Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > January 2018 ~ All Time Favorites!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 191 (191 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Grey (last edited Jan 28, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
A new challenge for 2018 is the ATF Challenge. I know, we were talking about all sorts of mnemonics for abbreviating the new challenge (PMF...5SF...FSF) and then I go and think of this one. I can't be trusted, haha🙃! For me...some of the books that are my all time favorites that I may recommend, may not necessarily have gotten 5 stars...but nonetheless are still on my favorite books of all time list, I hope that makes sense...and if someone really wants me to change the name, I certainly will!!

Anyway, the rules of this challenge are pretty simple.

1) Between the 26th and the 29th of December, members express their interest in participating in the ATF challenge during January.
2) Sometime between 30th- 31st of December it will be randomized by one of our illustrious randomizers to see who the lucky 1st woman of honor will be.
3) She will post the link to her All Time Favorite Books list (which could be her 5 stars list... or it could be something new that she makes up specifically for this challenge, however, it should include at least 10 books, in fact the more books the better). I will also link the Honoree's list here in this first post.
4) Then this is where it gets fun... the Honoree could deign to 'help' pick a book for each of us that are participating to read from that list that we haven't read, if we have it or can easily get our hands on it. Or...she could just let us run amok and pick from all of her favorite choices.

Clear as mud? LOL!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The Honoree for January 2018 is .... Drumroll please! Lisa!

Here is Lisa's All Time Favorites List

Now for the rest of us... here's what we're reading from Lisa's list!

Tessa has chosen RUSH (Rush, #1) by Emma Scott and rated as 5 stars!
Fabi has chosen Curing Doctor Vincent (The Good Doctor Trilogy, #1) by Renea Mason and rated as 5 stars!
Paula has chosen When Life Happened by Jewel E. Ann and rated as 3 stars.
Jean has chosen Everything We Keep (Everything #1) by Kerry Lonsdale and rated it as 5 stars!
Renee has chosen Riven by Lissa Del
Jan has chosen Mists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar
Leslie has chosen Yes, Mr. Van Der Wells by S. Ann Cole and rated as 2 stars.
Grey has chosen Whispers and the Roars by K. Webster and rated as 3.75 stars
Ela has chosen From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon
Kooloo has chosen From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon
Amy

And our Honoree of the month, Lisa, chose It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover from Leslie's ATF suggestion.

message 2: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Just have people run amok. I know with some people, they might have the book already and this is their incentive to finally read it. Or, in some cases, like fifty of the same books, just unread. lol (Or in our cases, we'd have all these similar bully books read and glare at each other for not having a new bully book available. :P ) Each of us are so different that, what might be awesome for one will be horrible for another.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am soooooo in on this one. I vote for running amok....cuz that's what I do best!!!

message 4: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments ummm, that's not exactly what I had in mind ???

I was thinking more along the lines of each of us making a favorites list (if we don't already have one) then

for example - In January

Leslie reads one of Fabi's favorites
Tessa reads one of Grey's favorites
Fabi reads one of Rennee's favorites
etc.

It would change each month (or not, depending on the names the randomizer picks)

We should probably, maybe, include a link to the shelf we want to use as our favorites list?

message 5: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments LOL! Like we don't run AMOK already!

message 6: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Ohhhhh! See, I have it soooo wrong! hahah! Thank Cripes we have you around, Fabi... your way makes more sense. I like my way better *giggle* only because I think EVERYONE should read Arsen... Can you tell I'm the youngest and used to getting my own way, hmmph. ok. Changing the rules. Sorry about that, LOL!

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Count me in - however we end up doing it!

message 8: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments no no Grey, let's do it your way

It doesn't matter to me. I was just looking for a way to reconnect with all of you since I really don't read the same books as most of you do anymore.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I vote we choose one person and dig in to their Favorites List each month...if I get a vote. In my mind, I do, but in real life it's seldom that way, LOL

message 10: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments yes, definitely, that's how Grey had it lined out.

We shouldn't have more than 12 people wanting to play anyways.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments 172 Ela!! Was there a quick way to create your list??

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Here's my All Time Favorites List -

Lisa's All Time Favorites

message 14: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Holy shit, Ela! haha! 172?!?!?! I just made my list too and thought I had a lot with 27.

Well, I had already changed it to Fabi's way *giggle* I don't know what to do now... you guys can take a vote and I will go with what the majority wants, how about that?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue... open mouth, insert whole leg, I feel like a buffoon now.

message 15: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments Let's do it your way Grey. As long as we don't have more than 12 people playing everyone should get a turn.

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in too you guys however you decide to work it. I already have a favorites list, and I think it's a little lengthy (226 books)......so lots of choices for everyone!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 17: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments My all time favorites shelf - I may change the shelf later, but this one is already there...

my all time favs

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments And even if we have more than 12, we can just carry it on into the next year :) And then recycle!!

message 19: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments so do we pick our own book from the person's fav shelf or does the person of the month pick for us?

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 27, 2017 11:51AM) (new)

Ok, saying this knowing im probably not going to join in, lol. So ignore me.

I like fabi's way and the smaller shelf of 10 or so.
I love a list but i know i would not really check out a large shelf/shelves.

Plus, what if one month it is one of those odd times when everyone disappears for awhile? So maybe 12 read Grey's but 3 read Leslie's. I know I am over thinking it and not joining in so feel free to ignore.

message 21: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
bev wrote: "Ok, saying this knowing im probably not going to join in, lol. So ignore me.

I like fabi's way and the smaller shelf of 10 or so.
I love a list but i know i would not really check out a large shelf/shelves.

Plus, what if one month it is one of those odd times when everyone disappears for awhile? So maybe 12 read Grey's but 3 read Leslie's. I know I am over thinking it and not joining in so feel free to ignore. ..."

No, I agree with you, bev. and pouts that you're not joining in the fun.

That's why I said everyone has to post with their intent to participate in the thread in the few days before the month begins... that way we can throw them into the randomizer that month, to see if they would be chosen to be the "honoree" LOL! I don't know... it's so confusing my way. I think Fabi's way is better now that she was the voice of reason, haha!

Yeah, I also agree, that's why I pared my list down to my All Time Favorites, instead of just using my 5 stars shelf. These are my top top top favorites, LOL!

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments OK here is my list - I have missed some off as there are so many but hopefully this will be enough -Paula's Favourites

message 23: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I narrowed it down to 33. I can't say that these are my top favorites, but I did try to make it a variety. (Though, some of the top favorites made it anyway, because I love them that much!)

message 24: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I’m in! And I don’t care how we do it either. Will post my list as soon as I get home.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am so confused - so I'll just come back on Friday and find out what the final rules are gonna be :) No matter what, I have my list out there!!

message 26: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Tessa wrote: "I narrowed it down to 33. I can't say that these are my top favorites, but I did try to make it a variety. (Though, some of the top favorites made it anyway, because I love them that much!)

https..."

Ugh Tessa! Now I feel like I have to narrow mine down too! I was being lazy and just using my Favorites Shelf!

message 27: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Jean wrote: "Tessa wrote: "I narrowed it down to 33. I can't say that these are my top favorites, but I did try to make it a variety. (Though, some of the top favorites made it anyway, because I love them that ..."

I don't have a favorites shelf. I started to make one and got frustrated because my list of five stars would reset itself and I'd have to start searching all over again. I'll eventually do that though, have a five-star shelf completed (actually called Bob, best of books).

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Welp, I'm in. This sounds like it's gonna be fun. I've got a current favs shelf, which I do update now and then. Don't panic, it's not all HRs LOL. I'll have another look at it today and see whether it needs weeding or whether any new favs need to be popped in.

message 29: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Jan130 wrote: "Welp, I'm in. This sounds like it's gonna be fun. I've got a current favs shelf, which I do update now and then. Don't panic, it's not all HRs LOL. I'll have another look at it today and see whethe..."
I have read so many of those. 0.0

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ok, I am not sure I understand. Do I get to chose what I want to read off whoever I am paired with list or will they chose the book? I think the pairs is what is confusing me. Sorry, it doesnt take much. 😕

I thought the plan was that one of us would be randomly chosen each month then the rest of us would pick a fave of the chosen one to read that month.

I probably misunderstood everything.

message 31: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Paula wrote: "172 Ela!! Was there a quick way to create your list??"

Nope! Just when I read and I loved I marked favorite...

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Leslie wrote: "Ok, I am not sure I understand. Do I get to chose what I want to read off whoever I am paired with list or will they chose the book? I think the pairs is what is confusing me. Sorry, it doesnt take..."

I'm with you, Leslie - thought it was one person chosen each month, and we all choose something from their list...bu I confuse easily. So, I will just sit back and wait for the official rules. I don't care what it ends up being, I'mma join anyway!!!

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Lisa, glad I am not only confused one! 😉

I will wait for final verdict on rules to see if I will join. If I can choose what to read, I am in. If not, I dont think I will as I am scardies of what crazy things would get picked! 🙄

In all seriousness, I guess I want to minimize book purchases and adding to tbr in 2018.

message 34: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Yup....confused in Chicago!

LOL Leslie...you're just afraid I would pick ONLY PNR for you....

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ela, exactly! I am petrified of the Marmys, fae, historical, fantasy, etc that you all would pick. 🤤

message 36: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
So...do we want to go back to my way? LOL... gah, I feel like the fly in the ointment here, or the hair in the soup? IDK.

Ok, this is what my original post said... I saved it in my email, just in case...

Anyway, the rules of this challenge are pretty simple.
1) Between the 26th and the 29th of December, members express their interest in participating in the ATF challenge during January.
2) Sometime between 30th- 31st of December it will be randomized by one of our illustrious randomizers to see who the lucky 1st woman of honor will be.
3) She will post the link to her All Time Favorite Books list (which could be her 5 stars list... or it could be something new that she makes up specifically for this challenge, however, it should include at least 10 books). I will also link it here in this first post.
4) Then this is where it gets fun... the honoree could deign to 'help' pick a book for each of us that are participating to read from that list that we haven't read, if we have it or can easily get our hands on it. Or...she could just let us run amok and pick from all of her favorite choices.

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I vote for Grey's original way. One honoree. We all pick from their fave's list and run amok picking what we want (unless we need help from the honoree to narrow it down for us).

message 38: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Agreed!

message 39: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Agreed

message 40: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments Agreed

message 41: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Agreed! I need to make a separate list I think. There are over 200 on my favorites shelf. I have until tomorrow right?

message 42: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments nah....I just added to it...

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I like original way & for me the more books to choose from the better!

message 44: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments I'm good as long as I get to go amok. Amok, amok, amok. *I absolutely loved that part of the movie*

message 45: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) I like amok. What's the movie? Haha amok makes me think of an *ancient* episode of the Star Trek TV series called (I think) Amok Time when the very proper Mr Spock goes all sexy and crazy. Huh. haven't watched that show in years, but I was mad for it as a teenager. I might look that episode up in netflix for a laugh. From memory it was embarrassingly bad the first time I saw it, so I can't imagine how dated it will look now LOL.

I have updated/ expanded my current favs shelf to include more and a broader range in case you guys have to go amok there. Put some 4 stars in there as well, but you know I'm a hard marker hee hee.

message 46: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments The movie is Hocus Pocus. It's a Halloween movie that's iconic here. It's about a teen who moves to the city of Salem who unwittingly releases three evil witches. It's better than I make it sound.

message 47: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Okay, I made a new shelf and narrowed it down to 79. It was hard!!!! Don't know how to give it that fancy link name, but here ya go!

I love Hocus Pocus!

message 48: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm also afraid a lot of my favs have already been read by everybody.

message 49: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments I only have about 30 on my all-time favorites shelf. Maybe I need to make a new shelf with all of my five star reads so there's more of a selection?

message 50: by Fabi (new)

Fabi | 872 comments I just looked at your list Jean and I'm going to have a hard time picking just one. Yes, I've read a lot of them but there are many more that I want to read.

I can't wait to get started.

« previous 1 3 4