Blast from the Past discussion

Scheduled Books > 2018 Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robyn (last edited Dec 27, 2017 03:38PM) (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 111 comments Mod
January- Cold Mountain
February- The Private Lives of the Tudors
March- The Alice Network
April- Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
May- Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession by Alison Weir
June- Somerset by Leila Meacham

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Anne | 2 comments Ooh I like this idea! I will give this a whirl. Thanks Robyn. -L

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (driftlessreader) | 111 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Ooh I like this idea! I will give this a whirl. Thanks Robyn. -L"
:)

message 4: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 10 comments Some interesting sounding books coming up. Joined in for the first time in December and thought Gentleman In Moscow was an enjoyable read. Can't make January due to a stack of other books I really need to get to, but February sounds interesting and I already have the Alice Network on my TBR, so will join for that.

message 5: by Keriann (new)

Keriann (kad123) Hi there, have just joined, was pointed here by Shaun :) I love historical fiction and non fiction and would love to take part, I have Feb's book already :)

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace I have read the next books until May but I will be following along people’s posts until then :)

message 7: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 10 comments Looking for books beyond June it might be worth looking at the Walter Scott 2018 Longlist:

The Clocks In This House All Tell Different Times by Xan Brooks (Salt)
A dark social-realist fairytale, spotlighting the shadowy underside of 1920s England

Birdcage Walk by Helen Dunmore (Hutchinson)
It is 1792, and Europe is seized by political turmoil and violence

Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan (Corsair)
The long-awaited novel from the Pulitzer Prize-winning author opens in Brooklyn during the Great Depression

The Last Man In Europe by Dennis Glover (Black Inc Books)
April, 1947. In a run-down farmhouse on a remote Scottish island, George Orwell begins his last and greatest work: Nineteen Eighty-Four

Sugar Money by Jane Harris (Faber)
A tale of slavery and freedom, innocence and experience, love and despair set in the 18th century Caribbean

Prussian Blue by Philip Kerr (Quercus)
France, 1956. Bernie Gunther is on the run. The twelfth book in the renowned series

The Draughtsman by Robert Lautner (Borough Press)
1944, Germany. A novel which shines a light on the complex contradictions of human nature and examines how deeply complicit we can become in the face of fear

Grace by Paul Lynch (Oneworld)
An epic coming-of-age novel and a poetic evocation of the Irish famine as it has never been written

The Wardrobe Mistress by Patrick McGrath (Hutchinson)
A portrait of a woman struggling to make sense of her past and imagine a future in the seedy glamour of London’s theatrical world

Miss Boston and Miss Hargreaves by Rachel Malik (Fig Tree)
1940s rural England sets the scene for a multi-layered tale of an unlikely friendship

The Gallows Pole by Benjamin Myers (Bluemoose Books)
Eighteenth-century Yorkshire. A gang of weavers and land workers embark upon a criminal enterprise that will capsize the economy and become the biggest fraud in British history

The Horseman by Tim Pears (Bloomsbury)
An unexpected friendship between two children, set in Devon in 1911

The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley (Bloomsbury)
Set in the magical forests of South America in 1859

http://www.walterscottprize.co.uk/the...