Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Where Can I Promote My Book? > Are Blog Tours Dead?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dale (last edited Dec 27, 2017 06:51AM) (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1701 comments Or merely dying?

I've been following the very helpful advice I've received here in preparation for release of my next mystery novel, Ice on the Bay. (Thank you, folks!) I have an ARC ready for distribution and have put the book on pre-sale at Amazon. I will be setting it up for pre-sale on my publisher's site, too, so people can pre-order the book in all formats. (B&N doesn't seem to offer this feature.) My planned release date is 2/26/2018.

I've also been researching potential reviewers for a blog tour, but I've run into a not entirely unexpected problem: a great many of them don't do blog tours anymore. Some explicitly state this, and others won't guarantee any particular time frame for posting a review. Some are so swamped with requests that they won't promise a review at all, while others have stopped taking requests altogether. Some only take requests through publicists and publishers or through specific services.

Basically, it seems impossible to schedule a blog tour. In 2014 Publisher's Weekly did an article on the subject which suggested starting to plan for the tour 3 months in advance, while a resource they linked to said to query bloggers 3 weeks in advance. That seems awfully tight to me. I don't think one can have much success in setting up a tour unless one can query bloggers 4 to 6 months in advance, and even then it's dicey because so few bloggers seem willing to commit to a time frame.

My thought at this point is a 2-pronged attack. First, go to people who already know me or my work and ask for reviews. I can request them be done before the release date if possible, but not press for that. A review after release is better than no review at all. Second, submit to a number of bloggers who are open to mysteries by indie authors and ask them for a review without stipulating when (although letting them know the release date). I'm pretty sure that most reviewers will reject any request that asks for a review on or by a specific date, especially one that is less than two months away.

I'd be interested in thoughts anyone has on any of this, or in hearing the experience of anyone who has recently (say, in the last 6 months) tried to set up a blog tour. Thanks!

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
I booked all of Michael's blog tours in early sept- for his book which we released Oct 13th. I planned that as each one was in it's last few days- a new one started and we had them going until the first week of dec. His book stayed in the top 100 and hovers in and out- I am not advertising this books- Only the publisher does that- but he agreed that I would arrange the blog tours. We got a number of honest reviews out of it. We used Sue Barton, Enchanted, Rock Star,Pump up your book, Kate Tilton,Bewitching. Google your genre and see what comes up with blog tours.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 210 comments I have done two blog tours and am in the middle of a third. I used Susan Barton and Goddess Fish Promotions, but my tours didn't include a review. While I didn't do as well as Carole, I have been pleased with the results. I have had a slight uptick in sales. I also saw an increase in followers on twitter and facebook. I had no problems in scheduling a tour that was about a month to six weeks out.

message 4: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
I forgot goddess fishes. They had the best reach

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 210 comments I would have to agree. My stop on Jan 2nd is an Italian host. Most of the site is in Italian.

https://libreriabeppe.blogspot.it/

message 6: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1701 comments Thanks, folks. I'll keep digging, but I'm finding it a frustrating experience. I started with a list of 50 possible blogs. Out of those, maybe 5 look like actual possibilities, nearly half are no longer accepting queries, and none of them want the author to suggest a date to post reviews. First come, first served or "in a few months" seems to be the rule of thumb. Maybe I've been looking under all the wrong rocks, of course, but Googling anything in the book world about mysteries yields several tons of results. It's among the more popular genres. Which I guess is a mixed blessing for a mystery writer. ;-)

message 7: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1701 comments Having reviewed the helpful information provided here and done some research and dealt with more medical annoyances, I now have a blog tour in the works with Goddess Fish.

My original post arose from the expectation that I could organize a tour myself. Not having a lot of money to throw around, I was trying to avoid paying someone else to do what I could do myself. But It doesn't look like that is at all easy to do anymore, and may be almost impossible to do effectively.

I've requested the standard book tour package, 10 stops over 2 weeks starting February 18th. We'll see how it goes.

I'll have a few other things going on ahead of that time, including a character interview Denise is planning to post with my main detective, Rick Peller and (I hope) a guest post on writing flash fiction at Indies Unlimited. If anyone here has a blog and could use an author interview, character interview, guest post, photos of me making funny faces, etc., please let me know. I'll be happy to give you some content.

Thanks!

message 8: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 861 comments Superdead.

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Quinn | 46 comments Can anyone recommend blog tours for memoirs and non-fiction?

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 19 comments I really hope not, but at the same time, am not surprised. It always seemed like something that could get too much for people. Especially with the large amount of requests they'd get.

message 11: by Anna (last edited Feb 03, 2018 01:42AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1117 comments I hope they're not dead! I've just done an author interview for Groovy's blog. And she has other members of our group on there too.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 244 comments I don't blog as much as I should and I've certainly hardly ever taken part in them but if decent ones still exist I'd take part in them. They can't be any worse than Book Tours which are even worse IMO and the ones I took part in were very lackluster.

message 13: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Burrows | 4 comments Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this - it’s something I’m looking into as well.

message 14: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1701 comments See my "Ice on the Bay Virtual Tour" topic under the "Shout It Out: Promotions" folder. I'll post updates there as we go along.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread