Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > ASIN incorrect?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Midwest (new)

Midwest Geek (midwestgeek) | 124 comments With regard to this edition, the associated ASIN is given as B01M07UQNO. However, I cannot find that ASIN anywhere. Using amazon's automated lookup ASINLab.com, the server reports that this number cannot be found, whereas the alternative audible.com edition. associated with ASIN: B01M0JID1W, is found. It seems likely that the user entered an incorrect ASIN, but I don't know what should be done about it. Should a message be sent to the user who created the former entry? Should the asin # simply be removed from the former entry?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42031 comments Mod
Just because an edition is no longer available does not mean it was never available, or incorrect. Goodreads does not delete out of print editions, including for Audible editions.

message 3: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 3032 comments https://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-... (B01M07UQNO is not shown on the page, but it's in the URL).

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Dec 26, 2017 11:37PM) (new)

And actually, this one is still available: https://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...

(And Ayshe found it faster than I did.)

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments Ayshe wrote: "https://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-... (B01M07UQNO is not shown on the page, but it's in the URL)."
which is always the case at the audible page.
And additionally: audible.de does have a different ASIN than audible.com (in this case: B01LY9GJFD) https://www.audible.de/pd/English-Mys...

And it does have different ASIN than the different Amazons (.de has different ASIN for the same audiobook - same language/narrator- than .co.uk and both have different than .com) so there can be plenty of audible editions who are/where at some point all valid.

message 6: by Midwest (last edited Dec 27, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

Midwest Geek (midwestgeek) | 124 comments Thanks to all for your explanations. Amazon has a second lookup site with the same limitations as ASINLab.com. The result of entering an audible asin, such as B01M07UQNO, yields "Either the ASIN is invalid Or doesn't belong to Amazon(US)." I found a helpful page that explains the differences between GTINs, which are truly universal, and ASINs, which are commercial and apparently limited to amazon's companies.

My original example illustrates that even the ASIN used for an audible audio listing on amazon.com, e.g. B01M0JID1W, may not be the same as the ASIN, e.g. B01M07UQNO, actually in use by audible.com for that audiobook!

Googling B01M07UQNO does locate the correct link to the audible.com web page, and googling B01M0JID1W does find it associated with the correct amazon.com page. On the other hand, a search for B01M0JID1W on audible.com or a search for B01M07UQNO on amazon.com comes up empty. As Lachgas points out, each of audible's country sites also uses a different asin. That makes sense for editions in different language, but less sense for the same edition in amazon.co.uk and amazon.com, until one recalls that these are commercial tracking IDs. Since ASINs are associated with specific commercial distribution sites, perhaps it would be better to omit them altogether. I understand that they are optional on GR; now I begin to understand why.

It may help to include a paragraph in the Librarian Manual concerning these matters, possibly with a pointer to amazon's explanation. Perhaps even better, one could point to the wikipedia pages for ASIN and GTIN.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments ISBNs are commercial tracking IDs just as ASINs are. Why should we exclude ASINs when we do allow different ISBNs to be added?

Lots of ebooks are imported to GR with the only difference between them being the ISBNs. Print books are also published with different ISBNs in different countries, so why shouldn't Kindle editions be?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

This group is not the place for philosophical discussions.

Post removed; closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.