europe by Jacques Le Goff Button Man by Andrew Gross The Odd Woman and the City A Memoir by Vivian Gornick A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas Series, #1) by Matt Haig The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain The Runaway Settlers by Elsie Locke The Salt Path by Raynor Winn Stop Overreacting Effective Strategies for Calming Your Emotions by Judith P. Siegel Poachers by Tom Franklin Revelation (Matthew Shardlake, #4) by C.J. Sansom Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Hercule Poirot, #20) by Agatha Christie Kissing The Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15) by Ruth Rendell The Christmas Pearl by Dorothea Benton Frank The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11) by Dorothy L. Sayers The Wonder by Emma Donoghue Home Made Christmas by Yvette van Boven Cat Confidential The Book Your Cat Would Want You to Read by Vicky Halls The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Hercule Poirot, #35) by Agatha Christie The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

# Books read: 23
# Pages read: 7,098
Average Rating: 2.96
Non Fiction Ratio: 30.43%
Best book of the month: The hiding place (NF) / Revelations (F)
Challenges completed (4):
• 12 days of Christmas 12/12 – Finished 31/12
• Letters to Santa – Completed 2 Letters
• Monthly keyword – Completed 4 Dec
• Bookopoly – Finished 16 Dec

message 24: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Dec 30, 2018 06:15PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments End of year summary

As I looked back through what I have read this year, I realized that I read a lot more non-fiction than in the past, 67 books (or 28% of my total reads to be precise), this turned out to be a good call, I enjoyed them a lot more than the fiction, and I knocked a good number of biographies and science books off my TBR.
As far as other genres go, general fiction and historical fiction continue to dominate, I read more mysteries too, while YA, fantasy and sci-fi languish behind, however I started a couple of promising fantasy series that I’m looking forward to continue in 2019.

One of my resolution from last year was to be cautious of hyped new books. In 2018, I stood back from the eager-reader rush, waited a couple of months after publication until the dust settled, and by scanning early readers’ reviews I avoided a few books that wouldn’t have worked for me. Only 29 of my reads were new releases.

TBR trend

At the beginning of 2018 I had 255 books and at the end of the year I have 93 leftovers from that list, I added 141 books over the year, and I read 143 from my old TBR, not a bad result. I still have many books that I’m “considering” which will feed into my 2019 TBR.

2018 reading goals and the actual stats

• 180+ books -> 241
• 54,000+ pages (averaging 300 pages per book) ->76,646
• 5% or fewer abandoned books -> 2 books or 0.82%
• 10-20% Non-Fiction -> 28%
• Be as varied as possible with my choice of genres -> ✔

Books read from old TBR: 143
Average pages per book: 318 pp
Average rating: 3.07 stars

message 25: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 01, 2019 10:43PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Year breakdowns:

Month average breakdowns:

message 26: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 01, 2019 10:44PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Overall I’m happy with how the year went and here are my standouts in no particular order:

Top Fiction
Red country by Joe Abercrombie
Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls
Genghis: Birth of an Empire by Conn
A kestrel for a knave by Barry Hines
The Terror by Dan Simmons
Mythos by Stephen Fry
The garden of evening mists Tan Twan Eng

Other Fiction favourites
The word is murder by Anthony Horowitz
Le otto montagne by Paolo Cognetti
Across the nightingale floor by Lian Hearn
The Caine mutiny by Herman Wouk
The good people by Hannah Kent
Sleep no more by P.D. James
Tin Man by Sarah Winman
A gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
The greatest knight by Elizabeth Chadwick
Fin Gall by James L. Nelson
A darker shade of magic by V.E. Schwab

Top Non-Fiction
All over but the shoutin’ by Rick Bragg
A night to remember by Walter Lord
The sound of gravel by Ruth Wariner
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
Call the midwife by Jennifer Worth
24 Hours in ancient Rome by Philip Matyszak

Other NF favourites
The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough
Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie
In distant lands by Lars Brownworth
Ghost Empire by Richard Fidler
The secret history of the Mongol queens by Jack Weatherford
Journey by James A. Michener

Top New-Releases
Educated by Tara Westover
The hate U give by Angie Thomas
An American marriage by Tayari Jones
Sadie by Courtney Summers
Button man by Andrew Gross
The salt path by Raynor Winn

Plans for 2019
Next year I will increase my overall target from 180 to 200 as I only have short travels coming up.
I’ll drop the non-fiction goal, I’m hooked on NF anyway. I’ll also drop the average page goal, to give the “shorties” and novelettes a go. I tend to gravitate towards longish books (I love saga and doorstoppers) because I like to get involved in the stories and a need a good 200 or so pages to really get me going and fully engaged in the characters. Expecting to have more free time than in 2018, I’m going to be more active in GR and join individual and group challenges from my various GR groups. Can’t wait for the new year to come!

Peace on earth, good books to all and wishing the New Year will bring everything you hope for ….
🥂 🍾 🎆

Happy reading everyone!

message 27: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Finished a couple of books:

The Happiness Trap: Stop Struggling, Start Living by Russ Harris, 2.5 stars

message 28: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Rainwater by Sandra Brown, 2.5 stars

An easy read, best for relaxing on the beach. It felt emotionally manipulative from the beginning but I suppose death and heartache are common themes for romance/chick books. I would have enjoyed it more if Solly’s condition wasn’t treated so superficially, the problematic period of the Great Depression oversimplified and characters weren't neatly arranged into “good” and “bad” camp.

message 29: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments currently reading Oathbringer, I've been saving this from last year, but it's a loooong book and it's going to take a while ...

message 30: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman, 4 stars

Almost all grown adults walk around full of regret over a good-bye they wish they’d been able to go back and say better.

What does it feel like?” “Like constantly searching for something in your pockets. First you lose the small things, then it’s the big ones. It starts with keys and ends with people.

message 31: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 07, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters, 3 stars

I wasn’t impressed by the first book of the successful series by Ellis Peters, but in this second book, brother Cadfael grew on me. This time I listened to the audio version narrated by Stephen Thorne, who I credit from my better experience. The ending was too sweet for my taste but I’ll certainly look for the next (audio)book.

message 32: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 07, 2018 11:12AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley, 3 stars

I don’t remember how this book came to be on my TBR, probably I saw it in one of my friends’ updates? It’s a quaint and charming little story, which speaks to lovers of books and adventures, it put a smile on my face.

I have always suffered from the feeling that it's better to read a good book than to write a poor one; and I've done so much mixed reading in my time that my mind is full of echoes and voices of better men.

An adventure that had started as a mere lark or whim had now become for me the very gist of life itself. I was fanciful, I guess, and as romantic as a young hen, but by the bones of George Eliot, I'm sorry for the woman that never has a chance to be fanciful.

message 33: by Waco (new)

Waco Glennon | 91 comments Kiwi, I am so impressed! I love your broad spectrum approach. I will check back from time to time to see how you like your reads.

message 34: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Thank you Waco, I like trying different books and genres, you'll never know what you're going to get!

you are welcome to visit anytime :)

message 35: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, My first 5 stars of 2018!

This book is only loosely based on the life of Lily Casey Smith, the author’s grandmothers, and as such, it may not be called a proper biography. However, I loved reading about the adventures of this tenacious, tough-as-leather lady that refuses conventions, never gives up nor feels sorry for herself.
I enjoyed this read just as much as I have The Glass Castle; for me it’s a 5 stars read that I would highly recommend.

Fav. quotes:

If you want be reminded of the love of the Lord, Mom always said, just watch the sunrise. And if you want to be reminded of the wrath of the Lord, Dad said, watch a tornado.

When someone’s wounded, the first order of business is to stop the bleeding. You can figure out later how best to help them heal.

I was an excellent driver. I didn’t particularly like city driving, with all the stoplights and street signs and traffic cops, but out in the country I was in my element. I knew the shortcuts and the back roads and had no hesitation heading out cross-country, barreling through the sagebrush and startling the roadrunners out of the undergrowth.

“Life’s too short, honey,” I said, “to worry what other people think of you.”

message 36: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 10, 2018 11:33AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, 3 stars

Sanderson’s storytelling and wordbuilding is awesome, but this book was problematic for me on a many levels.
After I spent hours reading through thousands of pages in the series, I remain frustratingly confused by the mind-blowing tangle of info about the gods, heralds, squires, the nightwatcher, the unmade, passions, voidsprens, the Fused …. Storms, I can't wrap my mind around it!
I’m disappointed and frustrated by too many (secondary) characters and storylines, I’m sure they will all come together in the end but right now I feel a migraine coming on trying to link the different strands together.

I really liked Dalinar’s flashbacks, his development as a character is great, on the other hand, there’s not enough of my favorite characters: Rock, Renarin, Wit, Jasnah. I didn’t care much for Adolin nor Lift, Kholin has regressed in brooding and whining mode, and what to make of Shallan’s (view spoiler)?

Like in the previous book, I disliked the parallel realm of Shadesmar, (view spoiler), I probably would eventually get a handle on it by plodding though the fans blogs to see what other readers (smarter than me) make of it, but I haven’t got the time or enthusiasm for it, I have an aversion to portals.
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, 3 stars

Overall, it was a good book and I don’t regret reading this behemoth of a novel but having reached the end of the third book in this series, I need a break. When deciding on whether to continue a series, I ask myself: is it worth the effort (and headache)?
Sadly, this is the place where the Stormlight Archive series and I may (amicably) depart.

message 37: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, surprisingly good, 3 stars

message 38: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Minority Report by Philip K. Dick, 3 stars

Very short book, a novella really. The book is nothing like the movie and I was surprised at how much more interesting were the ideas in Spielberg’s work compared to the original concept and simple story.
Of all the books by Philip K. Dick I have tried,The Man in the High Castle, A Scanner Darkly, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, this is the one I liked best, however I still think the movie is better than the book.

message 39: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments White Nights by Ann Cleeves, 3 stars

A slow paced mystery set in a small and closed community in the Shetlands. In this novel, like the previous one in this series, the focus is on the characters rather than the action. There’s a nostalgic theme, the reasons for the murders being rooted into what happened long ago, which fit the setting of this remote place. I quite liked inspector Perez, I am looking forward to read more in the next book.

message 40: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann, 3.5 stars

A chilling story of what happened to the Osage people during the 1920s, the so called “Reign of terror”, which I knew virtually nothing about. It’s the story of the investigation into the web of killings, conspiracy and cover-ups to gain access to the native’s oil wealth and the people of the fledgling Bureau involved in the murder cases. Well worth the read.

message 41: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Harp in the South by Ruth Park, 3.5 stars

This novel recounts the (mis)adventures of the dysfunctional but bighearted Darcy family, living in the dirty poor suburb of Surry Hills (Sydney) in the 40s.
I liked this is a down under classic for its realism, but one word of warning: one has to steel oneself for the rampant racist comments in the characters’ dialogues. I’m sure they were common and probably supposed to be funny at the time the book was written (1948) but nowadays they are truly cringe worthy. I listened to the audio version narrated by Kate Hood, the best comic parts in her Aussie brogue reminded me of “Kath and Kim”.

message 42: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Going and the Rise by F.G. Cottam, 3 stars

message 43: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Sweetgirl by Travis Mulhauser, 2 stars

A few factors contribute to my low rating of this novel. The story requires some degree of suspension of disbelief from the start (a young girl looking for her mum in a meth addicts house, she doesn’t find her but discovers and decides to take someone else’s baby) and it continues in this vein (view spoiler). All the characters seems juvenile, even the adult ones (like Porter), their actions were both impulsive and over the top, not a good read for me.

message 44: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk, 4 stars

This classic was an enjoyable read for me. The language and attitudes betrays the time the novel was originally written (1951, with old-fashioned jargon, anti-Semitism etc.) but the story is surprisingly good with excellent analysis of its many characters.

Fav. Quote:

You can’t understand command till you’ve had it. It’s the loneliest, most oppressive job in the whole world. It’s a nightmare, unless you’re an ox. You’re forever teetering along a tiny path of correct decisions and good luck that meanders through an infinite gloom of possible mistakes. At any moment you can commit a hundred manslaughters.

message 45: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 21, 2018 01:01PM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, 4.5 stars

This is how I like my YA, realistic and believable. The novel touches on many important themes: racial integration, blended family, gang affiliation, drug use, difference in social class, law enforcement and in-justice. The characters may be young but they don’t have to act like fools.
I would have liked a little more development on some of the main characters. If we take Chris as an example, his naivite when it comes to social status and race differences seems a bit unrealistic, besides I would have liked to hear his family’s perspective on his relationship with Starr. Other interesting characters which I would have liked to know more about are (uncle) Carlos, Seven (Starr’s half brother) and Iesha (Seven’s mum).
I would recommend this well deserving award winning novel to young and adult readers.

Fav. Quotes:

Doubt those bullets were meant for her, but bullets go where they wanna go.
At an early age I learned that people make mistakes, and you have to decide if their mistakes are bigger than your love for them.

message 46: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin, 3 stars

message 47: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments This House of Grief by Helen Garner, 2 stars

message 48: by Overbooked ✎ (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth, 5 stars

The brilliant memoirs of a young midwife resident at Nonnatus house, an Anglican convent, during the 50s. The many stories vary in content, some are nostalgic, funny and irreverent, others sad and heartbreaking. They all reveal the appalling conditions people living in London East End found themselves in after the war and the battles the nurses and nuns dedicated to their welfare had to face. I simply loved this book. Highly recommended.

Fav. Quotes:

Obstetricians also doubted the female intellectual capacity to grasp the anatomy and physiology of childbirth, and suggested that they could not therefore be trained. But the root fear was - guess what? - you’ve got it, but no prizes for quickness: money. Most doctors charged a routine one guinea for a delivery. The word got around that trained midwives would undercut them by delivering babies for half a guinea! The knives were out.

Docklanders were accustomed to meeting middle-class do-gooders, who deigned to act graciously to inferiors. The Cockneys despised these people, used them for what they could get, and made fun of them behind their backs, but Sister Evangelina had no patronising airs and graces. She would have been incapable of them. Imagination was not her strong point, and she could not have contrived nor invented anything. She was unswervingly honest, and reacted to every person and every situation without guile or affectation.

Lavatory humour was not considered vulgar or in bad taste amongst the working class during the early part of the last century, because the natural bodily functions were a conspicuous event. There was no privacy. A dozen or more families shared one midden, which had only half a door, the upper and lower portions being missing. So everyone knew who was in it, could hear everything and, above all, could smell everything. “She’s a stinker” was not a moral observation, but a statement of fact.

In days gone by, children had had to work from morning to dusk to earn a few pennies which, added to their parents’ money, would help the family through the winter. The hop-picking holidays had also been lifesavers for many East End children, because they were exposed to the sunshine, which prevented rickets.

message 50: by Overbooked ✎ (last edited Jan 28, 2018 11:30AM) (new)

Overbooked  ✎ (kiwi_fruit) | 2193 comments Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher, 1.5 stars

This was terrible. Contrary to the opinion of most of the readers, I found only a handful of letters (mildly) amusing, mostly were churlish, petty and repetitive. The protagonist is a pompous ass whose attitude of superiority rubbed me completely the wrong way.

I do get that the professor is in an unenviable position, and given his passive aggressive character, the sarcastic comments in his letters are an outlet to his frustrations. However, I personally don’t enjoy the company of whining people, I find them annoying no matter how witty they (think) they are. For an example of a character in similar dire straights, but that is genuinely funny see Roy Straitley, the Latin master in Gentlemen and Players, now that’s both sharp-witted and hilarious.
Moreover, what happens to Browles at the end, which was entirely unexpected, wasn’t funny at all. I persevered with this novel only because it was a short book and it fills one of my challenges this year. I am obviously in the minority, but I’m glad this is finally over.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7