Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
This topic is about The Republic of Thieves
67 views
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Republic of Thieves [Feb 14, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4434 comments Mod
Feb 14.

Link to retired buddy read: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


Patrick | 18 comments I’m in!


Beste | 1163 comments So looking forward to this!


Shaitarn | 1863 comments I have to know what happens!


J.J. I'm in. I want to know what's up with Sabetha. She's mention all the time but yet to show herself.


Patrick | 18 comments If I can guess it will be a complicated mess of a love story.


Chris  (haughtc) | 1633 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I have to know what happens!"

Me too! Except, I read this book when it came out and remember zilch. Not good as I'll probably have to reread the whole series when if the 4th book comes out.


message 8: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger | 23 comments I hope I can start this next week! I want to know what's up with Sabetha as well.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments I made a start on this today, sorry I'm a few days early, it's just I have three books scheduled this coming week.

I'm liking this so far, only on to chapter 2.

(view spoiler)


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I'll be starting this pretty soon, as well...


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Iain wrote: "I'll be starting this pretty soon, as well..."

Wooo I'll be ahead of you for once! :p Probs not for long, but ya know... :)


Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End Ch 1 and boom, what a reveal. This book started really well so far.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Barry wrote: "End Ch 1 and boom, what a reveal. This book started really well so far."

Agreed! I'm really liking it.


message 14: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger | 23 comments I started it last night as well. I didn't get through the whole prologue but I like where Lynch is going with the book. Showing Lamora back in the thieving den as a kid. It just pulls you right back into the series. It's been a good year since I read the second book so I'm glad for this.


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Sounds promising... I decided to join the Long Price Quartet Buddy Read, so I don't get too far ahead on this... I'll be another day or so before I join... but you know once I do, it won't take long to catch up...

@Siobhan: I thought there was a new Siobhan in the group for a second... I got so used to the goat pic...


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Iain wrote: "Sounds promising... I decided to join the Long Price Quartet Buddy Read, so I don't get too far ahead on this... I'll be another day or so before I join... but you know once I do, it won't take lon..."

Goat!! I'll have you know that was an alpaca! XD
Sorry to confuse, I fancied a change. :)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Ginger wrote: "I started it last night as well. I didn't get through the whole prologue but I like where Lynch is going with the book. Showing Lamora back in the thieving den as a kid. It just pulls you right bac..."

I appreciated that too, Ginger. You saying you didn't get through the whole prologue just made me think. The one thing that annoys me with these books - the chapters are so damn long! I'm over 200 pages in now and I'm on like chapter 3! Haha.


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I wanted to say goat or llama... I picked goat...


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Iain wrote: "I wanted to say goat or llama... I picked goat..."

Well you were wrong either way ;)


message 20: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger | 23 comments Siobhan wrote: "Ginger wrote: "You saying you didn't get through the whole prologue just made me think. The one thing that annoys me with these books - the chapters are so damn long! I'm over 200 pages in now and I'm on like chapter 3!"

Yeah! It was late and I was trying to get through the prologue but just couldn't do it. I kept falling asleep. Looking forward to getting back to it today.
o.O Woah, the chapters are super long in this. Was it this way with the books 1 & 2? I don't remember.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Ginger wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Ginger wrote: "You saying you didn't get through the whole prologue just made me think. The one thing that annoys me with these books - the chapters are so damn long! I'm over 200 p..."

They're about the same as 1 and 2 yeah. I always thought they were long, but I'm probably exaggerating a bit haha. They are broken up into little sections too so it's not so bad.


message 22: by Ginger (last edited Feb 12, 2018 08:33AM) (new) - added it

Ginger | 23 comments Siobhan wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Ginger wrote: "You saying you didn't get through the whole prologue just made me think. The one thing that annoys me with these books - the chapters are so damn long!..."

It was so long ago when I read the 1st two books that I couldn't remember. Thanks Siobhan!


message 23: by Barry (last edited Feb 12, 2018 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Page 224 end of Part I

Part I is pretty much a straightforward set up for future events. Not many surprises, except for the huge reveal at end of Ch 1 and 2. (view spoiler).

The Eldren
(view spoiler)


Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Siobhan wrote: "Iain wrote: "Sounds promising... I decided to join the Long Price Quartet Buddy Read, so I don't get too far ahead on this... I'll be another day or so before I join... but you know once I do, it w..."
Goats, llamas, alpacas they’re like Calo and Galdo ... lol.

I thought it was a lamb hahaha.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Barry wrote: "Page 224 end of Part I

Part I is pretty much a straightforward set up for future events. Not many surprises, except for the huge reveal at end of Ch 1 and 2. [spoilers removed].

The Eldren
[spoi..."


I'm at the same point, end of part 1. And I was literally thinking I know all this from the blurb. Bloody blurbs. I like your speculations! Can't wait to discover the answers.


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I read the prologue... I didn't expect (view spoiler)


message 27: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger | 23 comments Iain wrote: "I read the prologue... I didn't expect [spoilers removed]"

I thought the same! I didn't realize (view spoiler)


Patrick | 18 comments Sorry guys I have to bail out. I finished this book a week ago. Lol


message 29: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger | 23 comments Patrick wrote: "Sorry guys I have to bail out. I finished this book a week ago. Lol"

Good review Patrick! That's what I'm seeing from quite a few of my friends that have already read it.


Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "I read the prologue... I didn't expect [spoilers removed]"

It was hinted in the previous books I think. Anyways I was waiting for their story to come this entire time yaaaay! Finally there


Beste | 1163 comments @Iain I saw your comment on the Red Seas thread; Ive been telling the same about the disastrous endings of his schemes. Yet I say again if there weren't a book 4 I would give up at 2 and not read book 3 because we all can guess that the next big thing will be Locke's death. (And by now I'm deeply attached to this guy that I don't want to read his death, So when he dies warn me to not read it) (The ending of Mistborn 3 made me cry like hours long)


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Oops... I'll have to copy that over here when I get home... I didn't even realize I commented in the wrong thread since they're both in my feed at the moment...


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Not expecting an HEA in book 6/7 Beste?


Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "Not expecting an HEA in book 6/7 Beste?"

I know I'm just trying to say I will stop reading before the book he dies.


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Beste wrote: "@Iain I saw your comment on the Red Seas thread; Ive been telling the same about the disastrous endings of his schemes. Yet I say again if there weren't a book 4 I would give up at 2 and not read b..."

Misplaced Context:

I think I had low expectations going in, from everything I heard and some comments like Patrick's... and it's making me hypercritical...

I'm at the first Intercept: Fuel...

The flashbacks are nice, because they bring back some favorite characters frim the first book... but the retcon insertion of Sabetha reminds me of Dawn in Buffy and the like... even tho we knew she always existed murkily...

(view spoiler)


message 36: by Timelord Iain (last edited Feb 13, 2018 04:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Beste wrote: "Iain wrote: "Not expecting an HEA in book 6/7 Beste?"

I know I'm just trying to say I will stop reading before the book he dies."


I hope he doesn't die... if that's what this series is building towards, it will be a great disappointment, for me...

I don't read to be told Life Sucks, Then You Die


Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "Beste wrote: "Iain wrote: "Not expecting an HEA in book 6/7 Beste?"

I know I'm just trying to say I will stop reading before the book he dies."

I hope he doesn't die... if that's what this series..."

Hahhhahha lets write it to Lynch :)


Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments 13% in: All of the flashbacks are making me cry for the Sanza twins. I love them so much.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Chapter 6, about 50% through. (view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "13% in: All of the flashbacks are making me cry for the Sanza twins. I love them so much."

Totally. All the feels ♥


Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Iain wrote: "Beste wrote: "@Iain I saw your comment on the Red Seas thread; Ive been telling the same about the disastrous endings of his schemes. Yet I say again if there weren't a book 4 I would give up at 2 ..."

@ Iain : I agree with you that (view spoiler)


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Barry wrote: "Iain wrote: "Beste wrote: "@Iain I saw your comment on the Red Seas thread; Ive been telling the same about the disastrous endings of his schemes. Yet I say again if there weren't a book 4 I would ..."

This third book does a lot of focused examination... of Locke Lamora, and of Father Chains... at least Lynch is self-aware of where his books have headed...

I'm around 80% now: and Sabetha hasn't done much to endear me to her any more than she had before...

These revelations in Chapter 9 tho... talk about a curveball out of left-field... I didn't see that coming...

It's 7 books, by the way:

The Thorn of Emberlain
The Ministry of Necessity
The Mage and the Master Spy
Inherit the Night


Beste | 1163 comments Iain wrote: "Barry wrote: "Iain wrote: "Beste wrote: "@Iain I saw your comment on the Red Seas thread; Ive been telling the same about the disastrous endings of his schemes. Yet I say again if there weren't a b..."

These book names though...
I think somewhere around these 4 books Locke becomes a James Bond :) We know he serves the good from book 1.


Adina | 23 comments Ginger wrote: "I started it last night as well. I didn't get through the whole prologue but I like where Lynch is going with the book. Showing Lamora back in the thieving den as a kid. It just pulls you right bac..." i was browsing this threat to decide if i wanted to do this BR and i saw that you are doing it. You know what, i''m in as well. Forget what i was planning to read. It will be more fun in a group.


Zaara | 4153 comments Beste wrote: "Hahhhahha lets write it to Lynch :) "

My wishlist for this series, well apart from Lynch to just publish the next one already, was for Locke to become a sort of major Capa hisself, rather than just a garrista. Like him on the Crooked Warden, not the political, side of things. Or well, if there were politics then for them to be internecine/intergang...all sneaky and splintery. @Beste...I also have detailed plans for Jean Tannen...😂😂😂 but those are not book-relevant...so 🙊

SPOILERY WISHLIST-Y DISCUSSION OF BOOK 1 (Lies of Locke Lamora)
(view spoiler)

Which of course didn't happen...bcuz Nazca...
*sound of splintering glass*

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "13% in: All of the flashbacks are making me cry for the Sanza twins. I love them so much."

Oh yeah, @Diana, the Sanzas. You love them so much more knowing what happens...

@all...I'm not even in this read...but I was lurking and then (sorry) I randomly crashed the thread
1. bcuz I'm feeling guilty I din't post so much on the LoLL and (did a bit better) Red Seas threds, but not nearly as much as the essays I usually post.
2. got really greedy for a nice spoiler from Beste abt her thoughts on Sabetha so here's my formal request @Beste...mwhaaaaa!
Pls post.

You too @Di, @Siobhan...
Same please + don't you guys have wishes on how you'd like for the series to go? I mean we ALL want Bug and the Sanzas back, no?

But I'm not gonna type the same request all over again...😹 thrice...pls don't mind. But DO post lots of spoilers.
If I finish Tower Lord and Dreamer's Pool...

@Adina and Ginger...yeah it is ALWAYS more fun reading in a group.


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments What do you guys feel is the main story of this book?... the present in Carthane?... or the past?

I feel like the Carthan bits are the Interludes to the flashback story... altho I think they're getting 50/50 page time...


Timelord Iain | 14947 comments I finished... and I kinda wish I'd waited for #4 to release: (view spoiler)

(mostly non-spoiler summary: the ending is cliff-hangery and we don't know when the next book will release)


Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments 1) I'm about 60%. I really hate Sabetha
2) I totally thought this was a trilogy. Didn't realize this wasn't a last book.
3) This book is haunting my dreams. I dreamt that I was leading around a guy the way Sabetha leads around Locke.


message 49: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger | 23 comments Adina wrote: " i was browsing this threat to decide if i wanted to do this BR and i saw that you are doing it. You know what, i''m in as well. Forget what i was planning to read. It will be more fun in a group."

AWESOME! Welcome aboard Adina. I'm reading this pretty slow but I'm glad I'm doing a BR. I've been meaning to read this for over a year now.


Adina | 23 comments Ginger wrote: "Adina wrote: " i was browsing this threat to decide if i wanted to do this BR and i saw that you are doing it. You know what, i''m in as well. Forget what i was planning to read. It will be more fu..." Same, same. Slow and meaning to read it for year. I need to finish some nooks for Netgalley so they go first.


« previous 1 3
back to top