What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YYA-Fantasy/Supernatural- Girl’s family dies in fire, she escapes, lives with aunt, goes to school where she learns more about her family's death. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments Hi,
I read a YA fantasy/supernatural novel between the years of 2009-2013. The girl’s family dies in a house fire and she is forced to move in with her Aunt.

Specific memories: prior house burnt down, lives with Aunt, lots of fog towards the climax/ending of the book, a tavern or restaurant which basically everyone in town goes to & there is stew, somebody wants to put a superstore where the restaurant is, there is a large body of water near by & a scary island nobody goes to, large feast at the end of the book which was prepared in the kitchen of the restaurant but held in the field near by

My guess at a synopsis: I believe the book starts off with the girl moving in with her Aunt after her family was killed in a house fire from which she escaped? This fire was an important part of the book and I believe she ends up finding out her family was intentionally killed by a wizard or warlock. I feel like she goes to school and does not entirely feel like she fits in. There is definitely a magical component to the book as I remember magic is, as she finds out, the reason her family dies in the house fire. Her aunt definitely knows about magic or is a witch. I don’t remember a lot of scenes happening in school but the girl is high school aged and attends a private school once she moves in with her aunt. I feel like she finds a book at school and that leads her to discovering magic. Someone brings her to the restaurant/tavern and tells her about the creepy island. Something gives me the person who wants to build a superstore where the restaurant is, is portrayed as evil & maybe linked to her parents’ death. (That or he has no connection at all). In the end I think something scares that guy during a speech and he desires not to build anything there. I have a feeling that the feast at the end has to do with an annual celebration of some sort.

Unsure: I have no idea how magic fits into the story beyond the fire and the celebration but magic was probably the reason I chose the book. My imagination may have completely made up the superstore part. I have a very strong feeling that someone needed to take a boat out to the island (not the main character) in order to stop something from happening but I might be merging storylines in my head.

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Tower of Evil, maybe?

message 3: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
This came out in 2014 but also kind of fits: Compulsion

message 4: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments I read the synopses and neither of those sound close. Thank You

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Touch of Frost possibly? It's the first book in a series, but I haven't actually read it yet. I do know it starts after her family is killed in some way that is definitely PN. Thought I'd throw it out there.

message 6: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments Not it, but thank you!

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments Does it involve angels by any chance? If so it might be Fallen by Lauren Kate. The summary sounds very familiar, but I'm not 100 percent sure. Good luck!

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Fallen is the click for Christina's suggestion.

message 9: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments No that’s not it. There were definitely not angels in it. Thanks!

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 22 comments Bump because this is sounding annoyingly familiar, I'm sure I've read this....if I work it out I'll come back :)

message 11: by Kris (last edited Dec 29, 2017 06:45AM) (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Miranda, I removed a (view spoiler) from the topic header and added a spoiler alert. Spoilers in the comments are fine - the alert will give people a clear warning.

message 12: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments Ok. Thank You.

message 13: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments Bump

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Please note you can "bump" your thread/topic (add a new comment) every 30+ days because this group is so large -- or sooner if you remember more information which you can add at any time.

message 15: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments Still looking for this book.

It might not have been her aunt and may have been her great aunt or someone who says they are her aunt. For some reason I remember doilies being a thing in that house?

message 17: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 9 comments Unfortunately not! Thanks for trying though! It would have been published on or before 2011. I checked the book out from my high school library sometime between 9th & 11th grade. Still crossing my fingers this sounds familiar to someone!