Red Queen discussion

RQ #4 War Storm > Post-Reading (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 270 (270 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose (mangobookss) | 158 comments Mod
So now that you’ve read it, let’s discuss

message 2: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) Currently hating Aveyard.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela (love2sing13) | 53 comments You already finished it???

message 4: by Mars (last edited May 15, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Mars | 13 comments AHHHHHHHHH
I'm not getting it until next thursday xdddddd

I am forbidden to get ANY books until after finals, which end next thursday.

I'm gonna force my friends to drop me home to grab it before we go on our 12 hour "Doing shit around the city" spree

Lora (on hiatus) | 90 comments SPOILERS!!!!
I'm confused, how did Mare kill Maven?

Kimidarksecrets (hermoinegra) | 18 comments WoowReallly wrote: "Currently hating Aveyard."
Same!!!!

message 7: by Obesehomingpigeon (last edited May 18, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments Lora wrote: "SPOILERS!!!!
I'm confused, how did Mare kill Maven?"

I call it the Main Character Protection Act. No one can die but the villian! Honestly though, is Maven really the villian in this story? Maven and Mare should've just killed eachother.

message 8: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) Agreed, hardly any of the "good characters" die. Yet all the "bad guys" do.

Kimidarksecrets (hermoinegra) | 18 comments Obesehomingpigeon wrote: "Lora wrote: "SPOILERS!!!!
I'm confused, how did Mare kill Maven?"

I call it the Main Character Protection Act. No one can die but the villian! Honestly though, is Maven really the vill..."

Well.... I do not think anyone should've died.

message 10: by Abby (new)

Abby (flabby_abby) | 59 comments I finished it this morning!!! I am so happy Cal and Mare stuck together through it all in the end! I liked the epilogue, but I wish it had more detail and I wish Cal and Mare could have been a little more romantic with each other. I wanted Mare to be all like, "Cal, I've been meaning to say this for a long time, but I just... I love you. And I need you. Always have. Always will." And then Cal would be all like, "Mare... I love you and I want you more than anything else in the world." *Mare reels back dramatically then says* "I hope you don't plan on choosing the crown over me again after saying those words." *Cal pulls her close and they laugh together. He then says,* "Mare, I mean it this time. I will never make that mistake again. You are worth so much more than a crown, lighting or not, you are my everything." *Mare smirks and Cal does his crooked grin as they both blush. Mare says* "Cal, you know you sound like an idiot and look like one right now, but that just makes me love you even more," *Mare rolls her eyes and yanks Cal into a long kiss, then she pulls away only a centimeter and says,* "Cal, are we almost done?" "With what?" Cal responds playfully. "You know, everything. When will we finally be at peace?" "Probably never, at least not completely but I will be with you through it all. We are almost done, Mare." *Mare repeats him,* "Almost done.".................... SEE??? Now don't you guys think that would be a better ending? Lol CalMareisLife

message 11: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments He should have blatantly said “I choose you.” Not that metaphorical and implication crap of the epilogue. Where is the drama, the romance, aide we never saw mavens body. I finished it nine minutes ago and think it was too predictable. There should have been more death and romance. It was mostly just cal and mare being stubborn and war where no one actually died. I didn’t even cry. New Town was the most worried I got. Can you all list good things about the book to make me feel more complete?

message 12: by Abby (new)

Abby (flabby_abby) | 59 comments Anidori wrote: "He should have blatantly said “I choose you.” Not that metaphorical and implication crap of the epilogue. Where is the drama, the romance, aide we never saw mavens body. I finished it nine minutes ..."
Yea, I definitely wanted it to be more romantic.

message 13: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) But I feel like Red Queen isn't about the romance. It's about taking over the silver throne or whatever. Maybe a few kisses but, nothing heated or the sappy "I love you".

message 14: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Solomon | 24 comments WoowReallly wrote: "But I feel like Red Queen isn't really about all the romance."

It's marketed as a romance, sci-fi, fantasy novel.

message 15: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) V exactly.

message 16: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Solomon | 24 comments Even if I don't like Maven I felt a part of me die with him. I read about him for years and to watch him leave was hard. I also felt there was a bit too much war. I understand that this book is called 'WAR STORM" but there were about 4 battles throughout this book, and most of the rest was them discussing political strategies. Overall I loved the ending, but the epilogue was dry. It wasn't the usual explosive ending, but I enjoyed the simple, serenity of it. VA is writing a book of novellas, so the story isn't completely over.

message 17: by Kimidarksecrets (last edited May 21, 2018 06:43PM) (new)

Kimidarksecrets (hermoinegra) | 18 comments Lilly wrote: "Even if I don't like Maven I felt a part of me die with him. I read about him for years and to watch him leave was hard. I also felt there was a bit too much war. I understand that this book is cal..."
Very true, you are really right about the epilogue and the story. It isn't exactly completely over.

message 18: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments Those novellas better be a marcal reunion or Gisa and the pretty shop girl (Gisa is bi and I love her). Maybe it will be more about Evangeline. Do we know what it is about? I’m just looking forward to it. And I love how Queens Song was brought into War Storm.

message 19: by Kimidarksecrets (new)

Kimidarksecrets (hermoinegra) | 18 comments Anidori wrote: "Those novellas better be a marcal reunion or Gisa and the pretty shop girl (Gisa is bi and I love her). Maybe it will be more about Evangeline. Do we know what it is about? I’m just looking forward..."

I used to think she liked Kilron but whatever.... I guess

message 20: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments Also, since when was Kilorn and Cameron a thing? I thought Kilorn liked Ada. I was so confused and their relationship felt forced.

message 21: by Kimidarksecrets (last edited May 21, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

Kimidarksecrets (hermoinegra) | 18 comments I know right! I never even noticed that or realized something is going on in between them.

message 22: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) I had no idea too. I thought he was into Ada! When did Cameron + Kilorn happen!

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Just finished it, I really liked it. I wish there had been some more finality with Mare and Cal.

message 24: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments Exactly. I love Ada. She is smart.

message 25: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments Books need more smart people and less impulsive ones. That is why I like Farley, she didn’t kill Ptolemus because he was strategically important. Also how did Ptolemus live? Almost everyone wanted to kill him.

message 26: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments I like Ada, she is smart. Books need more smart people and less impulsive ones. That is why I like Farley. She didn’t kill Ptolemus because she knew he was important to the plan. Also how one Earth did Ptolemus survive? Almost every group tried to kill him specifically at one point or another.

message 27: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) V agreed! The smart sensible characters are usually close to my favorites (ex. Chubs). Farley was pretty awesome, too though.

message 28: by Obesehomingpigeon (last edited May 22, 2018 08:00AM) (new)

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments Honestly, the only character that remained consistent through War Storm, was Kilorn. It was like I was reading about different characters! And it wasn't like character development where they slowly become different people through time and circumstance! It was just, "Oh. It's been 10 minutes since the end of King's Cage, and apparently Cal is smart now." or "Oh. So Farley's entire personality changed." or "Oh. You know since Cal died and somehow came back, he and Mare are gonna have sex. Cause you know, they totally wouldn't go back to being friends first, and Mare's really bad at holding grudges."or,"Oh! Something is finally correct! Mare's still an idiot!" and finally,"Oh. So Maven the smartest character in the series isn't a genius anymore, he's just crazy. And all his military training just disappeared. And he was somehow unable to see Iris's betrayel coming even though he mentioned she was going to try something. And my favorite, Oh. Mare somehow managed to beat Maven in a fight without powers. Even though, he's physically stronger than her, and smarter. Oh. he forgot to pin her arm with the knife? I'm sorry this kid had military training since he was six! No idiot with/or without training would forget to pin the arm with a knife!!!"
Ugh, this book sucked.

message 29: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) It would seem so, lol.

message 30: by Obesehomingpigeon (last edited May 22, 2018 08:03AM) (new)

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments We should start a petition that VA has to destroy all copies of War Storm, and rewrite the book (with a good f****** ending this time!)

message 31: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) Yeah, it was really dry and dull. I'll have my little protesting signs if that helps any.

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments Ya know what, we just need a really good fanfiction writer to rewrite this piece of trash.

message 33: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I was really hoping that Mare would learn brain lightening and that’s how she would kill Maven or like her fury would be so strong that the silent stone wouldn’t be enough to hold her back.

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments See this is how the finale fight should've gone down. Cal is the big lumbering oaf he was in the previous novels....he sees Maven and gets p*ssed. Maven and Cal start fighting and Maven beats him with ability, manipulation, and strategy, because face it we all know Maven is the superior brother. Cal dies. Mare has one of her little hissy-fits about it, and Maven kinda has one of those, "I shocked I won" kinda things. Mare hears him mutter, "I won." and it somehow snaps Elara's hold on him, and Maven keeps on muttering the words, except they're angry and sad. Maven leans down over Cal's corpse and whispers, "I'm sorry brother," and he closes Cal's eyes. Mare is kinda out of it in grief and so is Maven. Iris sees her chance to take out two birds with one stone. She attacks, Mare doesn't see it coming, and Maven jumps in front her. Iris starts to drown Maven and water is spewing everywhere. Maven shouts at Mare, "Do it!" and then she looks at him and says, "I'm sorry." she electrocutes the water. Iris crumples to the floor, dead. Mare rushes over to Maven who is making painful noises, he's burnt all over. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" he keeps repeating, and Mare forgives him. Maven looks at Mare and says, "Bury me with her will you?" Mare tells him that she will, and as Maven dies he whispers, "I love you." he dies. Mare looks at his corpse and says "I'm sorry.". Then seeing that the three people she loved most are dead (Kilorn died in Newtown) Mare grabs Cal's bloody dagger and ends her own life.

And that's what would've happen if I wrote War Storm, with better writing obviously.

message 35: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments The reason maven didn’t hold down Mare’s hand is because he was resigned to his fate. He kinda wanted to die. Mare said his eyes were sad but satisfied. But I totally agree with the change in Cal’s character. I actually pictured him physically different then he was in the beginning. Evangeline was the weakest one. Ptolemus the nicest. Mare was strong and smart and not a mop of angst. Julian was a warrior. The characters were not consistent. Cal also changed his mind which made the entire plot pointless. It was beautifully written but it was a little off. It almost seemed too easy. The scarlet Guard has submarines? Iris just leaves? A lower Samos cousin would take power in the Rift and what was the Marcal split? There are good parts, but the ending wasn’t really great. (Why did Cal not think to attack New Town before?)

message 36: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Solomon | 24 comments Maven was always weak in combat, since the first book. Also Cal was always smart and liked tech. He just wasn't as good as wearing a mask. The reason Cal and Mare hooked up after his near death was because she still loved him, but didn't want the crown that came along with him. The next day Maven was captured and Cal became king and the alliance broke, causing Mare and everyone to leave.

message 37: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Solomon | 24 comments Elara's hold will never break. Plus, how on earth would Maven beat Cal in a fight? Mare even beat him even though he's almost twice her size and he's smarter. Sometimes brains are not all you need to win a fight.

message 38: by Lora (on hiatus) (new)

Lora (on hiatus) | 90 comments how in the world did mare even beat him?

message 39: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) Wait! So Maven wants to die with Iris even though he didnt love her. IN ADDITION, SHE FRIGGING MURDERED HIM. And Mare commits suicide?! Oh and can't forget Cal, he's dead. Whoo... so all the main characters die, and little ol Evangeline is playing hooky with Elaine. That'd be quite the twist...

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments No he wants to be buried with Elara...

message 41: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) Ermmm, is that really a heathy relationship between those two.

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments In defense of Maven: He still loves his evil mother.

message 43: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments There was no way Maven could stay alive and I liked that it was Mare and Silent Stone. I would have preferred that the fight resembled the one Maven had in training where Cal kept correcting him in the sidelines. Maven was never a fighter, so it isn’t weird that Mare beat him. Mare who have giant older brothers and has been training and fighting all her life. I wish they held on the moment Maven died. Maybe Mare couldn’t stop stabbing him to make sure he was dead, or Mare could be like “I looked silver with his blood”. Victoria never shied away from gore and death. I want to know more about his death.

message 44: by Lora (on hiatus) (new)

Lora (on hiatus) | 90 comments Anidori wrote: "There was no way Maven could stay alive and I liked that it was Mare and Silent Stone. I would have preferred that the fight resembled the one Maven had in training where Cal kept correcting him in..."
me too! It was a little open ended, like hey Maven died. How? You tell me.

message 45: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra I just wanted to say these are my options. I loved War Storm it is my favorite book in the series, and red queen is my favorite series. These are just my thoughts after. I finished the book Friday and still did not fully process it because I feel like it did not end... like the last few chapter got ripped out of my book. I was surprised because the ending was everything I wanted. I was expecting bloodshed and death, but there was hardly any. Yes, maybe Maven was the hardest death, but I never really liked him. The whole book was about war and war has death. I hate that but it is true. The whole ending would have made a lot more sense if Mare lost someone she loved. I feel like Victoria didn’t want to have people hating her, therefore she didn’t make the decision. She didn’t want to take a big risk, but that is why I love her. In the other books she took huge risks with the twists and turns. I wanted some clearance about Mare and Cal as well. I feel like Victoria really wrote them out amazingly in the book as this forbidden love, but when they can finally be with each other Mare wants space. I get it she needs to find herself, but for a character who is as strong as Mare it didn’t make much sense. I would more understand if her and Cal were still together, but she chose to go back to her family in Montfort. Not that they were in this awkward place where they want to be with each other but don’t. The book was pretty amazing I have to admit and not boring. The other thing is I really did not like Cal’s and Maven’s chapters. I felt like they should of had more and sooner. I wanted to see this internal struggle with Cal. Cal fighting with himself of trying to figure out who he is, what he wants, while still wanting to please others, and him wanting to hold on to the last thing familiar— the crown. Instead we get him having no personality I felt like. Also his chapters did get better so I think if there was more and sooner, it would have been better. Mavens was alright but they weren’t anything special. On the other side I loved Iris— something I wasn’t expecting and made the story so much more interesting. Evangeline became my favorite character and I loved her ending so much!! Mares was good as well and I understood her morals. Cals just didn’t really explain anything, I think mostly because he only had like 3 chapters and all of them were in the 2nd half of the book! What do you think, do you agree or disagree with me?

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments Alexandra, Mare is not a strong character. She is actually the weakest one.

Obesehomingpigeon | 126 comments Also, loved Iris, even if she made no sense what so ever. Iris and Maven banter was awesome.

message 48: by Anidori (new)

Anidori (anidoriannabeth) | 235 comments It was awesome to get a look into Lakelander culture. Personally I think Evangeline ended up being the weakest because she would not give up on love. Evangeline would. I’m a way that makes her stronger but her weakness was known and she was too easily persuaded. She is still my favorite. I also think that Maven and Cal’s chapters were not really worth it. I liked hearing their voice but it was a little creepy. I like Maven being mysterious and Cal being easy to read. We didn’t really need to hear from them. I would prefer that they stayed the same in my head. And Mare’s “find herself” that was stupid. I did not slug through all her whining in Glass Sword to have her still not know her identity and break up withCal because of it. She worked hard for who she was and was the strongest version of herself in this book, but losses it at the end.

message 49: by Lilly (new)

Lilly Solomon | 24 comments Obesehomingpigeon wrote: "Alexandra, Mare is not a strong character. She is actually the weakest one."
Considering she has faced war, famine, poverty, and imprisonment I think she's pretty damn strong.

message 50: by Riley (new)

Riley (woowreallly) True enough.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6