Science Fiction Microstory Contest discussion

JANUARY 2018 MICROSTORY CONTEST - COMMENTS ONLY

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments This string is for comments only. Please refer to the story string for contest rules and requirements.

message 2: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments I hope you enjoy my theme and requirements for January. I thought we'd give a tip of the top hat to New Year's Eve/Day, and also a more obscure tip of the space helmet to a SF anthology:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Happy writing!

message 3: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments In case it is not clear, "My Nemesis" of the theme refers to the personal nemesis of the protagonist of your story, not mine (of which there are many) ;)

Hopefully, Guy Lombardo is self-explanatory (if not, check youtube to see him in action), as are New Year's resolutions. :)

message 4: by C. (last edited Dec 28, 2017 11:53AM) (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments I imagine an evil Guy Lombardo from an alternate timeline would be a formidable nemesis indeed! And armed with a sharpened baton, he'd be the perfect fencing adversary!

Do I have the general idea? : )

-C

message 5: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments Guy Lombardo could certainly be a nemesis, but any personal nemesis will do. Your idea sounds fun. Go for it :)

The idea of the elements is to impart a New Year flavor to a story whose theme involves a personal nemesis of the protagonist.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Mine's up.

Thank you, Marianne, for a very interesting and challenging topic and elements. I had fun with this one.

message 7: by C. (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments OMG Tom,

I laughed so hard I almost plotzed. Well done!

-C

message 8: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments Tom: Glad you rose to the challenge! :)

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Thank you, C. (I don't even want to know what 'plotzed' means.)

Thanks again, Marianne.

message 10: by C. (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments plotz

[plots]
Plotzed.
verb (used without object)Slang.

to collapse or faint, as from surprise, excitement, or exhaustion.

message 11: by C. (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments Sounds worse than it is, eh?

message 12: by G.C. (new)

G.C. Groover | 78 comments Great story Tom. No plotzing here but I actually laughed out loud. Which never happens :-)

message 13: by Kalifer (new)

Kalifer Deil | 301 comments Mine's up. No plotzing please.

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Thank you, G.C. Always happy to provide a laugh. Yours was moving as well as thought-provoking.

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Good story, Kalifer. Interesting set-up and great visuals.

message 16: by C. (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments Mine's up!

-C

message 17: by G.C. (new)

G.C. Groover | 78 comments Thanks Tom. Also more great stories from Kalifer, Jason, and C. It's very cool to see the different directions taken by each author from the same seed. I try not to read any stories until I have finished mine so I'm not influenced by anyone's ideas. And then I read the stories and say, hey - why didn't I think of that!

message 18: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments G.C. wrote: "Thanks Tom. Also more great stories from Kalifer, Jason, and C. It's very cool to see the different directions taken by each author from the same seed. I try not to read any stories until I have fi..."

Good strategy.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments Chris! Great story!

message 20: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments Tom, very creative!

I'm sad to say I had to Google Guy Lombardo. No idea who he was. Now I have to figure out my story...

message 21: by C. (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments My reviews are up. Great crop of stories so far!

We need some more reviews and reviewers, folks--new voices, new perspectives, and new attitudes! A different point of view is one of the most valuable things you might offer another writer. (Cash and bitcoins are pretty good too. . .)

Who is going to be a review contributor to help their fellow writer brothers and sisters this month? And no lame excuses--it's too cold to leave the house and go to work anyway! (14 degrees here.)

-C

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments I'm in my TARDIS doing voiceover...

message 23: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Justin wrote: "Tom, very creative!

I'm sad to say I had to Google Guy Lombardo. No idea who he was. Now I have to figure out my story..."

Thanks, Justin. I googled him, myself. Thank God for YouTube.

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Justin wrote: "I'm in my TARDIS doing voiceover..."

Jelly babies all 'round?

message 25: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments C. wrote: "My reviews are up. Great crop of stories so far!

We need some more reviews and reviewers, folks--new voices, new perspectives, and new attitudes! A different point of view is one of the most valua..."

Here, here!

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Nance | 437 comments Justin wrote: "Chris! Great story!"

Thanks Justin! I appreciate it! :)

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris Nance | 437 comments Justin wrote: "Tom, very creative!

I'm sad to say I had to Google Guy Lombardo. No idea who he was. Now I have to figure out my story..."

Don't feel too bad Justin! So did I - lol! ;D

message 28: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments I reel from the knowledge that Guy Lombardo has drifted away into obscurity. After Lombardo's death, it was Dick Clark that took his place as the reigning king of New Year. How long before his memory drifts away into obscurity too, one wonders.

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris Nance | 437 comments Marianne wrote: "I reel from the knowledge that Guy Lombardo has drifted away into obscurity. After Lombardo's death, it was Dick Clark that took his place as the reigning king of New Year. How long before his memo..."

It's funny because I didn't see the New Year's reference in the bio I read. Now, the reference/required element makes a lot of sense.

message 30: by C. (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments Marianne wrote: "I reel from the knowledge that Guy Lombardo has drifted away into obscurity. After Lombardo's death, it was Dick Clark that took his place as the reigning king of New Year. How long before his memo..."

Who?

: D

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments Hello fellow authors! My first audio book has gone live on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Adult-ADHD-Com...

It is only a short 33 minute production, but nevertheless it is now out in the wide world. You can click on the Audible sample under the picture of the book to hear a short sample.

I'm not sure what ACX quality control did to my audio, but I sound like I'm on an AM radio. They must have had their reasons. Anyway, the first blow has been struck!!

Now if I could just come up with a good story for this month!!

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula | 864 comments Nice going, Justin! Bravo for this!

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments Thanks Paula!

message 34: by Greg (new)

Greg Krumrey (gkrumrey) | 178 comments It is Guy Lombard's radio broadcast that is the inspiration for my story. If you can travel in space, you can travel in time.

message 35: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Marianne wrote: "I reel from the knowledge that Guy Lombardo has drifted away into obscurity. After Lombardo's death, it was Dick Clark that took his place as the reigning king of New Year. How long before his memo..."

I'm sure Mr. Lombardo would have appreciated the tribute, Marianne.

message 36: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments Still pondering the challenge I set :)

message 37: by C. (last edited Jan 16, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments Marianne,

Allow me to assist you.

Possible Guy Lombardo scenarios:

1. Evil Guy destroys civilization by embedding evil voices, singing nasty messages backwards, in his music.
2. Guy, while racing his boat, is picked up by a flying saucer levitation ray.
3. Guy is really an evil genius who figures out how to corner the market in New Year's Eve. music and his progeny goes on to build a Guy Lombardo bobble head empire.
4. Guy Lombardo is really a code to activate a hidden Nazi assassin network in the USA, but they forgot about it until just now, and all the assisted living centers suddenly become nests of enemy activity.
5. Guy is an accomplished fencing master who uses a sharpened baton to befuddle detectives investigating a large number of mysteriously and fatally punctured victims.
6. Guy Lombardo is an immortal alien entity who now occupies the body of Steve Bannon.

Happy to help! These are all potential 5 swizzle-stick winners! : )

-C

message 38: by Greg (new)

Greg Krumrey (gkrumrey) | 178 comments Steve Bannon is immortal? Oh shit.

message 39: by G.C. (new)

G.C. Groover | 78 comments C. wrote: "4. Guy Lombardo is really a code to activate a hidden Nazi assassin network in the USA, but they forgot about it until just now, and all the assisted living centers suddenly become nests of enemy activity."

This is brilliant.

message 40: by Marianne (last edited Jan 17, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments C: Pondering is not the same as lost for ideas ;) Too many crowd my brain, but I took a more traditional route as real life is currently somewhat crazy around me.

However, a clone of Guy Lombardo possessed by Bannon might be crazier still ;)

message 41: by C. (last edited Jan 17, 2018 02:05PM) (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments Does too much cogitation grow hair on your head?

Is a sharpened baton considered a deadly weapon or just a lead-less pencil?

I wonder about these things. . . : )

-C

message 42: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments C: It would be nice if too much thinking at least made my hair thicker

message 43: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments Karl and Marianne, I really enjoyed both of your stories. Very creative and touching. Well done!!!

message 44: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mariannegpetrino) | 352 comments Thanks, Justin :)

message 45: by C. (new)

C. Lloyd Preville (clpreville) | 735 comments Nice story, Justin!

Water skiing there would be a rush, huh? : )

-C

message 46: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments C. wrote: "Nice story, Justin!

Water skiing there would be a rush, huh? : )

-C"

Yeah...it would make Jaws look like a dip in a kiddie pool. Thanks C!

message 47: by Jot (new)

Jot Russell | 1143 comments Mod
Nice job Justin. I made a post about it on facebook. Good luck...

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin Sewall | 989 comments Thanks Jot!

message 49: by Jot (new)

Jot Russell | 1143 comments Mod
Mine is up. Based on a story that was actually a catalyst for me creating this contest. Hope you enjoy it.

message 50: by Tom (new)

Tom Olbert | 1030 comments Jot wrote: "Mine is up. Based on a story that was actually a catalyst for me creating this contest. Hope you enjoy it."

I did.

« previous 1