CanadianContent discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives 2016-2020 > Canada Reads Meet Up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 217 (217 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3531 comments Mod
A place to plan for a meet up for Canada Reads!

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments YES!!!

message 3: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments So what are the dates and how do we get tickets. Looking to come to Toronto and need to book flights and hotel.

message 4: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Yay, I'm IN!!

message 5: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye | 411 comments Why should those east coasters have all the fun? It seems to me that there are enough of us living on the west coast that we could arrange for a meet up of our own, if anyone is interested. Petra I hope you would be up for it, and Storyheart lives in Vancouver.I think a few others too.
If not for Canada Reads than certainly for one of the writing festivals,theres a few authors I would love to see and hear, even more than the competition and spectacle pf CR. And I hear Lori Anderson is coming early spring!
I find I have a lot of leftover feelings regarding this years debacle.
I was sad to discover it's more about the personality of the defenders than the merit of the novels. And I'm still wondering what was that about all those references to Margaret Atwood's empty table. Did she boycott the event?
I hope that this delay is because they are cleaning up their act after the sloppy and disappointing fracas of the most recent

message 6: by Alan (last edited Dec 27, 2017 03:09PM) (new)

Alan | 542 comments I used to love Canada Reads and I still follow the book selection,but I find the arguing very unpleasant as is the rudeness of some of the participants on the panel. I know this is what draws in the audience like reality tv,but it’s too aggressive. Still I will be game to meet if we can arrange something.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments Maybe those near the GTA could get a table at next year`s Read for the Cure event

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments I agree with @Alan -- I too get uncomfortable with some of the aggressiveness of Canada Reads. However, in general I absolutely love it, and will definitely be joining in Toronto again this year. We went to the closing day that year, and it was a ton of fun.

You can sign up for tickets online at some point -- maybe when the shortlist is announced? I got two last year; I don't know what the max is. If we knew how many people were going to go, a few of us who can get online right when it opens could grab enough tickets, hopefully.

@Shannon, what's Read for the Cure??

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments Read for the Cure is an author night event...not sure if it has to do with only one publishing house or many.... it is 3 authors, some snacks, and 3 books to take home. I believe tickets are around $100 and proceeds go to Cancer research. There were 2 events in Toronto last year, both `downtown`` as far as us suburban people go....

Last year`s line up - http://www.readforthecure.ca/toronto-...

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments P.S. THere is one in Vancouver for you west coast folks. :)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments Well if we're doing regional meet-ups, don't forget us here in the "far east!" There are a few of us here in the Atlantic provinces.

message 12: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Well if we're doing regional meet-ups, don't forget us here in the "far east!" There are a few of us here in the Atlantic provinces."

The Woody Point Festival would be a great meet up place!!

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara (taramora) | 38 comments Allison wrote: "I agree with @Alan -- I too get uncomfortable with some of the aggressiveness of Canada Reads. However, in general I absolutely love it, and will definitely be joining in Toronto again this year. W..."

Hi Allison, I'm Tara from CBC Books. Tickets will be available on January 30th, when we announce the final five books.

message 14: by ✿✿✿May (last edited Jan 08, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Tara wrote: "Allison wrote: "I agree with @Alan -- I too get uncomfortable with some of the aggressiveness of Canada Reads. However, in general I absolutely love it, and will definitely be joining in Toronto ag..."

@Tara, that's great you are on this group! We will likely have 6-8 people attending this year's event, so a little "advance notification" will be amazing!

message 15: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments Should be fun - hope to make it!

message 16: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 406 comments I was kind of hoping with the delay in announcing the long list, the actual event would be later than usual so I could attend, but as I am just getting home form Australia on March 22, I don't think I will be able to join you. 2019 for sure though!

message 17: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I was kind of hoping with the delay in announcing the long list, the actual event would be later than usual so I could attend, but as I am just getting home form Australia on March 22, I don't thin..."

@Heather, that would be really amazing for you to join us in 2019! But come on, I'd rather be in Australia :)

message 18: by ❀ Susan (last edited Jan 08, 2018 09:22PM) (new)

so excited about the meet up - thanks Tara for that information! Canada Reads is definately a book highlight of the year!!

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I'm planning a business trip to Mississauga at the end of March (hehehe), and figured I could take in a Canada Reads show. So have we picked a day for our group? I would like to go to the finale on Thursday.

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments I vote final day.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1633 comments I am so jealous of you all!

message 22: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 91 comments Hi everyone, if timing allows, I would love to join in on the CBC Canada Reads event meet up. Sounds like fun!

message 23: by ❀ Susan (new)

My vote is for the final day also!

message 24: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "My vote is for the final day also!"

I would love to go to any day i can get tickets too. Multiple days works. Lol

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments Is it very difficult to get tickets? I'm booking my dogs at the sitters and planning a business trip so I can be in Toronto on the 29th but I want to be sure to be able to get 2 tickets.

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments I got tickets online as soon as they were announced last year. I got two, and at the same time I think Susan got two. It didn't seem to be a mad rush, but I would recommend trying right away, as soon as it's announced. It is not assigned seating, so you're just going for numbers.

Maybe we can do a count near the end of the month, and then people with access can go online asap to get them for the whole group. (I'm not sure if I can or not!)

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments By the way, I just spoke to Sarah, and she's going to come too!

message 28: by ✿✿✿May (last edited Jan 09, 2018 05:51PM) (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments @Allison, we have @Tara in our group. Hopefully she'll give us heads up :)

We have @Susan, @Allison, @rRainey, @Louise, @Kim, @Cynthia, @Sarah, myself. Anyone else? @Emmkay? @Alan?

message 29: by ❀ Susan (new)

So exciting!!! Last year@May was able to get tickets for @Kim and I so you must be able to get more than 2.

message 30: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments My other sister Kristin may come again this year. She joined us last year. I’ll ask her.

message 31: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments The more, the merrier!!

message 32: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments Awesome! It is possible I'll be tied up with work on the 29th but hopefully I will now before the end of the month.

message 33: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments May wrote: "@Allison, we have @Tara in our group. Hopefully she'll give us heads up :)

We have @Susan, @Allison, @rRainey, @Louise, @Kim, @Cynthia, @Sarah, myself. Anyone else? @Emmkay? @Alan?"

So we are adding Kristin, Louise, Maia, that 11 for the finale as of today :)

message 34: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments May wrote: "May wrote: "@Allison, we have @Tara in our group. Hopefully she'll give us heads up :)

We have @Susan, @Allison, @rRainey, @Louise, @Kim, @Cynthia, @Sarah, myself. Anyone else? @Emmkay? @Alan?"

S..."

Cool. If the numbers change let me know. I will look to be bringing my famous canada reads mugs.

message 35: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments I think you’re counting me twice?

message 36: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Oops!! Yes, so 10 at this point?

message 37: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 251 comments Add me in for now - I should know for sure by the end of the month!

message 38: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1171 comments We need to get “Canadian Content” tshirts made! We might get on TV lol.

message 39: by ❀ Susan (new)

Lol - @Louise - I was thinking about that too

message 40: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 566 comments I wish I could join you all!! Such fun!

message 41: by ❀ Susan (new)

We wish that you could too but at least you can watch for us on tv!

message 42: by Rainey (last edited Jan 14, 2018 04:37PM) (new)

Rainey | 639 comments T shirts sound like a great idea.

V neck please.

message 43: by Mj (new)

Mj May wrote: "Oops!! Yes, so 10 at this point?"

May, I think you were correct at 11 -

2nd line @Susan, @Allison, @rRainey, @Louise, @Kim, @Cynthia, @Sarah, myself = 8 excluding ?'s

1st line Tara (excluding Allison a duplicate) = 1

3rd line Kristin & Maia (excluding Louise duplicate) = 2

8+1+2 = 11

You may be 12 now with Emmkay's count me in comment.

What's the cut-off date to let you know? After January 30th - say Feb 15th so Rainey can get the mugs made? Is there a get together planned the night before? A simple meet somewhere?

Bet you'll all be on tv or in a photo if everyone's carrying one of Rainey's famous mugs!! :-) Sounds like a fun outing. Very tempting to drive in!!

message 44: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments To add to this list of people coming -- my sister Kristin. She came with me, Susan and May last year. Please count her in as well.

message 45: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Allison wrote: "To add to this list of people coming -- my sister Kristin. She came with me, Susan and May last year. Please count her in as well."

@Allison, I included Sarah & Kristin :)
@Mj, Tara is not included. She works for CBC books and reached out to us about tickets inquiry.
So with Maia and Emmkay joining, we now should have 11 of us :)

message 46: by Allison (new)

Allison | 1906 comments Eleven!?! That is SO FUN!

message 47: by Mj (new)

Mj May wrote: "Allison wrote: "To add to this list of people coming -- my sister Kristin. She came with me, Susan and May last year. Please count her in as well."

@Allison, I included Sarah & Kristin :)
@Mj, Tar..."

I knew Tara worked for the CBC. I thought she was getting the tickets for you and sitting with the group......just didn't want anyone expecting a ticket to miss out.

Cut-off date??? Night before get-together???

message 48: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 639 comments Cool. Well let me know about Tara.

As soon as the short list comes out i will work on the mugs.

I am so so excited.

message 49: by ❀ Susan (new)

@Rainey - It is so great that you can coordinate your visit to Toronto and I will cherish a mug! I am so excited that both you and @Louise will travel from a distance. It should be such a fun day and we will have to sort out some lunch plans for after the event. If anyone knows a place with a private room or a quiet spot that we can all meet, please make suggestions!

message 50: by Mj (last edited Jan 14, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

Mj If I'm able to come (fingers crossed and particularly hoping for a get together the night before or the night of the last day). For sure I will pay for my mug. You have been very generous with your Secret Santa gifts and surprise gifts. Have always been impressed with what a great job you do of the mugs and wouldn't want to take advantage of your generous nature. Hoping it's a fabulous trip for you, although with some sad and reflective moments I suspect.

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.