Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Book Talk > Your top five books of 2017

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (last edited Dec 27, 2017 02:05PM) (new)

Erica | 935 comments Mod
I had more 5* reads this year than last so it was tough to pick just 5 but here they are (in no particular order):

The Lonely Hearts Hotel
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
All Quiet on the Western Front
An Untamed State

And an honourable mention for Fire a novel set in NZ, by a kiwi author that I really enjoyed and gave 5*. If you liked the tv show Mr Selfridge than you'll like this novel.

The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque An Untamed State by Roxane Gay Fire by Deborah Challinor

message 2: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Dec 27, 2017 02:18PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 986 comments Erica wrote: "I had more 5* reads this year than last so it was tough to pick just 5 but here they are (in no particular order):

The Lonely Hearts Hotel
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
..."

Hope rereads are ok.

Pride and Prejudice
My Cousin Rachel
Black Sheep
Much Ado About Shakespeare
The Harp in the South

Honorable Mentions Katherine Hera Lindsay Bird The Poems of Wilfred Owen

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 935 comments Mod
Any books you've read can count - including rereads :) I must get around to reading My Cousin Rachel

message 4: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Oh dear. I can never pick a few from a long list.

But of re-reads C J Cherryh's Foreigner series kept me sane.

And the 'send me to sleep with sweet dreams' were also rereads.
Lucy Bostons Greene Knowe series,
All my Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher books.
Terry Pratchett's Sam Vines novels. And a lot of very old fashioned children's books!

It's been a difficult and painful year with all the surgery and hospital so falling back on old favourites kept me smiling.

message 5: by Carlene (new)

Carlene (zellian) | 330 comments The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone by Jaclyn Moriarty
Probably the most surprising book I've read. Didn't realize it was for pre-teens but also didn't realize how hooked I was going to get.

Burning Issues by Allan Frewin Jones
A small and quick read, something I'd been given from an old English teacher and actually a really good read.

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan
Finally got round to reading this, slow at first but good in the end. Will have to keep an eye out for the rest of the series now.

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin
Had two big reads this year, obviously needed to get this one read as well!

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan
Wanted to read this for ages, and held out for ages when the hubby did buy a second-hand copy for me. Another one I'll be getting the rest of from the series.

This year in reading has been me trying to get the books in my shelves read, as well as a year of rekindling my love for manga and fantasy books.
Next year I'm hoping to read more poetry and short stories, as well as knock some more 'must-read' popular books off my list.

message 6: by Justine (new)

Justine | 3 comments Tricky to choose and there are a couple that are for a younger audience but still top picks of mine:
+ Longbow Girl (Linda Davies)
+ Dinner at Rose's (Danielle Hawkins)
+ Orphan Train (Christina Baker Kline)
+ The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Rebecca Skloot)
+ Nevermoor (Jessica Townsend)

Normally Colleen Hoover would feature, but I didn't read any of hers in 2017! Perhaps 2018?

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 935 comments Mod
Justine wrote: "Tricky to choose and there are a couple that are for a younger audience but still top picks of mine:
+ Longbow Girl (Linda Davies)
+ Dinner at Rose's (Danielle Hawkins)
+ Orphan Train (Christina Ba..."

I've heard lots of great things about Nevermoor and Orphan Train - must try and get to them.