What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mystery at Clover House
This topic is about Mystery at Clover House
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Mystery. Young nurse moves into a house with several others, one roommate's brother is hiding in the basement. Read in early 1980's. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 16 comments I am looking for a book about a young nurse ( I don't think it's Cherry Ames) who lives in a house with several others. One of the roommates brother leaves boarding school and hides in the basement. I checked this book out from the library in the early 80's. I am thinking it was written in the sixties or seventies. The young nurse left home to move to a larger city to work in a hospital. As a going away present her father gave her a tube of red lipstick, I believe. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Carol (Kimiko) (christinechricketcrissy) | 7 comments I am srry but it is on the tip of my tongue. But if you find out can you plz let know thank you.

message 3: by Kellyg629 (new)

Kellyg629 | 1 comments Was it Sue Barton?
"The Sue Barton 7 Book Set includes: Sue Barton, Student Nurse; Sue Barton, Senior Nurse; Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse; Sue Barton, Rural Nurse; Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses; Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse; Sue Barton, Staff Nurse. A seven volume story that follows the life of vivacious, red-headed Sue Barton through her exhilarating training and career as a nurse. Sue's humor and great heart see her through the rigors of her profession as well as the trials of her personal life. Her determined struggle to maintain her independence gives her the strength to weather the occasionally bumpy road of a young woman seeking a life long dream of a nursing career. Coming from rural New Hampshire, Sue enters the large city hospital nursing program where she befriends Katherine Van Dyke (Kit) and Connie Halliday. Sue and her friends are dedicated to their training yet manage to stumble into hilarious mischief from time to time. Their clever dialogue is a continuous thread throughout the stories which is certain to leave readers in stitches. Romance manages to find Sue in the hospital when she meets handsome surgeon, Dr. Bill Barry. Sue's many career choices as a nurse conflict with Bill's idea about their relationship leaving Sue in a dilemma as she plans her future. Through it all, it is Sue Barton's gift for understanding people and seeing the good in all that provides her the direction she needs in finding the right path to follow."

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33329 comments Mod
Sue Barton series by Helen Dore Boylston - Kelly's suggestion

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Melissa is still looking for this.

"I am trying to locate a book about a young nurse ( I don't think it's Cherry Ames) who lives in a house with several others.

One of the roommates brother leaves boarding school and hides in the basement.

The beginning of the book see's the young nurse/ student nurse leaving home.

Her dad gives her a tube of red lipstick as a going away gift.

She discovers her roommates brother hiding in the basement.

She helps him stay hidden and also helps him solve a mystery.

She starts to date a young doctor but in the end she decides to date her roommates brother.

l read this book in the early 80's.

I checked it out from the library.

I think it is a standalone book and not part of a series.

Even though I read it in the 80's the book was probably published in the 60's or 70's.

I cannot remember anything else."

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Willo Davis Roberts wrote some mysteries about nursing school students in the 70s. I haven't read them, but since she became famous for her later juvenile mysteries, it might be worth looking at them. The only title I remember is Nurse in Danger...bur there were a few others.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 16 comments Still trying to find this book.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33329 comments Mod
I added some plot details to the topic header. Feel free to edit it on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 16 comments I am still trying to locate this book. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

message 10: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Mystery at Clover House byMary Cunningham ?

Here is the review from Kirkus:
Susan, eighteen, left the midwest for L.A. and within two days found (a) lodging in the most charming house this side of Blandings' Dream with three fascinating roommates, and (b) talked her way into a job as a nurse's aid. The third day she fell for a young doctor, and then she found Jay, the brother of one of her roommates, hiding in the cellar--a runaway from trouble at school. He was practically her own age and she was strangely drawn to him too.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 16 comments Tab found the book! Thank you so much!

message 12: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments You're welcome :)