Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > Starting Strong Chat

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) We're starting in a little more than a day. What do you plan on reading first?

message 2: by Kikijanika (new)

Kikijanika | 2979 comments I'll probably start with To Look Out from Poems by Dede Cummings and Raise the Red Lantern Three Novellas by Su Tong because they are what I need for my music challenge.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Usually I start with a couple smaller books, so I might start with James Patterson's Private The Royals (BookShots) by James Patterson French Kiss by James Patterson Killer Chef (BookShots) by James Patterson and Black & Blue by James Patterson

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) I'm mostly just trying to finish up my currently reading shelf right now. Then starting the 31st I'll be travelling to Portugal so I have very specific books I'm trying to read since I'll have a limited amount of books I'll be able to read. :)

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Bookbuyer wrote: "I'm mostly just trying to finish up my currently reading shelf right now. Then starting the 31st I'll be travelling to Portugal so I have very specific books I'm trying to read since I'll have a li..."

Ooooooo, that sounds like a ton of fun! :)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "I'm mostly just trying to finish up my currently reading shelf right now. Then starting the 31st I'll be travelling to Portugal so I have very specific books I'm trying to read si..."

Yup. Going away for the winter to get away from this cold! :D

message 7: by Katriann (new)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2190 comments I will probably start with the books I'm currently reading. They are Zarox by Louis Smith Fearsome Dreamer (Fearsome Dreamer, #1) by Laure Eve and Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4) by Christopher Paolini . I want to finish at least one of them before I start any new books.

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "I'm mostly just trying to finish up my currently reading shelf right now. Then starting the 31st I'll be travelling to Portugal so I have very specific books I'm trying to read since I'll have a li..."

How exciting! Have you ever been to Portugal before?

message 9: by Cara (new)

Cara (caramariew) | 406 comments I'm going to try and finish the books I'm currently reading and then get a good start on next year's A-Z challenge :)

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Cara wrote: "I'm going to try and finish the books I'm currently reading and then get a good start on next year's A-Z challenge :)"

Good luck, Cara! :)

message 11: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Carstairs (daechwita) | 545 comments Same! Ill probably start with a book im currently reading: Warcross

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 1046 comments I'm probably going to start with reading some of the books in the "Dead is" series. I have a year-long challenge for another group that I totally forgot about until now (whoops). It ends the 8th so I will be reading as many skinny books as I can in an effort to finish that challenge! XD

message 13: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Lol Good luck, Jessica.

message 14: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) Vicki wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "I'm mostly just trying to finish up my currently reading shelf right now. Then starting the 31st I'll be travelling to Portugal so I have very specific books I'm trying to read si..."

Yes. Two years ago. :)

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 11 comments I'm gonna try and finally finish The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1) by Mark Frost

message 16: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I'm so excited!! Tomorrow, I hope to finish up If There's No Tomorrow by Jennifer L. Armentrout

read another 50 or so pages of And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

& start The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) I won't be online when the readathon starts, so I'm going to leave this reminder that you can click HERE to know exactly when the readathon starts!

message 18: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 293 comments I'm finish up with The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
And then hope to get into Hollywood Homicide (Detective by Day, #1) by Kellye Garrett

message 19: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments I'm going to do what looks like the next month's battle of the books with

The Siren by Kiera Cass and Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks

We'll see if I get through those two and where I go from there. The last few books have been a serious smut fest, and I think I need to Clorox my brain out with some fun YA.

message 20: by Leelynn (new)

Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤ (miyukinightshade) | 131 comments I really want to finish Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1) by Jennifer McGowan and The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli . If I can, I also want to finish either the Series of Unfortunate Events series or the Twitches Series.

Rebecca (pagescollective) | 283 comments Ooh, it starts so soon! I can't wait!! I'm starting with The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and Wonder Woman Warbringer (DC Icons, #1) by Leigh Bardugo that I'm currently reading.

message 22: by Kikijanika (new)

Kikijanika | 2979 comments I ended up starting with The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6) by Joseph Delaney after all. It's a library book so I can return it when I'm done.

message 23: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Carstairs (daechwita) | 545 comments Read The Sun and Her Flowers.

Now Im starting The Hound of the Baskervilles

message 24: by Leelynn (new)

Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤ (miyukinightshade) | 131 comments Rebecca (Rivka Ray) wrote: "Ooh, it starts so soon! I can't wait!! I'm starting with The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and Wonder Woman Warbringer (DC Icons, #1) by Leigh Bardugo that I'm currently reading."

Wonder Woman was my favorite read of 2017! I hope you enjoy it!

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 777 comments I finished Rosemary's Baby at around 3 am and it's 6 am right now, so I'm going to read a bit of Falsies or Ensnared before going back to bed.(:

message 26: by Jessie (Saffity) (new)

Jessie (Saffity) (saffity) | 563 comments Just started Ruined (Ruined, #1) by Amy Tintera I'm audio booking it so that I can have a chance over the next week as I have to work. Unlikely to get it done today as it's over 9 hours, but hoping to actually read another book tonight while I volunteer for Friday Night Magic at the hobby store my hubby works at.

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Has anyone read any great books so far?

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Attention! The point thread is now open. Sorry for the mix up, and thanks for the understanding. :)

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 777 comments How is everyone doing? Are you all ready for the new year?

I ended up getting sick last night, and now I'm 100 pages behind schedule. And to make things worse, I woke up at 3 pm today and haven't read anything yet D: and I go back to classes in two days (9 am classes mind you). I don't know how it's gonna affect my reading, but my health and school come first :/ I might end up reducing my goal. (:

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Michelle wrote: "How is everyone doing? Are you all ready for the new year?

I ended up getting sick last night, and now I'm 100 pages behind schedule. And to make things worse, I woke up at 3 pm today and haven't ..."

I'm sorry you got sick! Hopefully you'll feel better soon.

message 31: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Carstairs (daechwita) | 545 comments Hello! I have a question regarding the point system :)

In the point system thread (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...), it was stated that BINGO: (1 point each)

Does this mean 1 point for each square? For example, if I read a book which qualifies for the Published in 2017 and Favorite Genre squares, does this mean I earned 2 points?

Thank you!

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Jeanine wrote: "Hello! I have a question regarding the point system :)

In the point system thread (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...), it was stated that BINGO: ..."

You get one point for each bingo you get, and 5 if you cover the entire board.

message 33: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 215 comments Jessie (Saffity) wrote: "I'm going to do what looks like the next month's battle of the books with

The Siren by Kiera Cass and Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks

We'll see if I get through those two and where I go f..."

I read The Siren by Kiera Cass earlier in November/December last year. It was slow to get started for me, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down! I hope you enjoy it as well.

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) I also had a hard time getting into The Siren, but I was listening to it on an audio book so it wasn't too bad.

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Last day! What is everybody reading?

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Countdown clock so you know when the readathon ends: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...

message 37: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I want to read The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson but with my husband off and wanting to do errands "together" (guess I can't complain lol) I don't know if I can do that one. Here's hoping...fingers crossed!!

message 38: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 215 comments I am trying to finish Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5) by Marissa Meyer . I'm about halfway done right now. If I can finish this early enough, I'd like to try to start Leap of Faith by Jamie Blair and finish that as well before time runs out! =)

message 39: by Kikijanika (new)

Kikijanika | 2979 comments I was hoping to still finish Panic (Panic, #1) by Lauren Oliver and I just did! Now I'll just read on A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin and Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1) by Zen Cho as much as I can.

message 40: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Anna, I want to thank you for putting this read-a-thon on for us! It really gave me the impetus I needed to have a good end and an excellent start to my reading goals!! I had SO much fun, especially trying to get the BINGOs added. LOL I had 2 to go and I could add a less than 100 pages before the deadline but hubby is calling me to come watch a show we watch together. He's been patient with me this week while I read 16 books. LOL I really appreciate all your hard work and the other mods.

message 41: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 215 comments I echo Vicki's sentiments! This has been a lot of fun and I managed to read so many books in such a short time frame, which was really exciting, including a few that have been on my TBR list for quite some time. Thanks again for setting this up!

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 1046 comments I'm done! I was going to read a bit more, but a few hours ago I decided to take a break from reading and I decided to just call it done for the night! This was really great and it really helped me on my challenge! I only have 5 more books to read (one of which I am currently reading) and I have confidence that I can finish them by the 8th!

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Good luck, Jessica. You did awesome on the read-a-Thon!

message 44: by Leelynn (new)

Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤ (miyukinightshade) | 131 comments This was such a great read-a-thon! I can't wait to participate in the next one. I think that was the fastest I've ever gotten through books before!

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Vicki wrote: "Anna, I want to thank you for putting this read-a-thon on for us! It really gave me the impetus I needed to have a good end and an excellent start to my reading goals!! I had SO much fun, especiall..."

Morgan wrote: "I echo Vicki's sentiments! This has been a lot of fun and I managed to read so many books in such a short time frame, which was really exciting, including a few that have been on my TBR list for qu..."

Leelynn wrote: "This was such a great read-a-thon! I can't wait to participate in the next one. I think that was the fastest I've ever gotten through books before!"

Awwww, thank you guys so much! I'm glad that you had fun. :D

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 1046 comments Vicki wrote: "Good luck, Jessica. You did awesome on the read-a-Thon!"

Thanks! You did fantastic too!