Animal Book Club discussion

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
Animal Rights in Non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gabriel Roberts | 4 comments My name is Gabriel Roberts and I am trying to broaden my horizons into various topics, one such topic being animal rights. I'm currently looking for a group that will bring a wide spectrum of viewpoints and perspectives on meat-eating, animal-testing, poaching, etc. to help my understanding of the subjects and will also hopefully help others understanding as well. I have put this book up there because it is the book I am reading right now and I would like to put it up for discussion. I look forward to meeting all of you and exchanging ideas with some of you as well.

Bobby | 11 comments I've been meaning to read this one! Maybe I'll get to it sooner than later...once I finish some of the books I'm reading now! It's supposed to be a good one.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Schenone | 8 comments I have been meaning to read this one as well. Also recommend Marc Beckoff.

Megan | 1 comments This book is really a great resource for you if you are interested in animal rights. I have seen the author speak and she's a great speaker and really inspires me. She has a lot of videos you can watch and you might enjoy following her on social media also. This is a book i wish every individual would read.

Bobby | 11 comments Finished it a week or so ago and, having read hundreds of pages on similar topics, I was surprised to find a fresh and insightful account. I think she answers the "why" of the book's title better than anyone else I've read. In fact, I was so inspired by her take on this subject that I immediately picked up her most recent book, Beyond Beliefs, to better understand the dynamic between vegans, vegetarians, and "carnists." Well done, Dr. Joy!

Gabriel Roberts | 4 comments I did thoroughly enjoy this book and enjoyed the widely differing viewpoints that have been so seldom presented in my own life. I have not yet exploited the vast amount of extra resources in the back but happily plan to!

message 7: by Gabriel (last edited Mar 24, 2018 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabriel Roberts | 4 comments Bobby wrote: "Finished it a week or so ago and, having read hundreds of pages on similar topics, I was surprised to find a fresh and insightful account. I think she answers the "why" of the book's title better t..."

Awesome! Would you give a little more insight as to what "Beyond Beliefs" goes into?

Bobby | 11 comments Gabriel, Beyond Beliefs has been a much slower read for me than Why We Love Dogs... was. Far more than Why We Love Dogs was, Beyond Beliefs is a book of psychology, meant to help us understand the veg (vegan or vegetarian)/ non-veg dynamic from the most basic workings of the human psyche. It's about understanding how we think, not only in terms of what facts we acknowledge, but also which facts we accept enough to act on, how we communicate our beliefs, how to be respectful of other people and their differing beliefs, and, when you get down to it, how to be better, more compassionate humans.

While it took me 3 or 4 days to read Why We Love Dogs, I have been working on Beyond Beliefs for over a month, reading in small chunks, putting it down for a day or two, and coming back again. For me, at least, it's not a book to zip through quickly but something to digest in smaller bites. It occurs to me that while I enjoyed Why We Love Dogs more, Beyond Beliefs is the book that is more likely leading me to make positive changes in myself and my life. But then I was already vegan when I read Why We Love Dogs. Beyond Beliefs, I think, is helping make me a better person and vegan than I was when I started it.

Hope that helps!

Gabriel Roberts | 4 comments Bobby wrote: "Gabriel, Beyond Beliefs has been a much slower read for me than Why We Love Dogs... was. Far more than Why We Love Dogs was, Beyond Beliefs is a book of psychology, meant to help us understand the ..."

Thanks! I'll definitely put this on the "want to read" List!

message 10: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 2 comments Thanks Bobby! Great preview - I’m definitely looking forward to reading this!

Bobby | 11 comments I'm finding Beyond Beliefs are constructive and worthwhile read. Reading Why We Love Dogs + Beyond Beliefs is definitely helping me be more understanding and patient with those who continue in the "carnist" route despite so many great reasons to eradicate animals from our diets. Just what the doctor ordered for me, Chelsea!

Bobby | 11 comments *a constructive and worthwhile read*, not *are constructive and worthwhile read*!

message 13: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 2 comments That’s what I’m interested. I am currently living in the south and facing a lot criticism for my vegan life style. It can be incredibly frustrating, but I try to communicate from a place of peace and understanding. It would be helpful to learn how to communicate more effectively!

message 14: by Yudi (new)

Yudi Anto (mitrausahatani) | 1 comments is theres any digital version of this books? due to my location i can't buy the physical book

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Hall (laurenruddell) | 3 comments This was a great read that I indulged in a few years ago while I was also reading Hal Herzog's Book "Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat". Although there is a bit of overlap, I think anyone who enjoyed the book that started this thread, will also enjoy Hal's as well as "The Omnivores Dilemma". All very thought-provoking.