YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Roomies
This topic is about Roomies
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Roomies by Christina Lauren - Restarting August 13th 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Marriages of convenience are so…inconvenient.

Rescued by Calvin McLoughlin from a would-be subway attacker, Holland Bakker pays the brilliant musician back by pulling some of her errand-girl strings and getting him an audition with a big-time musical director. When the tryout goes better than even Holland could have imagined, Calvin is set for a great entry into Broadway—until he admits his student visa has expired and he’s in the country illegally.

Holland impulsively offers to wed the Irishman to keep him in New York, her growing infatuation a secret only to him. As their relationship evolves from awkward roommates to besotted lovers, Calvin becomes the darling of Broadway. In the middle of the theatrics and the acting-not-acting, what will it take for Holland and Calvin to realise that they both stopped pretending a long time ago?

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Hi Beatrice, I'm going to read this book today, a day ahead of our schedule. I hope you don't mind :)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Go ahead, Rachmi! I'll catch up on you. 😉

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Go ahead, Rachmi! I'll catch up on you. 😉"

Thank you Beatrice! I may not read a lot though, since it's already evening here :)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakker, the thing is here in Indonesia there's famous bakery chain called Holland Bakery :D

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakker, the thing is here in Indonesia there's famous bakery chain called Holland Bakery :D

"

LOL!! Btw, the pastries there looks yummy! 😍😍😍

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakker, the thing is here in Indonesia there's famous bakery chain called Holland Bak..."

They are! There're lots of new bakery shop here these days, one of them is JCO. I think JCO has branches in the Philippines too? I remember my friend Billie said that she loves JCO. Anyway even when there are lots of new bakery shop, this Holland Bakery is still stand strong and my mom's favorite. Their lemon cake is sooooo yummy. Now I'm hungry and want that one hahaha

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakker, the thing is here in Indonesia there's famous bakery chain c..."

There's JCo here in the Philippines. I love their donuts (the one covered with pistachio nuts!) I prefer it over Krispy Kreme lol. omg now I'm craving nyahaha

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakker, the thing is here in Indonesia there's famous..."

That's the one I love the most too! I don't quite like Krispy Kreme either. It's too sweet for my liking. Have you tried their yogurt? love them too :) I may or may not stop at the mall to buy a dozen of JCo donuts later ;)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakker, the thing is here in Indones..."

I agree with you on Krispy Kreme! I find it too sweet and I almost got tonsilitis when I ate their doughnuts lol. I have 't tried their yogurt, I'll try it when I drop by. 😛

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakker, the thing is ..."

Ouch! No more Krispy Kreme for you then. Do you have Bread Talk too? Usually where there's JCo, there's Bread Talk too, I think it's because both are owned by the same owner. Bread Talk more like Holland Bakery, so I should mention it to compare them both in the first place, not to JCo :)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. So Holland Bakk..."

I really like Bread Talk. Their pastries are stuffy and rich with flavors. I tasted one of their breads (my mom bought this buttery and creamy bread idk what it's called) and it melts on my mouth. Pretty yummy! But I prefer French Baker. I'm obsessed with their Garlic Bread and Walnut Bread.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holland Lina Bakker. ..."

I don't think we have French Baker here, never heard of them before. But we have Tous Les Jours, it's a South Korea bakery, I think. I love it, prefer it than Bread Talk. They apple pie is to die for, well...at least to me :)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

Chapter 1 - 3 (view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her full name is Holl..."

I've tried Tous Les Jours but the branch here in the Philippines isn't really good and too expensive.. I prefer The French Baker :p

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "I cannot help not to Lol to the heroine's name. Her fu..."

Now I want to try The French Baker too. I wish we have them here. And yes, Tous Les Jours is quite expensive here too.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

Chapter 1 - 3 [spoilers removed]"

IKR! That's what my first thought!

Oh, I thought you're all well and don't have to go to the doctor anymore. Hope everything is okay.

message 20: by Beatrice (last edited Jan 24, 2018 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

Oh, I thought you're all well and don't have t..."

I'm doing better but my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist. Got my thyroid checked and there are 2 small nodules found. Thank goodness no treatment is required. I just have to get it checked after 6mos to see if it'll disappear, minimize or enlarge. I also have to monitor my sugar level, lmao

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments I have a checkup next week (hopefully my last). I'm on medication for a week.

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 17 (view spoiler)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

Oh, I thought you're all well a..."

It sounds serious! But I'm glad it doesn't need treatment and now monitoring your sugar level should be easier, compare if you have to get treatment, I think?

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

Oh, I thought you're all well a..."

It sounds serious! But I'm glad it doesn't need treatment and now monitoring your sugar level should be easier, compare if you have to get treatment, I think?

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beginning of chapter 19 (view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

Oh, I thought ..."

The doctor said it's only mild and there's nothing to worry about. She also advised me not to be stressed because it can be a factor. Monitoring my sugar level is easier. No softdrinks and limit rice servings (cries for rice)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

..."

It's good it's only mind. No soft drink sounds not that hard either, well...at least for me, I don't quite like soft drink. But limit rice servings is definitely hard. We Asians seem love rice too much hahaha

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Just started this while on queue for a doctor's appointment

IKR! That's what my..."

Not much a fan of softdrinks so it's okay. I can have 1 cup of rice or 1/4 cup every meal. Damn, I cannot enjoy restaurants with unlimited rice meals. 😭 I can finish 1-2 1/2 cups in one sitting but not anymore because my sugar level is on boundary smh

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Chapter 4 - 6 (view spoiler)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Beatrice wrote: "Chapter 4 - 6 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Chapter 4 - 6 [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

I'm excited for upcoming cutie moments 😍

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Chapter 24 (view spoiler)

Rachmi  | 4945 comments Finished! There are things I want to talk between chapter 24 to 28 but then I couldn't stop reading it, even just for updating my status Lol. So I think I just have to sum it up now.

(view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Chapter 4 - 8 (view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Chapter 9 - 14 (view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Chapter 24 [spoilers removed]"

I laughed so hard on this part (view spoiler)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5353 comments Rachmi wrote: "Finished! There are things I want to talk between chapter 24 to 28 but then I couldn't stop reading it, even just for updating my status Lol. So I think I just have to sum it up now.

1) In the be..."

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 19th of March 2018

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 46575 comments Mod
Around 75% (view spoiler)

Holland (view spoiler)

Calvin (view spoiler)

So far it's a 5-star for sure. I'm loving Christina Lauren's books :D Will definitely listen to them all. Pleased this one isn't an erotica like her other series. Makes for a nice sweet contemporary.

A break from my busy life.

Finished! Review: This book was the cutest most adorable thing I've read in a long time. Got my heart all fluttery inside. It was such a warm gooey book, and I am super pleased I gave it a go. Makes me even more certain I want to binge Christina Lauren books :D I'm so pleased there's so many of them.
This is a very different tune to her Beautiful Bastard series. I knew this one wouldn't be erotica, but I was expecting more depiction of the 'intense' scenes, if you know what I mean. The relationship and banter and cutesiness between Holland and Calvin was just right up my alley. (view spoiler) And the one thing I was worried about, (view spoiler) didn't happen. It was true and honest the whole time. Only thing Holland did that annoyed me was (view spoiler) This book had me grinning, laughing out loud, cringing as well as groaning. It had everything I was feeling like. I really liked how (view spoiler) I really appreciate when Holland said 'I know I always groan when I read this passage in a book, but I really feel like it applies to me'. It's true, because I groaned before I listened to what she was going to say next XD
I really wish this was a series, it just ended suddenly, I didn't even know the ending was coming up. It just finished :( I need move Callond.

message 42: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Holland (view spoiler)

message 43: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Calvin (view spoiler)

message 44: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Lulu (view spoiler)

message 45: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Final thoughts (view spoiler)

I want to read those! XD this is a new favourite book

message 47: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 2076 comments Chapters 1-9:
I like that the story was quick to get going. (view spoiler) I was surprised that (view spoiler) Also, I do not like Lulu. I'm surprised she and Holland are friends. Holland is so nice, and Lulu is horrible.

message 48: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 2076 comments Chapters 10-16:
I like Lulu even less now. I can't believe she (view spoiler) Also, I didn't like all of the (view spoiler) That was a little weird for me. I'm glad that (view spoiler) I didn't like (view spoiler)

message 49: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 2076 comments Chapters 17-23:
I'm glad that (view spoiler). I don't like that (view spoiler). Also, I'm happy that (view spoiler).

message 50: by Shae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments Leah wrote: "Chapters 17-23:
I'm glad that [spoilers removed]. I don't like that [spoilers removed]. Also, I'm happy that [spoilers removed]."

(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3