The Liturgists discussion

Books To Read in 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Cole (tacole) | 2 comments I need to do some research, but I’d really like to start the year with at least one solid book about meditation/centering prayer. So if anyone has recommendations, I’d appreciate them! And if anyone wants to join me, that would be great. :)

message 2: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Wilson | 2 comments Mod
RE: Taylor’s idea... I’m planning on reading Thomas Merton’s New Seeds of Contemplation this year, happy to make it first if others want to join! From what Merton I’ve previously read it can be a little dense, but I’ve found it tremendously enriching.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Cole (tacole) | 2 comments I’d love to read New Seeds of Contemplation!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Oh, I missed this thread! Generally I'm going to try use this check list to ensure I get a decent amount of variety (goodreads supports html, right?)

I'm not planning on 52 books. I like to set my goals low.

I have like 5 books in my Kindle app that I still need to finish, but just borrowed Lamb to read next based on the enthusiastic recommendation from that recent Conversations episode.

message 5: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Wilson | 2 comments Mod
Lamb is SO great. Read it a few years back and loved it.

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 3 comments Taylor - “How God Changes Your Brain” is really good! There are sections about prayer that are great.

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 3 comments I also recently found this Facebook book club group that y’all might like...it’s called “Theology Book Club for Deconstruction/Reconstruction”, and they’re reading a book a month. This months book is “Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God” by Brian Zahnd. I’m for sure going to jump in in March when they read Science Mike’s book, and in April when they read Pete Enn’s “For the Bible Tells Me So.” Its a secret group so I can’t figure out how to share the link here, but I can invite y’all via Facebook if anyone is interested!

message 8: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 3 comments And my reading plans for 2018...are to follow my heart, haha. Trying to read more feministy books, but also try to tie in some amount of spirituality. I heavily deconstructed last year and don’t really know what direction to go next. So here’s to a
2018 of reading and learning and exploring!