Play Book Tag discussion

Winter (Seasonal #2)
This topic is about Winter
December 2017: Social Issues > Winter - Ali Smith - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Dec 27, 2017 03:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susie | 4488 comments It pains me to report that Winter was not the five star follow up to Autumn that I had hoped it would be. I LOVED Autumn, but I have read a few of Smith's previous works, There But For The, and The Accidental, and didn't love them as much. Perhaps Autumn is the exception rather than the rule? I found Winter to be stunning at times, and the last third in particular was wonderful and I couldn't put it down and I found myself rereading passages just to experience them again. Unfortunately there were also parts that I found just too weird and I felt as though I wasn't really getting them (think unexplained hovering objects). I wasn't able to read big chunks at a time due to the time of the year, and I really do think that Smith is best read uninterrupted, so perhaps I would have appreciated it more if I read it in one sitting rather than over a week. Nevertheless I still find Smith to be a fascinating writer and I look forward to reading Spring when it is released.

As always, Smith has written a book chock full of social issues, hence its inclusion in this folder.

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 1545 comments That’s too bad. I’m still looking forward to it though. I like really weird so maybe I will like it more than you.

Tracy (tstan) | 1207 comments I’ve got it coming on the date of its US release, and will probably read it right away- if it’s not as good as Autumn, but still 4 star level, I’m ok with that!

Nicole D. | 1490 comments ahh ... too bad, but glad to temper expectations.

Susie | 4488 comments Maybe you guys will like it more than me. I did still like it lots, I just didn’t adore it. Jen, I normally love weird too, but parts didn’t gel with me. Let’s see what you think.

Tracy (tstan) | 1207 comments I agree with you, Susie. This was very good, but I think Autumn set a high bar. It was a 4.5 Star for me, though. I will be thinking about this one for a long time.
I do think Lux is one of the most intriguing characters I’ve read about for a long time.

Susie | 4488 comments Wasn’t Lux great? What did you think of the hovering head?

message 8: by Tracy (last edited Jan 17, 2018 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy (tstan) | 1207 comments I’m still processing that- not sure why it was there, and what it symbolized. I’ve been mulling it over for a while now...what do you think?

Susie | 4488 comments I’m putting it in absolutely no idea category!

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve just done quite a lot of reading and I’m no closer to understanding what the head meant to me, the reader, but I did find an explanation from Smith herself which is good for thought. You’ll find it in this interview. http://www.foyles.co.uk/ali-smith

Susie | 4488 comments *food

Tracy (tstan) | 1207 comments Fascinating interview! I’m glad she didn’t know why the head was there either. I love that she talked about the Shakespearian references. Now I need to read Cymbeline.