Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Old & New Classic Challenge > Vero’s 2018 Old & New Challenge

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronique (last edited Mar 19, 2018 09:10AM) (new)

Veronique | 969 comments This is the first time I’m joining this challenge, but since I’ve been meaning to read these titles for ever, I thought why not :0)

Old school - Victorians, of course
Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (read 16/03 - my link text - 5*)
No Name by Wilkie Collins

New School - Ladies of the 40s
The Two Mrs. Abbotts by D.E. Stevenson (read 10/02 - my link text - 4*)
Miss Ranskill Comes Home by Barbara Euphan Todd
The Far Cry by Emma Smith

Wild Card - Golden Age of Crime
Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (read 01/03 - my link text - 4.5*)
Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers
The Moving Toyshop by Edmund Crispin

Wild Card - Ladies can write fantasy/scifi
The Warrior’s Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (read 11/01 - my link text - 4*)
Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Spare
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart

The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2) by Lois McMaster Bujold The Two Mrs. Abbotts (Miss Buncle #3) by D.E. Stevenson Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie The Three Musketeers (The D'Artagnan Romances, #1) by Alexandre Dumas

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4062 comments Such interesting choices! Miss Ranskill Comes Home sounds like such fun--I just had to add it. Glad you joined!

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Oh, fun! Sayers and Bujold, and Willis? You're in for a very amusing year!

Did you join in on the Three Men in a Boat group read earlier this year? It's not vital, but I would have gotten more of the jokes if I'd read that before To Say Nothing of the Dog.

message 4: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Thanks :0)

I didn’t join but I read it a couple of years ago. Hopefully I’ll recognised the references. I’ve been meaning to try Willis for a long time. As for Bujold, I’ve been going through her Vorkosigan saga.

And yes, I chose ‘entertaining’ titles on purpose. The last couple of years, I found it very hard to read any classics, and only got back into them a little while ago. It seemed a good idea to go for specially fun ones :0)

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1578 comments Doctor Thorne is a wonderful book.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 755 comments I read The Three Musketeers this year...great, fun read!
Good luck!

message 7: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Thanks Rosemarie and Susie.
I had started The Chronicles of Barsetshire but got sidetracked. As for the musketeers, I can’t believe I haven’t read this yet since I grew up with it all around me. Looking forward to finally getting to it.

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina Ive | 69 comments I also read the three musketeers this year, it was wonderful! Enjoy your challenge list

message 9: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Thanks Nina :O)

message 10: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1233 comments Your fantasy/sci-fi wild cards are great fun. And then you have Gaudy Night! I love Gaudy Night!

I was going to read No Name this year, but swapped it out for a shorter Wilkie. I'm going to be jealous when you read it. lol

message 11: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments :O) Thanks Leni
Well, I did want ‘fun’ *lol*
Crossing fingers I do read No Name. It was between this one and Armadale, which I’ll eventually get to too...

message 12: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1233 comments I read Armadale last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has a great villain.

message 13: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments The Warrior’s Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold

Really enjoyed this one. I’m finally getting what the fascination with Bujold is :O)

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
(GR’s html keeps messing up and not letting me create a link!)

message 14: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Yay! Glad you liked it!

It seems this is the first one you've gotten to staring Miles? He's so much fun.

message 15: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Yes, it was my first with Miles :0) Shall be reading the next one next month.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments I love your list! :) Several books that I’ve been wanting to read — The Three Musketeers and Assassin's Apprentice — and several more that I shall have to check out... I look forward to knowing what you think of them!

message 17: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Thanks Erin :O) I’ll be starting the Musketeers in March, if you’re tempted...

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Veronique wrote: "Thanks Erin :O) I’ll be starting the Musketeers in March, if you’re tempted..."

It’s a plan! Let me know when you start! :)

message 19: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Erin wrote: "Veronique wrote: "Thanks Erin :O) I’ll be starting the Musketeers in March, if you’re tempted..."
It’s a plan! Let me know when you start! :)"

Great! Will do. Adding to my diary :O)

message 20: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments The Two Mrs. Abbotts (read 10/02 - Review - 4*)

A lovely read :0)
You could read this novel without having read the previous two, but it is much better if you have. Also the first one, Miss Buncle's Book is a true gem.

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4062 comments These do look like fun! I hadn't heard of the author, but I've put the first one on my list--thanks!

message 22: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Kathleen wrote: "These do look like fun! I hadn't heard of the author, but I've put the first one on my list--thanks!"

You’re welcome. I envy you a little the joy of discovering Miss Buncle’s Book :O)

message 23: by Sara (taking a break), Old School Classics (new)

Sara (taking a break) (phantomswife) | 5814 comments Mod
I'm adding it as well, Veronique. I hope I can get to it this year, but if I don't it will make a worthy addition to my challenge next year.

message 24: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Sara wrote: "I'm adding it as well, Veronique. I hope I can get to it this year, but if I don't it will make a worthy addition to my challenge next year."

:0)

message 25: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Erin, I’m going to start The Three Musketeers next Monday... Is that okay for you?

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Veronique wrote: "Erin, I’m going to start The Three Musketeers next Monday... Is that okay for you?"

Sounds great! I’m looking forward to this! =D

message 27: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (read 01/03 - my link text - 4.5*)

Another great read :O)

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Veronique wrote: "Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (read 01/03 - my link text - 4.5*)

Another great read :O)"

One of my favourites. This is one of the few that I actually figured out before the big reveal! Great book. I have Murder on the Orient Express on my Bingo board, and looking forward to finally reading it.

message 29: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Erin wrote: "Veronique wrote: "Erin, I’m going to start The Three Musketeers next Monday... Is that okay for you?"

Sounds great! I’m looking forward to this! =D"

I hope you both enjoy it. I read it last year and loved it! Very fun read :)

message 30: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Thanks Renee
Hope you enjoy Murder on the Orient Express :O)

message 31: by Jacm (new)

Jacm | 34 comments Well done so far - Looks like you have enjoyed the books you have selected. Hopefully the rest of the list rates as high

message 32: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (read 16/03 - my link text - 5*)

Surprisingly enjoyable and with more depth than I expected...

message 33: by Sara (taking a break), Old School Classics (new)

So glad you enjoyed it, Vero. I found it was remarkably good fun.

message 34: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Thanks Sara :O)

message 35: by Susie (new)

Susie | 755 comments Agree... The Three Musketeers is a great read!

message 36: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 179 comments An interesting mix Veronique. I like the Ladies Wild Card SF/F. Must admit I've never read Bujold. Sounds interesting.

Good luck with the rest of your challenge

message 37: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Trying to find my way back with all my 2018 challenges! Hopefully, I can read one this month, probably Assassin’s Apprentice ...

message 38: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 179 comments Veronique wrote: "Trying to find my way back with all my 2018 challenges! Hopefully, I can read one this month, probably Assassin’s Apprentice ..."

I know, its such a struggle to keep up with all challenges, I think i'm level on 2, behind on 1 and ahead in another.
Good luck Vero :)

message 39: by Sara (taking a break), Old School Classics (new)

You've still got plenty of time and some interesting choices!

message 40: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4062 comments You can do it! And I'm looking forward to you getting to Miss Ranskill!

message 41: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 969 comments Thanks :0)