Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 4: Mt. Ararat (48 books) > DGRachel's Climb-COMPLETED!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments I came close to my goal in 2017, and if I had counted books that I bailed on, particularly those that I struggled through more than 100 pages, I probably could have counted it as challenge met, but since I don't count bails on my Goodreads goal, it didn't seem right to count them here. I have a very specific plan for this year, so I think Mr. Ararat is definitely doable. :)

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Happy climbing!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Hilary S wrote: "Happy climbing!"

Thanks!! You, too!

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments First book completed - an ARC I received in November: The Philospher’s Flight by Tom Miller

The Philosopher's Flight

message 5: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book #2 completed on Sunday! The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie. It was wonderful and I’m so thrilled to have finally read it!

The Man in the Brown Suit

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments So excited! Book #3 is done.
Wilde in Love by Eloisa James

Wilde in Love

message 7: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:16AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book #4 completed: A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman. 3.5 stars

A Man Called Ove

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:16AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments I feel like I’m on a roll here. Book #5 is done: Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas. A new-to-me author whose backlist I will not be adding to my TBR.

Mine Till Midnight

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:17AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book #6 - HP and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K. Rowling. Yes, I’ve read Sorcerer’s Stone before, but I wanted to read the “original” text, too. :)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:17AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Just finished book #7 IQ by Joe Ide. I’m so disappointed. I had been looking forward to this one and the amount of profanity was excessive and distracting.

IQ

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:17AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book #8 IRON GOLD! So happy to be able to count this, even though it wasn’t released until January 16th. I’ve had it preordered since December 2016. It was worth the wait.

Iron Gold

message 12: by Rachel (last edited Jan 26, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book #9 finished, too! Since the Surrender by Julie Anne Long.

Since the Surrender

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book #10 done! I detest short stories as a general rule, but this was the next sequential book for Agatha Christie book club and my goal is to read them all as I early-inherited my mother's complete collection, even the ones that are short stories and/or feature Captain Hastings. Poirot Investigates

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book 11 finished today. Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke was such a disappointment, but at least I can take it to the used bookstore for credit. 😔

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Super excited. First mountain peak reached today by finishing The Secret of Chimneys. I know a lot of people don't care for Christie's international intrigue books, but I found this one delightful. I'm feeling pretty confident about meeting my goal this year!
The Secret of Chimneys

message 16: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Yay, great job!

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Jessika wrote: "Yay, great job!"

Thanks, Jessika!!

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Haven't updated in a few days, but I have read #13 - #16 for Mount TBR in the last week!

Loved, loved, loved The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty and of course, Penny Reid never fails to make me laugh, and I read Attraction, Heat, and Capture in under 24 hours.

The City of Brass
Attraction
Heat
Capture

message 19: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cseydel) Wow, going strong!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Finished #17 today. A Dangerous Crossing by Ausma Zehanat Khan. I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. Yes, it’s ostensibly a mystery, but it is so much more and so much more important than that. Khan’s Khattak & Getty novel’s all have elements of humanitarian issues to them and this one centers on the crisis in Syria. My heart breaks with sadness and anger and a desperate desire to do something.

The book released this year, but I preordered it last year.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments After struggling with a handful of Mount TBR titles and binging some new, lighter fare, I finally finished another TBR title today.

#18 Marriage of Inconvenience

The book released on Tuesday, but I pre-ordered it back in September of 2017.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Just finished #19 - Hellbent by Gregg Hurwitz. It’s another 2018 release, but I preordered it in November 2017. It’s the third book in the Orphan X series and was absolutely incredible. I’m so glad to be able to count this for Mount TBR.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Hooray for #20! Feeling pretty good about getting this far by March. I just finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

The Agatha Christie club on Litsy is really helping me get through my collection of Christie novels (sometimes pre-inheriting is really handy - it blew up my TBR, but my Mom's Christie collection was complete - and now they're mine, all mine. LOL)

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Waiting for car repairs gave me the chance to finish #21. Also nice that it counts for both the Book Riot Read Harder and Pop Sugar challenges. Love multitasking books! :)
The Little Prince

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #22 finished tonight: Gods of Howl Mountain by Taylor Brown. It was published 3/20/18, but I received an ARC last November. Highly recommend!

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments I'm not doing a great job of maintaining my 2 Mount TBR qualifying books to 1 non-qualifying book ratio, but March has been a rough month personally, so I'm giving myself an allowance to read whatever I am in the mood for as distraction from reality. That being said, I did finish my 23rd qualifying book Friday, so I'm almost 1/2 way up Mt. Ararat, which is beyond exciting!

The Big Four

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #24 is completed! Finished The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie. I definitely need a break from Poirot novels. He’s getting on my nerves. 😂

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Moving past Mount Blanc today with #25 - a dark, sad, bloody tale with shades of Lord of the Flies. 3.5 stars
Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #26 finished yesterday. It's a 2018 release, but I pre-ordered it last year (so very glad we can count pre-orders for this challenge, or I would be doomed!!)
Why Kill the Innocent

I love this series so much, and this was another near perfect entry.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #27 The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie.

Loved the characters in this one, but not the audiobook narrator, Emilia Fox. I had to finish this one in print because she annoyed me so much!

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #28. Twisted Prey by John Sandford. This is another 2018 release that I pre-ordered last year.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #29. Finally finished The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. I think it's safe to say that Russian Literature is not for me. It took three months to get through this. I was supposed to do a buddy read of Crime & Punishment last month, but couldn't do it while I was reading Bulgakov. I think C&P will wallow on my TBR for at least another year. The thought of another Russian in translation makes me ill.
The Master and Margarita

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #30 finished on my birthday! Hooray! Macbeth by Jo Nesbo is a 2018 release that I preordered in 2017 and I highly recommend it, both to fans of the original Shakespearean play and Nordic Noir.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #31 done. The Shining

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Finished #32
A highly enjoyable romp through Victorian England.
A Curious Beginning

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #33 I’m sorry I didn’t preorder the third book so that it would count for Mount TBR, as the second was so much fun I want to grab the third right away!A Perilous Undertaking

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #34 I started this in print last year and abandoned it to read other things. I'm so glad I picked it back up this year and powered through it. This may just be my new favorite Stephen King.Duma Key

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Steadily climbing, even if I haven’t kept to my initial goal of two TBR books for every one new book this year. Just finished #35 - The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #36 - Another Agatha Christie checked off the list. :)

The Murder at the Vicarage

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #37 - Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb. So glad to finally finish this one and kicking myself for letting it sit on my bookshelf for so long! Can’t wait to read the rest of The Farseer Trilogy!

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments My 100th book of the year, but sadly only #38 for MountTBR.

Audiobook of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I originally read the book in high school, but have wanted to reread for ages. I bought one audiobook version in 2012 and a second in 2016. Glad to finally check this reread off my list. :) Counting for MountTBR because it is a different format than what I read 30 years ago.

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #39 - Dear Fahrenheit 451 by Annie Spence

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments FINALLY got through another book for Mount TBR. I've been really bad lately, making a bunch of library requests, including all of the available Man Booker Long List titles, in addition to quite a few NetGalley books that are nearing/missed publication dates, so my Mount TBR quest has suffered. But, #40 is done. Hooray for another Agatha Christie. This was one where I liked the characters, but didn't like the solution to the mystery, so I fear I was rather disappointed, but I look forward to next month and the next Agatha Christie. Joining the Agatha Christie Club on Litsy was a smart move, as it is really pushing me to get through her catalog and clear out my TBR of her titles.
The Sittaford Mystery

message 44: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 109 comments I'm in the same boat Rachel...August I've hardly progressed at all. You're getting close to the top of the mountain. Only 8 left with 4 months, you can do it!

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Pamela wrote: "I'm in the same boat Rachel...August I've hardly progressed at all. You're getting close to the top of the mountain. Only 8 left with 4 months, you can do it!"

Thanks for the extra encouragement, Pamela!!

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #41 Third time was the charm to get through this one. I know there is a lot of love for this series, but I did not enjoy the book at all and I seriously doubt that I will pick up the second book, even though I already own it. SJM is just not for me. A Court of Thorns and Roses

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Book #42 completed! I'm slowly making my way through Agatha Christie's entire set of books, but I'm discovering that the more I read, the less I like Hercule Poirot.

Peril at End House

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Rachel wrote: "Book #42 completed! I'm slowly making my way through Agatha Christie's entire set of books, but I'm discovering that the more I read, the less I like Hercule Poirot.

Peril at End House"

Oh thank heavens - someone else that isn't keen on Poirot!

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Book #42 completed! I'm slowly making my way through Agatha Christie's entire set of books, but I'm discovering that the more I read, the less I like Hercule Poirot.

[book:Peril at ..."

LOL! It's always nice to find someone who shares one's opinion!!

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (dgrachel) | 60 comments #43 Edgar Allen Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Madness, illustrated by Gris Grimly

I bought this collection of Poe short stories two years ago and it was my first October Halloween themed read. I’d read one of the short stories before, ages ago, but the rest of the collection was new to me and the illustrations are phenomenal. I can’t wait to read the other collection I bought at the same time. Delightfully gruesome.

« previous 1