J.D. Robb discussion

Faithless (Grant County, #5)
This topic is about Faithless
Archive -2017/18 Series GR > Faithless by Karin Slaughter (Grant County #5) - January 2018 - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 03, 2018 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12967 comments Mod
The victim was buried alive in the Georgia woods–then killed in a horrifying fashion. When Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver stumble upon the body, both become consumed with finding out who killed the pretty young woman. For them, a harrowing journey begins, one that will test their own turbulent relationship and draw dozens of life into the case.

For as Jeffrey and Sara move further down a trail of shocking surprises and hidden passions, neither is prepared for the most stunning discovery of all: the identity of a killer who is more evil and dangerous than anyone could have guessed.

Character List
(view spoiler)

Everyone ready to start reading?

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1225 comments Yes

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Oh this book was so creepy...loved it!! Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!
Happy 2018!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments I will be starting tomorrow.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments I've got it coming up on my January TBR as well.

Vera Maslow | 446 comments This is in my Jan. reading pile too!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 867 comments The group has caught up to me so I'll be reading this one too

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Well hell, just started and angry with Jeffrey already.

Lol! Familiar place to be.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Does Jeffrey ever learn to communicate with Sara?

I don’t think I’m spoiling anything by saying eventually.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments I liked Jeffrey in the first book but it seems with each subsequent book he makes me lose hope that he will ever grow a pair.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments I thought in book 1 or 2 they described Jo Carter as getting heavy but in this book she still has a perfect body. Do I have the right series?

I really don’t remember.

message 16: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jan 03, 2018 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments I'm starting today.. and have just ordered the first couple of the Will Trent series in preparation of continuing buddy reading. This is a really different genre for me and despite the icky forensics I'm loving the character interactions.

message 17: by Eve (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eve (everf) | 84 comments It feels like everyone have a chip on their shoulder.
Jeffrey cheated on his wife. Wife's mother cheated on her husband, Someone bury people alive. Lena dislikes her job and is stressed out. If you so much dislike police work and everything involving it, then why not choose another career path?
Right now its quite hard to care what happens to the main characters. Hope it gets better but right now I am not impressed by Jeffrey nor anyone else...

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Up to Chapter 7. OMG... I'm thinking Jeffrey and Sara should just call it quits. (view spoiler) Too much baggage.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Eve wrote: "It feels like everyone have a chip on their shoulder.
Jeffrey cheated on his wife. Wife's mother cheated on her husband, Someone bury people alive. Lena dislikes her job and is stressed out. If yo..."

I feel the same way. I know this is a series about damaged people but even people with problems can work through some of them. I don't think Karin plans to let any of these characters be happy even for a short time. That gets old after awhile. I had to put the book aside and go back to Eve and Roarke for a time.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Up to Chapter 7. OMG... I'm thinking Jeffrey and Sara should just call it quits. [spoilers removed] Too much baggage."

I don't think it is hard to forgive the past as long as a couple works together in the present. Honestly, I thought that Sara would be more understanding after the last book but how can she? Jeffrey refuses to communicate and I am totally turned off because of him.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Okay, so I'm towards the end now and I might have to soften my previous comments. It seems that despite the odds Sara and Jeffrey are moving forward.

Now Lena is another matter altogether!

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10203 comments Mod
It's so interesting to hear first-time readers' thoughts. I experienced the same wide range of emotions my first time reading the series. Slaughter sure knows how to stir readers emotions over these characters.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Finished - boy, some really evil things happened in this instalment. (view spoiler)

With one book left in this series I'm getting a really bad feeling that something horrible is going to happen in the last instalment to one of the major characters.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Sharon wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Up to Chapter 7. OMG... I'm thinking Jeffrey and Sara should just call it quits. [spoilers removed] Too much baggage."

I don't think it is hard to forgive the past as ..."

So interesting to read your comments, because, for me, Sara was the one that I wanted to shake. Either forgive him for the past or don't - then move on. I have a soft spot for Jeffrey!

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm starting today.. and have just ordered the first couple of the Will Trent series in preparation of continuing buddy reading. This is a really different genre for me and despite the icky forensi..."

As much as I love the GC series, the Will Trent series is even better! So many things that happen in GC come full-circle in the WT books. Karin certainly had "the big picture" in mind while writing these stories.

message 26: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 05, 2018 04:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Ann wrote: "As much as I love the GC series, the Will Trent series is even better! So many things that happen in GC come full-circle in the WT books. Karin certainly had "the big picture" in mind while writing these stories...."

Wholeheartedly agree and I LOVE this series.

Slaughter lives in the area where this series is located and was committed to writing stories that were a true reflection of the region. I’ve read quite a few of her interviews and believe that was her objective. The characters are seriously flawed but at the same time all have redeemable qualities that keep us hoping they’ll eventually choose the right paths. That’s pretty incredible when you think about it.

I’ve had a love/disappointment relationship with Jeffrey throughout the series but, like Jo Ann, am equally as frustrated with Sara. If you think about it, we’ve got friends like these two who we want to either break up or get it right. They’re reality and given that Slaughter has more interest in portraying the truth than a happy ever after, sometimes these stories deliver pain and frustration. I kept reminding myself of that when I wanted to throw my iPad at the wall.

Jo Ann wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm starting today.. and have just ordered the first couple of the Will Trent series in preparation of continuing buddy reading. This is a really different genre for me..."

I agree, Jo Ann!! Slaughter definitely had a big picture in mind & she does what she feels she must to keep it real. And like you, I blamed Sarah as much as I did Jeffrey. She needed to get over it & move on or turn him loose. Too much precious time wasted.

message 28: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jan 05, 2018 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Up to Chapter 7. OMG... I'm thinking Jeffrey and Sara should just call it quits. [spoilers removed] Too much baggage."

I don't think it is hard to forgi..."

I smiled when I read that because I do too. Cheating is never okay but when you put their whole relationship into perspective Sara by keeping what happened to her a secret and not trusting him with the knowledge of something that huge doomed their relationship to problems before it even started. Jeffrey is definitely a flawed hero but somehow oh so appealing.

message 29: by Sharon (last edited Jan 05, 2018 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Up to Chapter 7. OMG... I'm thinking Jeffrey and Sara should just call it quits. [spoilers removed] Too much baggage."

I don't think it is hard to forgi..."

I wanted to shake Sara at times too but I always felt like she wanted Jeffrey to talk to her. Jeffrey wants Sara to need him then every time she needs him he doesn't have time or makes an excuse.

In this one, that is another big secret he holds from her. Considering she is a physician, she needed to know to protect her patients. If he shared instead of pushing her away, she could move forward with trust.

I also understand how she can picture Jeffrey with Jo and wonder what they did. I know people who tried to heal a marriage after cheating and the topic came up a lot. I agree with Tessa it wasn't once.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments I expect something terrible to happen in the next book too. I can't believe it is going to end with six books.

I don't think Sara's mother is being honest with her. Lena is going to have some backlash because of Ethan. She is so sneaky. I don't trust her for a minute. Sara & Jeffrey God only knows what wrench those two are going to throw into their attempt to fix their relationship.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments For anyone who read this series before, does the Wards come back in the next book? I feel like their story isn't finished. It isn't really necessary but I want to know a little more about the groups' reaction to the events.

Belles | 156 comments At the beginning of the book I was frustrated by Sarah & Jeffrey. Like you guys said above, she needs to forgive him or let him go. Jeffrey needs to not keep big secrets from her. Will he never learn.

Lena's character also frustrated me through the whole book as she continued on her never ending downward spiral.

But by the end of the book it gave me hope that they won't all be stupid in the last book. How Slaughter chooses to end this series will determine for me whether or not the roller coaster ride was worth it. I'll find out next month.

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to have open discussions!

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Belles wrote: "At the beginning of the book I was frustrated by Sarah & Jeffrey. Like you guys said above, she needs to forgive him or let him go. Jeffrey needs to not keep big secrets from her. Will he never lea..."

For me, the "was the roller coaster ride worth it" didn't happen until b3 of the Will Trent series. It's like - aha! - so this is why KS created all those frustrating moments in the GC series. So worth it!!!
**trying to remain spoiler free**

Lena is certainly an enigma. As tough as she projects to be, why do you think she tolerated Ethan’s abuse?

Belles | 156 comments Jo Ann wrote: "Belles wrote: "At the beginning of the book I was frustrated by Sarah & Jeffrey. Like you guys said above, she needs to forgive him or let him go. Jeffrey needs to not keep big secrets from her. Wi..."

Really?! Hmmm....interesting. I read the teaser blurb for the first Will Trent and didn't notice a connection except they're both set in Georgia. Glad those of you in the know decided to read these back-to-back then.

Belles | 156 comments Jonetta wrote: "Lena is certainly an enigma. As tough as she projects to be, why do you think she tolerated Ethan’s abuse?"

BECAUSE SHE WON'T GO TO THERAPY!!! Sorry for the shouty caps, but Lena frustrates me to no end. She's not stupid and she knows better but she won't help herself. Aaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Belles wrote: "Really?! Hmmm....interesting. I read the teaser blurb for the first Will Trent and didn't notice a connection except they're both set in Georgia. Glad those of you in the know decided to read these back-to-back then. ..."

Actually, I read the first book in the Will Trent series and then a friend advised me that I needed to read Grant County first. The two books in Will Trent don’t have a connection to this series. The third book is where the two connect.

Jeffrey tells Sara that he might have contracted hepatitis. Does Sara have a right to be upset?

Belles wrote: "BECAUSE SHE WON'T GO TO THERAPY!!! Sorry for the shouty caps, but Lena frustrates me to no end. She's not stupid and she knows better but she won't help herself. Aaarrrrrrgggghhhhh! ..."

She can be such the bada$$ it confounded me that she’d tolerate this from Ethan. I wondered if there’s a part of her that feels she deserves to be abused. Did that experience in the first book where she was abducted and tortured, coupled with the brutality of her sister’s murder, create this point of view? Her behavior just confuses me. She hasn’t been with this creep long enough to have formed the attachment you see with most abused women.

Sharon wrote: "I don't think Sara's mother is being honest with her...."

In what way?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 556 comments Jonetta wrote: "Jeffrey tells Sara that he might have contracted hepatitis. Does Sara have a right to be upset?"

Yes, she's human! Any woman unless they are Mother Theresa would at least feel anger, frustration and disappointment. He cheated (for a variety of reasons which I guess Sara contributed to, still does not make it okay) and then he mustn't have used a condom. And with them only finding out recently that Jeffrey had fathered a son in his youth it amazes me that this couple is still together. The chemistry between them must be strong. Makes for good reading though.

Jo Ann wrote: "Belles wrote: "At the beginning of the book I was frustrated by Sarah & Jeffrey. Like you guys said above, she needs to forgive him or let him go. Jeffrey needs to not keep big secrets from her. Wi..."

I so agree! Readers will need to hold on until WT book 3 for things & the connection to snap into place. But the first 2 WT books will set the stage for things that connect after that. Like you, I find it extremely hard to discuss these series & stay spoiler free. So I mostly just observe! lol

message 44: by Jonetta (last edited Jan 08, 2018 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Yes, she's human! Any woman unless they are Mother Theresa would at least feel anger, frustration and disappointment. He cheated (for a variety of reasons which I guess Sara contributed to, still does not make it okay) and then he mustn't have used a condom. And with them only finding out recently that Jeffrey had fathered a son in his youth it amazes me that this couple is still together. The chemistry between them must be strong. Makes for good reading though...."

At least Jared was conceived before they met. Finding your husband in your bed with another woman...well, that’s an image that would be hard to erase. Then to have that moment resurface with a disease? I imagine when Sara got upset it’s because all of that came back up.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Jonetta wrote: "Jeffrey tells Sara that he might have contracted hepatitis. Does Sara have a right to be upset?"

She had every right to be angry. Putting the cheating aside and the fact that he didn't use protection, Sara is a doctor and working with children. Jeffrey should have called her as soon as his side piece called him. Sara could be a carrier and passing it on to her patients. Think about the lawsuit that she would face. It could ruin he career. Instead of calling her he avoids her waiting for the results of the blood test.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Jonetta wrote: "Belles wrote: "BECAUSE SHE WON'T GO TO THERAPY!!! Sorry for the shouty caps, but Lena frustrates me to no end. She's not stupid and she knows better but she won't help herself. Aaarrrrrrgggghhhhh! ..."

I agree with you. People deal with rape in different ways. Some women are so damaged that they fall into self-destructive behavior. I don't get the Ethan relationship as he is not her type. The thing is Lena is just as destructive to Ethan. When we first meet him he is trying to turn his life around and now he is falling back into his old habits. The way Lena set up Ethan at the end is so cowardly and proves that she should not be on the police force.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I don't think Sara's mother is being honest with her...."

In what way?"

I question her honesty about the relationship she had with Tom Ward. It is interesting that both her sister and Jeffrey commented on how much she looks like Lev. Tessa also commented that everyone says she takes after her mother not Sara. When Sara went to her mother questioning her paternity, she didn't get a straight answer. Her mother became accusatory instead of easing Sara's concerns.

Sharon wrote: "I question her honesty about the relationship she had with Tom Ward. It is interesting that both her sister and Jeffrey commented on how much she looks like Lev. Tessa also commented that everyone says she takes after her mother not Sara. When Sara went to her mother questioning her paternity, she didn't get a straight answer. Her mother became accusatory instead of easing Sara's concerns..."

I don’t know what to make up that. She was definitely being cagey.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 682 comments I decided to follow your discussions from time to time, and it has been a trip down memory lane. I anticipate the discussion when you get to WT series. There are a few people there I wanted to shake from time to time, but the story is completely different!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2234 comments Charlene wrote: "I decided to follow your discussions from time to time, and it has been a trip down memory lane. I anticipate the discussion when you get to WT series. There are a few people there I wanted to shak..."

These comments about the WT series worry me a little. I'm guessing that the final book in the Grant County series doesn't have a satisfying ending. I don't have a problem with spinoff series and/or characters but I feel that an author owes fans resolution.

I find myself all over the place reading this series but I believed questions about Lena, Jeffrey and Sara, et. al. would have an answer. It doesn't sound like that is the case. I resisted reading ahead so far but I'm not sure how long I'll wait to jump on the final book.

« previous 1