Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Quest for Women Authors > Vero’s 2018 Quest

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronique (last edited Jul 06, 2018 08:09AM) (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Here I am once more. Let’s see if I can do a little better... This time, I’m going for a single decade - the 1940s :0)

1940: Mariana by Monica Dickens
1941: Death and the Dancing Footman by Ngaio Marsh
1942: Five on a Treasure Island by Enid Blyton
1943: The Two Mrs. Abbotts by D.E. Stevenson (read 10/02 - - 4*)
1944: Absent In The Spring (read 04/07 - review - 5*)
1945: The Moomins and the Great Flood by Tove Jansson (read 05/01 - review - 4*)
1946: Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd
1947: In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B. Hughes
1948: The Lottery by Shirley Jackson (22/02 - review - 4*)
1949: The Far Cry by Emma Smith

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments Love this list. Loved In a Lonely Place. Can't wait to hear what you think of Friday's Child--it's the one Georgette Heyer I own and I never see it mentioned. Hope it's good!

message 3: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Thanks Kathleen. In a Lonely Place has been on my shelf for ages. As for Heyer’s, I was looking for a book in that year and since I’ve read a few of hers, this one sounded good :0)

message 4: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) | 241 comments I've only read The Lottery from this list. It looks great. Good Luck!

message 5: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Thanks Zoe :O) I’ve read a couple of Jackson’s novels and they were ‘arresting’.

message 6: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 549 comments Some of my favourite authors - Heyer, Stevenson and Marsh.

Miss Ranskill Comes Home looks very interesting. Never heard of it. Good luck with your list!

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
This year’s challenge has proved to be a gold mine of new authors and books. The only thing on your list that I’m familiar with is Jackson’s The Lottery, which I think is fantastic. Good luck.

message 8: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Thanks Carolien and Bob. Really looking forward to it all. Might start with Heyer’s.

message 9: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 327 comments Oooh will steal your Ngaio Marsh for my 1940s :)

message 10: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Steal away :0) Hope you like it

message 11: by Anetq (new)

Anetq | 327 comments Veronique wrote: "Steal away :0) Hope you like it"
I had forgotten about her, but she'll double for my reading the world challenge :) I have now made the longest list for this Quest for Women Authors, but I had nothing for the 1940s https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 12: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Just had a look at your list! Impressive!

message 13: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Since it was available at the library, I started my challenge with The Moomins and the Great Flood by Tove Jansson. That was rather a pleasant surprise :O)
(review - 4*)

message 14: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1231 comments Stealing Ngaio Marsh for future challenges! That series spans at least three decades!

message 15: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments :0) Rather looking forward to finally read one of her books. I’ve known of her for a while since I went into research mode on the Golden Age of Crime, and I watched quite a few of the Inspector Alleyn tv series with the excellent Patrick Malahide... Which reminds me I’ve also got The Golden Age of Murder to read but I’m sure it will make me add too many titles to my already bursting TBR :0)

message 16: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments The Two Mrs. Abbotts (read 10/02 - Review - 4*)

Nothing much happens in this warm-hearted comedy and yet it is a page turner. Published in 1943, the war is of course ever present but in a toned down way.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Bob wrote: "This year’s challenge has proved to be a gold mine of new authors and books. "

I agree, Bob! There are so many authors and books on these lists that are wholly new to me.

Thanks for sharing, Veronique!

message 18: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments The Lottery (22/02 - review - 4*)

Jackson might not be to everyone’s taste but so far I have liked her style. There are many ways of interpreting this short story but I think my favourite is about the danger of not questioning things or using your brain.

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Veronique wrote: "The Lottery (22/02 - review - 4*)

Jackson might not be to everyone’s taste but so far I have liked her style. There are many ways of interpreting this short story but I think my fav..."

I like your summary! I will be sure to read it.

message 20: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Thanks :0) It is very short so easy to fit in if you want.

message 21: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I thought The Lottery was great. You kind of know where she is taking you, but it is still a shock when you get there.

message 22: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Indeed! I have a couple of her novels waiting on my shelf as well as Let Me Tell You, which apart from short stories also contains essays, lectures, and letters. Quite looking forward to gathering more about her that way.

I’m usually rubbish with short stories. For some reason, I find them harder than novels. Anyway, I’m trying to rectify this by trying on a new routine of reading one every/most days. So far so good :O)

message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments You're making quick work of this challenge!

I am a fan of Jackson too, and this was my first, when I was at a young, impressionable age, and never forgot the shock. Excellent review--love how you put the emphasis on questioning. Yes!

message 24: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Thanks :0) They were pretty short so far...

message 25: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 779 comments Veronique, you have a really nice mix of books here with some authors I am familiar with and others I am not. I hope to get to Mariana one day soon, and I love Georgette Heyer. It might be time I read another one of her books - always so entertaining :)

message 26: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Thanks Candi :O)

message 27: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments I love Heyer too.
Enid Blyton makes one nostalgic.Maybe I snould reread one the books soon.

message 28: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments It’s been a lifetime since I’ve read a Blyton *lol* Should be interesting to see how it ‘compares’.

Pondering which title to go for next, since I’ve again over-planned for the month... :O)

message 29: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Look at this, July, and I’ve kind of been side-tracked. Well, I could switch one book and use Absent In The Spring instead of Friday’s Child for 1944, although I am totally going to read Heyer’s book - some day, soon... :O)

I really didn’t know what to expect of this Mary Westmacott (Agatha Christie pen name for non crime books) and oh my, I devoured it. Especially weird since the main character is not likeable, but what a masterfully written novel!

review

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments It does sound like a wonderful book--loved your review!

message 31: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments I didn't know Agatha Christie wrote under a pseudonym. Learned something!

message 32: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 964 comments Thanks Kathleen :0)

I didn’t know either, Marilyn, until relatively recently that she had penned those 6 Westmacott novels, as well as her autobiography (read it earlier this year - brilliant) and her account living/working on an archeological dig with her husband (Come, Tell Me How You Live: Memories from archaeological expeditions in the mysterious Middle East). She truly fascinates me.

message 33: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1231 comments I had no idea about the pseudonym either! I'll have to have a look at those.