2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Rachel Reads Regularly - 36 book goal

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Apr 13, 2018 12:10PM) (new)

Rachel (desalyseanada) This past year I wanted to get back into reading regularly as a hobby, so I set my goal at 12 books, or one book a month. I ended up changing my goal a few months in to 24 books, or two books a month. I've read a bit over my goal! Next year, I want to add one book per month in order to read 36 total.

Here are some of the books I look forward to reading:

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
Because this is technically a trilogy (despite my edition being one physical book) and very lengthy, I will most likely count it as three separate books and start out my year right.

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin
I plan on scattering the rest of the Game of Thrones series (that's been published, anyway) through the year to satiate me until the next season airs!

The Count Of Monte Cristo (Unabridged) by Alexandre Dumas Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Sprinkle my year with some classics I haven't read yet...

Rayuela by Julio Cortázar El alquimista by Paulo Coelho Cien años de soledad by Gabriel García Márquez
And few Spanish-language novels (I'm terrified of Rayuela... it's a difficult read, I haven't made it past page 50 in the past. I'll try to find some easier reads in Spanish to get in the groove.)

Those are my definite goals to read this year, and I'll also participate in a book club or two to give me fun reads and give more variation!

I'll update my progress in my corner.

message 2: by Susy (last edited Dec 27, 2017 12:30PM) (new)

Susy (susysstories) Rachel wrote: "This past year I wanted to get back into reading regularly as a hobby, so I set my goal at 12 books, or one book a month. I ended up changing my goal a few months in to 24 books, or two books a month. I've read a bit over my goal! ..."

Exactly the same happened to me Rachel! It feels so good to be back into reading doesn’t it?
Wishing you the best of luck with your new goal and above all I wish you a very happy reading year!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (desalyseanada) Susy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "This past year I wanted to get back into reading regularly as a hobby, so I set my goal at 12 books, or one book a month. I ended up changing my goal a few months in to 24 books, or ..."

Yes, it's fantastic! High school and college messed me up for a few years, I'm so glad to be past reading exclusively academically! :)

message 4: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 459 comments Rachel wrote: "This past year I wanted to get back into reading regularly as a hobby, so I set my goal at 12 books, or one book a month. I ended up changing my goal a few months in to 24 books, or two books a mon..."

Good goals! Good for you for challenging yourself with another language! I'm shooting for 36 also!

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (desalyseanada) Lindsay wrote: "Good goals! Good for you for challenging yourself with another language! I'm shooting for 36 also! "

Love it! My boyfriend is from Ecuador and is dying to discuss more Latin American literature with me, so I've really got to step up lol

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Good Luck with your goal in 2018!

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 55 comments Good luck with your goal!

message 8: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!

message 9: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Rachel wrote: "Susy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "This past year I wanted to get back into reading regularly as a hobby, so I set my goal at 12 books, or one book a month. I ended up changing my goal a few months in to ...
Yes, it's fantastic! High school and college messed me up for a few years, I'm so glad to be past reading exclusively academically! :) "

How is it going so far Rachel?

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Two months down ten to go! I hope March is a success for you.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (desalyseanada) This month was rough. I started looking for a new job so between working full time, attending regular chiropractor sessions, and my job search, I fell short. Luckily I read extra in January and February, so I'm still pretty much on track! :)

message 12: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. LI hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (desalyseanada) Blagica wrote: "A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. LI hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?"

1Q84 instantly became a top 5 books I've read in my life. I'd recommend it to anyone!

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments awesome!

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May!

message 16: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!!